General Chat

Stevo985

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The missus went for an eye test in Specsavers (inside our local Morrisons) today. So while I was waiting I went for a coffee in their café. Looked at the prices board - Americano, £1.99. Went round to the till.

"Americano, please".

"That'll be £2.39" 

"It says £1.99 up there" 

"Oh, that? That's wrong" 

Not that I care much about the extra 40p, but it's just sloppy not to change the prices board, and possibly even in breach of regulations. 

Cut her, harsh but fair 👍

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Theyre legally obliged to sell you that for 1.99 or it's false advertising.

That's what I thought. I did consider arguing the toss, but in the end decided I didn't want to be that guy. 

It’s been a while since I worked in retail but when something clearly mispriced in Virgin/Our Price we just withdrew it from sale. There was not an obligation as much as I recall to sell it at that price. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It’s been a while since I worked in retail but when something clearly mispriced in Virgin/Our Price we just withdrew it from sale. There was not an obligation as much as I recall to sell it at that price. 

Indeed. Typically, a shop displays a wrong price, and when they're alerted, they can very much just say "sorry that's a mistake", and take it off sale. There's absolutely no obligation to sell at an incorrect price just because you've advertised it. Many shops would for a bit of goodwill.

Where they might get into trouble is the fact that they display the wrong price, are aware it's the wrong price, people have made them aware it's the wrong price, yet they've continued to leave it uncorrected.  I'm very much a layman, but I suspect this may fall foul of Unfair Trading Regulations and could be considered bait advertising.

Once it's clear that it's not a reasonable mistake and that they're knowingly making the invitation at a specified price that they have no intention of honouring, it becomes a serious issue. If they'd been pissy about it, I'd be reporting them for the lulz.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

No obligation to sell at that price because if they physically couldn't (out of stock for example) they would be in breach of contract every time someone tried to buy it.

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, when some of the stickers fall off a car in the showroom, they are not obliged to sell you the Ferrari for 9.99

This was how I visualised it, just without the ferrari. Perhaps I need to think bigger!

And then I thought of people swapping price stickers over on tins of beans and such and it made sense.

Anyway go back today mooney and let us know if they've changed the board the suspense is killing me :D

I worked on a help desk at a dot com retail site many years ago and someone accidentally listed the entire boxset of Friends Dvds at the price of a single season (about a £150 difference!). Overnight thousands of orders came in and the next day I had to cancel the orders, let people know that there had been a mistake and advice people that the listed price was an invitation to buy and as long as they were told before the item was shipped and charged that we could with draw it.

I've never been called a word removed quite as often as I did that day, which, as Bananrama would say, is really saying something 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've had a couple of experiences of getting things at 'wrong' low prices, which were honoured. One was the complete recordings of John Martyn from Amazon (who admittedly are so rich they don't care) - advertised at 99p instead of £99 (was corrected the next day). The other was a  £30 hardback from a bookclub, advertised at £3. They tried to refuse, but I pushed it, and they caved in. 

13 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Theyre legally obliged to sell you that for 1.99 or it's false advertising.

that's actually a bit of myth that seems to have popped up , but isn't true ...

It can be a criminal offence for a shop to deliberately mislead consumers about the price of a product but if its a genuine mistake and you are told the price  is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price

essentially , the price they offer is an invitation to treat  .. you then offer that price which is legally a consideration  , the shop then can decided to accept that price or not , they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price ....Some shops will sell you the item for the price they have marked , for the sake of good customer service but they are not under a legal obligation to do so.

Edit - seems had I carried on reading the thread , I could have saved some time :) 

Edited by tonyh29

My town hall used to do a few small gigs every so often. They didn't change the beer price listing for a couple of months, so I kept innocently saying, " Oh, I thought the price was this". They did then change the cost out of goodwill but they smartened onto it and updated the price list now.  It is technically for a good cause on the upkeep so the increase is probably fair enough.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, picicata said:

I've never been called a word removed quite as often as I did that day, which, as Bananrama would say, is really saying something 

People who watch friends calling you a word removed ?

b6a.jpg

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

that's actually a bit of myth that seems to have popped up , but isn't true ...

It can be a criminal offence for a shop to deliberately mislead consumers about the price of a product but if its a genuine mistake and you are told the price  is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price

essentially , the price they offer is an invitation to treat  .. you then offer that price which is legally a consideration  , the shop then can decided to accept that price or not , they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price ....Some shops will sell you the item for the price they have marked , for the sake of good customer service but they are not under a legal obligation to do so.

Edit - seems had I carried on reading the thread , I could have saved some time :) 

It's alright tony. repeat it enough and it might go in. At least we all know my 20 odd years in hospitality and retail weren't wasted now though eh? :D

Â