General Chat

Stevo985

On 21/03/2023 at 08:12, picicata said:

I worked on a help desk at a dot com retail site many years ago and someone accidentally listed the entire boxset of Friends Dvds at the price of a single season (about a £150 difference!). Overnight thousands of orders came in and the next day I had to cancel the orders, let people know that there had been a mistake and advice people that the listed price was an invitation to buy and as long as they were told before the item was shipped and charged that we could with draw it.

I've never been called a word removed quite as often as I did that day, which, as Bananrama would say, is really saying something 

I just don't get the mindset of people. If that was me, I'd know it was error and that I would be chancing my arm. Get it cheaply, great, if not, then no worries, at least I tried. I'd never dream of insulting a member of staff for doing their job. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I just don't get the mindset of people. If that was me, I'd know it was error and that I would be chancing my arm. Get it cheaply, great, if not, then no worries, at least I tried. I'd never dream of insulting a member of staff for doing their job. 

It happens a lot on Hot UK Deals, people pile in on an obvious mis-price then lose their minds when it’s cancelled. Fair enough have a go as sometimes the retailers will take the hit and honour it, but don’t lose any sleep over it when it gets cancelled 9 times out of 10.

Mrs Sidcow left a tape measure on the table. I just picked it up and started using it as a walkie talkie. That's what they were for when I was a kid. 

• Like 2

So after 3 years of working in a hospital during Covid and managing to avoid it, it finally caught up with me.  I haven't been exposed to anyone that I've known to have COVID, so it must be some random public interaction.  We're still required to mask at work, so I doubt I'd suddenly get it from there, especially since I've been vaxxed and boosted to boot.   So far it's just like an annoying cold/flu, but I'm now banished to the guest bedroom/study and forced to wear a mask when amongst the healthy in the house.  I'm not allowed to participate in cooking, emptying the dishwasher, feeding the cat, etc. so not all bad.  I can't go into work for a week so I'll finally be able to check out some of the shows from the TV thread.  I've already watched the first 2 episodes of Chernobyl this evening and suspect I'll finish it tomorrow.   I'm open to recommendations...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

What the actual **** is GB news.

I just seen some of it on Twitter.  Is that a comedy show parody,  what is it ?

Never seen it before today you see,   2 minutes ago to be precise.

It’s a TV channel from a dystopian work of fiction.

It unfortunately escaped to reality 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

What the actual **** is GB news.

I just seen some of it on Twitter.  Is that a comedy show parody,  what is it ?

Never seen it before today you see,   2 minutes ago to be precise.

Far right broadcaster, steady stream of anti trans, anti Europe, anti Meghan, hates the “woke”. A channel for words removed. You will hear people say I watch it for a differing view away from MSM. These are the words removed in the previous sentence. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2023 at 20:51, sidcow said:

Mrs Sidcow left a tape measure on the table. I just picked it up and started using it as a walkie talkie. That's what they were for when I was a kid. 

Did you make a crackling noise when you press that to talk as and say ‘over’ at the end of every message? Over

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

So after 3 years of working in a hospital during Covid and managing to avoid it, it finally caught up with me.  I haven't been exposed to anyone that I've known to have COVID, so it must be some random public interaction.  We're still required to mask at work, so I doubt I'd suddenly get it from there, especially since I've been vaxxed and boosted to boot.   So far it's just like an annoying cold/flu, but I'm now banished to the guest bedroom/study and forced to wear a mask when amongst the healthy in the house.  I'm not allowed to participate in cooking, emptying the dishwasher, feeding the cat, etc. so not all bad.  I can't go into work for a week so I'll finally be able to check out some of the shows from the TV thread.  I've already watched the first 2 episodes of Chernobyl this evening and suspect I'll finish it tomorrow.   I'm open to recommendations...

Get well soon.  I've too managed to avoid it so far (well at least I think I've avoided it).  Someone at work tested positive 3 weeks ago, felt rough for a few days but then was completely fine.  She annoyingly had positive tests on the LFTs for 2 1/2 weeks after mind - she was so happy when she got her negative test during the week and made the point of going into the office on Friday with a few big boxes of Krispy Kremes to celebrate that she's "back". 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Did you make a crackling noise when you press that to talk as and say ‘over’ at the end of every message? Over

Roger that.  Over. 

• Haha 1

So it's Oxford v Cambridge in the final of the boat race again. 

It's high time another university stepped up to the plate. Seems like the draw is fixed each year though to keep these apart till the final. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So it's Oxford v Cambridge in the final of the boat race again. 

It's high time another university stepped up to the plate. Seems like the draw is fixed each year though to keep these apart till the final. 

It’s about the only live sport the BBC can afford to exclusively show nowadays. 

Don’t think I’ve ever sat down to watch it and doubt I ever will. 

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

It’s about the only live sport the BBC can afford to exclusively show nowadays. 

Don’t think I’ve ever sat down to watch it and doubt I ever will. 

I've watched it loads of times. Same with the Grand National. I have zero interest in rowing or horse racing, but it was always a tradition to watch both with my Dad. Signalled the start of spring. And they're both over blessedly quickly. 

On 26/03/2023 at 05:19, il_serpente said:

The Last Of Us has just aired it's first season.

Not sure if you're familiar but it's by the same chap who made Chernobyl (Craig Maizin). It's based on a video game so it's a completely different concept to Chernobyl, obviously. But it's excellent (and no, you don't have to have any familiarity with the game to enjoy it)

• Thanks 1

Bronson denied parole again.

There's a weird story.

He's 70 now and apparently has slowed down and had reformed his violent ways. But he's been in high security sections for so long they don't know if he's truly become a better man or if he's just in an environment that limits his ability to be violent. He's also been in prison so long that there's an argument letting him out would be so difficult for him he'd inevitably end up back in prison - they gave the example that he's never used a cash machine to show how removed from modern life he is.

So it seems that even if they think he's served his time and is reformed, they wouldn't let him out because he wouldn't cope.

It seems pretty much inevitable he's going to be in prison until he dies. He seems like he's incompatible with modern life.

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Bronson denied parole again.

There's a weird story.

He's 70 now and apparently has slowed down and had reformed his violent ways. But he's been in high security sections for so long they don't know if he's truly become a better man or if he's just in an environment that limits his ability to be violent. He's also been in prison so long that there's an argument letting him out would be so difficult for him he'd inevitably end up back in prison - they gave the example that he's never used a cash machine to show how removed from modern life he is.

So it seems that even if they think he's served his time and is reformed, they wouldn't let him out because he wouldn't cope.

It seems pretty much inevitable he's going to be in prison until he dies. He seems like he's incompatible with modern life.

I assume less high profile criminals would get some help once released to adapt to the modern world?

It doesn’t seem like a good reason to me to keep him inside. 

Â