General Chat

Stevo985

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Are they made of cardboard and sticky back plastic?

It seems they are.  Apparently the Trams and trains from the manufacturer CAF are falling apart all over the world. 

I do know that one of the reasons they relaid the tracks down Corporation Street was due to problems with that corner though. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cracks-seen-opening-and-closing-on-inner-west-trams-20211109-p597hm.html

Cracks seen ‘opening and closing’ on inner west trams

Cracks in Sydney’s inner west trams are so extensive that a senior transport official has revealed that they have been seen to open and close even when the light rail has been travelling on straight sections of the network.

Transport for NSW chief operations officer Howard Collins inspected the Spanish-built trams earlier this week, and said cracks in their base were now clearly visible after sections of the vehicle were stripped back.

Engineers are still working to assess the scale of the cracking problem and how to adequately rectify it, as well as pinpointing whether the cause was a manufacturing fault or an issue with how the trams were operated. The cost of the rectification work, and who will pay for it, are also yet to be determined.

Four new trams for the inner west line are currently on order from the original manufacturer CAF, while Parramatta’s future light rail service will also use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Impressions of Liverpool. Like it lots. 

It seems like they don't like street lights. What the hell? It's so dark and feels unsafe. The exception is on dual carriageways. Very well lit, because cars don't have headlights? 

Also very few pedestrian crossings. 

Edited by Anthony

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

Impressions of Liverpool. Like it lots. 

It seems like they don't like street lights. What the hell? It's so dark and feels unsafe. The exception is on dual carriageways. Very well lit, because cars don't have headlights? 

Also very few pedestrian crossings. 

Saving on the leccy bills, they've turned half the lights off to save the planet

People don't use pedestrian crossings in Liverpool they just wander into the road wherever they feel like

This is a Liverpool Pedestrian Crossing, the council think its fantastic, confused the f*** out of me (and everyone else I think)

0_New-crossing-installed-in-Liverpool.jp

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

People don't use pedestrian crossings in Liverpool they just wander into the road wherever they feel like

This is a Liverpool Pedestrian Crossing, the council think its fantastic, confused the f*** out of me (and everyone else I think)

0_New-crossing-installed-in-Liverpool.jp

Not all Liverpudlians are like that. I knew you’d find some common ground…

D80061F7-A666-4F85-855E-7556922EFFCF.jpeg

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not all Liverpudlians are like that. I knew you’d find some common ground…

Thats in London, talking of which Pull McCarthorse was in Waterstones today scribbling in some books of his nonsense poetry

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Thats in London, talking of which Pull McCarthorse was in Waterstones today scribbling in some books of his nonsense poetry

Yeah I know it’s London, but they’re still Liverpudlians on a no nonsense pedestrian crossing, albeit 25% shoeless. 

Talking of London, I'd still like to experience living in London for a while. I'd like to rent a nice property in central London (Hampstead, Marylebone, Belgravia, etc) for 12 months and experience the city fully. Go to all the museums, galleries, etc. 

Might be something I do in the first year I retire (hopefully mid 50's). Once done I'd move back to my rural home in the shires I hopefully have by then! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Talking of London, I'd still like to experience living in London for a while. I'd like to rent a nice property in central London (Hampstead, Marylebone, Belgravia, etc) for 12 months and experience the city fully. Go to all the museums, galleries, etc. 

Might be something I do in the first year I retire (hopefully mid 50's). Once done I'd move back to my rural home in the shires I hopefully have by then! 

Me too, I went up to my uncle's on Saturday and he is a few stops on the tube from both Wembley and Lord's on the Jubilee line.  Not too central but still so much to go to.  Only thing is I've been ill the last couple of days but I won't blame it on the Londoners.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Mate, I'm in Hackney and I don't bother unless I've been showing people around. A couple of points... Firstly Hampstead ain't fudgin' central and secondly, you won't need your car. 

Most importantly though, I'd happily meet up and buy you a pint. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Mate, I'm in Hackney and I don't bother unless I've been showing people around. A couple of points... Firstly Hampstead ain't fudgin' central and secondly, you won't need your car. 

Most importantly though, I'd happily meet up and buy you a pint. 

Strange isn't it, when you live there you don't bother. When I was in Norfolk a woman said she likes the Sea Life Centre and Cadbury World in Brum... i've not been to either! I've worked within a few hundred yards of the former for 20 years! :D 

I'd leave the fleet of cars at my country estate ;) 

What are the best real ale pubs you know in London? 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

If you were going to stay a bit longer? Hampstead is nice, but Primrose Hill is nearer stuff. Marylebone or Fitzrovia could be cool if you wanted really central? Belgravia's a bit drab, and you'd be moaning about the prices at your local ;)

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Town's been strangled by crazy rents. Places that were shit (Peckham) or boring (Tooting) 20 years ago are alright now. We take visitors out locally these days.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Me too, I went up to my uncle's on Saturday and he is a few stops on the tube from both Wembley and Lord's on the Jubilee line.  Not too central but still so much to go to.  Only thing is I've been ill the last couple of days but I won't blame it on the Londoners.

I was fortunate enough to land a place in St Johns Wood/Swiss Cottage (just around the corner from Lords) in the 90's when I was a student. About 5 houses down from Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit (who's house had a permanent vigil of fans camped outside.)

Saw Mel Smith in the local a lot before he essentially killed himself with too much coke and booze. Fascinating place to live as a young, rather naive lad. If I'd somehow managed to buy the place I was renting (I was offered the chance) it would be worth about 7-8 mill by now. But honestly London just exhausted me and I wanted to try my luck in the US.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Xann said:

If you were going to stay a bit longer? Hampstead is nice, but Primrose Hill is nearer stuff. Marylebone or Fitzrovia could be cool if you wanted really central? Belgravia's a bit drab, and you'd be moaning about the prices at your local ;)

Town's been strangled by crazy rents. Places that were shit (Peckham) or boring (Tooting) 20 years ago are alright now. We take visitors out locally these days.

Remind me what part of town are you in? I was NW1 & NW8 before my swan song year in Greenwich!

Younger me was desperate to live in London. I was glamoured by the gigs and the shops. That stopped a long time ago. I try not to avoid it if I can, preferring to travel further for a gig if needed. London is fairly despicable and after the they introduced the LTNs, that was the deal breaker. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

London's OK for an occasional visit. No way in hell would I want to live there. 

Yeah this is my view. 

I quite enjoy a short stay down there, two or three nights. I suspect I’d soon find it tiresome once the novelty of the hustle and bustle had worn off.

In all fairness I’d probably struggle with most cities. The only time I ever feel like I could happily deal with city life on a regular basis is on a Sunday when it’s all a bit more relaxed. If it was like that seven days a week, I’d be fine.

Â