General Chat

Stevo985

23 hours ago, bickster said:

... I'm a jumper

Except I hate heights :crylaugh:

By the time you got to the business end of the plummet, you’d be quite low, so I can’t see it causing any discomfort.

• Haha 1

Popped to the golf course today for a quick 9 holes and got my first ever birdie. Still buzzing ⛳⛳⛳

We just got back from a short break at the seaside. We went to Scarborough, mainly to see an Alan Ayckbourne play at the Stephen Joseph Theatre, and got a Groupon deal for two nights B&B at the Grand Hotel. The Grand is a humoungous Victorian pile, which we knew to be much faded from its glory days, but my god, we hadn't realised how much. By a huge margin the worst place I have ever stayed. Dirty. Smelly. Rude staff. Completely inedible catering. Bingo every night. And the clientele made an episode of 'Benidorm' look like a Buckingham Palace garden party - morbid obesity, vests, bizarre tattoos, foul mouths and an average IQ in single figures. 

Never, ever again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We just got back from a short break at the seaside. We went to Scarborough, mainly to see an Alan Ayckbourne play at the Stephen Joseph Theatre, and got a Groupon deal for two nights B&B at the Grand Hotel. The Grand is a humoungous Victorian pile, which we knew to be much faded from its glory days, but my god, we hadn't realised how much. By a huge margin the worst place I have ever stayed. Dirty. Smelly. Rude staff. Completely inedible catering. Bingo every night. And the clientele made an episode of 'Benidorm' look like a Buckingham Palace garden party - morbid obesity, vests, bizarre tattoos, foul mouths and an average IQ in single figures. 

Never, ever again. 

At some point in those kind of experiences I always find myself saying, this is gonna make a good story one day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

At some point in those kind of experiences I always find myself saying, this is gonna make a good story one day.

I suppose there was an element of that. It really was beyond Little Britain levels. 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suppose there was an element of that. It really was beyond Little Britain levels. 

That reminds me of a greasy spoon cafe i went to in dublin with my cousin. Chipped enamel mugs like you take away for camping trips, tables that were scratched/marked to buggery, paint peeling off the walls...you get the picture. I said to my cousin was she serious about this place, as we waited for our order and she said it was deliberately that way - a kind of very shabby chic (the place was heaving, on a frosty sunday morning I admit) and it was THE place to go for an ironic fry up. 

Well...when the food came, I saw what she meant - it was out of this world (so were the prices mind). It was billed as a vintage cafe, a throw back to basics if you like.

the point I'm making is, perhaps your hotel might be setting a trend for a grotbags type hotel ? Similar to restaurants where the waiting staff deliberately insult you as part of the service ? A hotel full of "yeah, I know !" and self righteous brothers types; where chav is the fashion ? Could be on to a money spinner here ?

9 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

That reminds me of a greasy spoon cafe i went to in dublin with my cousin. Chipped enamel mugs like you take away for camping trips, tables that were scratched/marked to buggery, paint peeling off the walls...you get the picture. I said to my cousin was she serious about this place, as we waited for our order and she said it was deliberately that way - a kind of very shabby chic (the place was heaving, on a frosty sunday morning I admit) and it was THE place to go for an ironic fry up. 

Well...when the food came, I saw what she meant - it was out of this world (so were the prices mind). It was billed as a vintage cafe, a throw back to basics if you like.

the point I'm making is, perhaps your hotel might be setting a trend for a grotbags type hotel ? Similar to restaurants where the waiting staff deliberately insult you as part of the service ? A hotel full of "yeah, I know !" and self righteous brothers types; where chav is the fashion ? Could be on to a money spinner here ?

Haha, nice idea. If only the food had been 'out of this world' in any good way. It was what I imagine the catering might be like in prison. Maybe worse (never been inside, so I couldn't say). But yeah, it might work as a sort of 'Westworld' experience for middle class sociologists with masochistic tendencies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/07/2018 at 09:36, villa4europe said:

still shot a 108 but well done on that birdie pal ?

I've only been playing for about 12 months mate, believe me there have been a few ton plus rounds ?

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

you'd have to **** properly love your small children to buy them a £200 toy soldier

especially a glass one, that's only ending one way

Children in their 30s & 40s. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Children in their 30s & 40s. 

Yeah I imagine they're bought by kidults who aren't good with money.  In fact I think that's Swarovski's whole business model.

Â