General Chat

Stevo985

OK, serious cap on.

http://itooamoxford.tumblr.com/

Some have probably seen it. Worth a gander.

Hardly any of them are malicious just bore through lack of knowledge.  

In Korea somebody assumed I was gay because I was Western and no Koreans are gay, and an American asked me if I knew somebody from Germany on the basis of me being European.

OK, serious cap on.

In Korea somebody assumed I was gay because I was Western and no Koreans are gay, and an American asked me if I knew somebody from Germany on the basis of me being European.

Locals here keep assuming English isn't my first language.

Oh, and the Chinese who know that I'm Singaporean keep assuming that I don't speak or write Chinese.

As a result, I often get treated by new acquaintances in a manner that feels condescending to me.

None of it is malicious, but it's quite annoying.

Edited by legov

OK, serious cap on.

Locals here keep assuming English isn't my first language.

Oh, and the Chinese who know that I'm Singaporean keep assuming that I don't speak or write Chinese.

As a result, I often get treated by new acquaintances in a manner that feels condescending to me.

None of it is malicious, but it's quite annoying.

Yeah lot's of people are just not that well informed but I think this whole Oxford campaign is a bit uppity.  

Nightmare start to the day, got a call to say mum was rushed to hospital. Sat up here now trying to be the strong one for all.

:(

Sorry to hear the news mate.  You and your family have my thoughts. 

Nightmare start to the day, got a call to say mum was rushed to hospital. Sat up here now trying to be the strong one for all.

That's shit news mate - Thoughts are with you and the family.

Fingers crossed here for you mate!

this whole Oxford campaign is a bit uppity.  

I don't know, it really resonated with me.

And there, yer honour, is why it is a good campaign.

kind of vaguely linked to this

my nipper has just brought home the school photo of the entire year group and it's content was, er, slightly unexpected

182 kids in the photo plus 12 teaching staff

of the 194 faces the breakdown was:

'white' 189, 'asian' 5, 'black' 0

of the 5 Asians, 3 are of Chinese background (anecdotally according to my nipper)

of the 'white' contingent, again anecdotally, there are quite a contingent of Polish, guessed at about 7 or 8 plus a few other east Europeans and 2 French

I can only explain this as a strange quirk of that year group, to walk around town, it's a far far more cosmopolitan place than that.

I think I live in the whitest part of the UK. It really is quite something. I was at least 13 before I met a person of colour.

Why would anyone live in NI besides inertia?

I think you're discrediting Northern Ireland. Morpheus lives there!

Back in June last year I put a claim in for some PPI (the bank actually contacted me to tell me I may be owed some) they said no at first but they have sent me a letter to say that I am actually owed £135, I have heard that you should go through the FOS procedure and you almost always end up getting more.

Anyone else gone through this, should I just take the money or should I pursue it through the financial ombudsmen service?

Â