General Chat

Stevo985

I cycle to work through Central London every day and have done for the last 5 years without incident.

My commute takes me past the sites where 2 of the cyclists were killed this week (including the guy last night).

The ride in to and from work is still the most fun part of my day. It's also free and I get all the exercise I need to not be over weight.

There is no way I'd consider a different type of commute to work.

Ive had too many close calls with nobhead drivers and buses so I dont really give a crap. I'm conscientious enough when on the pavement so I'm happy with myself. 

The real problem in this country is that our building and road infrastructure planning were so short sighted initially that there isnt any room for proper cycle paths to built along side roads that you would find in Europe. 

Have we reached a consnsus that our streets weren't designed for a mass commute using multiple transport systems from shoes to bendy buses and that nobheads can be found using every mode of transport?

I'd happily use a bike except for the bit where I have to filter off the M4 on to the south bound M25 - anything less than a tank there is just asking for trouble due to fucktards, lost fucktards, timid fucktards and immortal boy racer van driving fucktards and Audi's.

• Like 1

aaand BOF, like a VT Nostradamus is proved right. 

Yes, that was particularly prescient; and a real shame. I think the comment about cyclists being killed because it is their choice to 'take that risk' was nothing short of disgraceful.

You sure about that?

hoverboard-replica-prop.jpeg

Studies show that regular commuter cycling will extend your life and the rish of death is actually quite small. Last year there were 12 cyclists killed on London roads whilst there were 69 pedestrians killed.  

This week has been paticularly crazy though, 5 people in 9 days, I think part of it is the clocks going back and everyone commuting in the dark all of a sudden.

I merely expressed an opinion linked to something mentioned, I assumed this was a general debate rather than one confined to London.

The relevance to the law on pavements is that I would spend 80% of the time on pavements because that seems the safest option. I believe it should be what all cyclists do because the roads (and other road users) are dangerous for cyclists.

Oh dear.

a. You're breaking the law

b. Feck the pedestrians, yes?

small children, the elderly, the disabled should all jump out of the way as you zoom past? There's a law against it for a reason, squire.

So because I stated that I use the pathways I now expect everyone else to get out of my way? I didn't realise I made that statement so could you tell me where you got that from?

I was always careful, I stayed out of peoples ways (stopping to allow people to go past in the opposite direction if needs be) and tried to avoid any issues in general.

Bit of an over the top thing for you to say really, wasn't it?

You're not really getting it. Maybe you think you're safe and conscientious when cycling on the pavement, but who's to say the next fella will be as aware? We have laws like this for a reason, they're (usually) made to account for all eventualities. 

On the road it's you (as in anyone) taking your own life into your own hands. On the pavement you (not necessarily you) become a danger to others. It's quite simple. 

You sure about that?

Studies show that regular commuter cycling will extend your life and the rish of death is actually quite small. Last year there were 12 cyclists killed on London roads whilst there were 69 pedestrians killed.  

This week has been paticularly crazy though, 5 people in 9 days, I think part of it is the clocks going back and everyone commuting in the dark all of a sudden.

Sooooooo, you wouldn't take a hover board to work then?

So because I stated that I use the pathways I now expect everyone else to get out of my way? I didn't realise I made that statement so could you tell me where you got that from?

I was always careful, I stayed out of peoples ways (stopping to allow people to go past in the opposite direction if needs be) and tried to avoid any issues in general.

You're not really getting it. Maybe you think you're safe and conscientious when cycling on the pavement, but who's to say the next fella will be as aware? We have laws like this for a reason, they're (usually) made to account for all eventualities. 

On the road it's you (as in anyone) taking your own life into your own hands. On the pavement you (not necessarily you) become a danger to others. It's quite simple. 

That's why I mentioned having it accepted practice that cyclists use the paths but in their space, split the paths in half like I have seen in my area, this should be more common.

Also the bold part is wrong, its the law forcing people who cycle to take chances on the road, I assume in many cases they want to use the road but if they don't they have no legal right, so must find alternative travel. It's not a choice besides choosing how you commute.

That's why I mentioned having it accepted practice that cyclists use the paths but in their space, split the paths in half like I have seen in my area, this should be more common.

Also the bold part is wrong, its the law forcing people who cycle to take chances on the road, I assume in many cases they want to use the road but if they don't they have no legal right, so must find alternative travel. It's not a choice besides choosing how you commute.

It should be more common, but it's only half a solution. It's just not possible country wide. 

Indeed. The law tells you to either cycle in the road or you find alternative transport. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Seems fair to me. 

You sure about that?

Studies show that regular commuter cycling will extend your life and the rish of death is actually quite small. Last year there were 12 cyclists killed on London roads whilst there were 69 pedestrians killed.

Sooooooo, you wouldn't take a hover board to work then?

Haha the pic didn't come through first time I looked :P

When 2015 finally arrives I will reassess my hover board options (and look at getting some Nike high tops with no laces).

• Like 2

It should be more common, but it's only half a solution. It's just not possible country wide. 

Indeed. The law tells you to either cycle in the road or you find alternative transport. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Seems fair to me. 

It's still better than the current set up. In city centres and towns it can be done (and wouldn't be the hardest thing to implement), grants it is much harder in the countrysides and small villages etc. but it's a good start point.

Costing can be an issue as it was to me when travelling to school and then college, a bus pass was too expensive so I cycled, during early hours when people are travelling to work it was busy where I live and cycling in the roads everyday would be dangerous, on the occasion that I did venture into the roads I had a few close calls with vehicles which is why I generally used the paths.

Edited by adw95

Sigh, dammit I missed the lengthy spider discussion.

In general I don't kill anything I don't have to. I have quite a fondness for bugs, with the exception of house flies and annoying tiny biting flies and even then I don't kill them. It's not about animal rights per se, it just seems a bit pointless to me. They're not going to harm me in any way, so why bother?  They're just doing what comes naturally to them. Even the biting flies don't really hurt you, and it's not like I ever really see any of them anyway.

As for why do this when one accidentally kills various tiny critters accidentally throughout the day, well that's a bit daft if you ask me. I can't help killing those guys, but those I can avoid killing I will.

Edited by Ginko

I am going to Villa Park in february!!! So awesome! First time, long overdue is an understatement! Just felt I had to share the news because that is gonna be a day that will stay with me forever!  :D  :flag:

Let's hope it stays with you for the right reasons.  I assume it's the West Ham game you will be at?  Hopefully we tonk them for you.  UTV!

Â