General Chat

Stevo985

I hate  activity themed stag do's, last few i have been on I opted out of the paint-balling, quad biking etc and met up with them later.

Stag do's should be lots of drink and food in a different city for a weekend! 

• Like 1

What's Yorkshire like?

Where about in Yorkshire? It's a big place. York is lovely. Spent a lot of time in Leeds, and find it to be a nice little city. I've been to Sheffield a couple of times, and it seemed OK. Doncaster seemed a lot better than I thought it was going to be as well. I live not far from North Yorkshire, and there are some lovely towns dotted about. The North Yorkshire Moors are among some of the most beautiful country side in the country. The coast is nice too, Whitby, Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington etc.

I'm sure Mr Mooney can give you some more detail, as he's a resident.    

Thanks man. Thinking about relocating. Easier said than done blah blah and it'll probably never happen especially with job situation. Yorkshire just always seems to come up as being a decent place! Went to Leeds the other week and found it alright..

Yeah, I like Leeds a lot. I've considered moving there myself in the past. Got a few mates who live there, and they love it. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for? If it's city living, then Leeds is probably the place to be. If you're looking or something more sedate, then I'd probably head a little further north, or the coast. 

City would ideally be my best bet if I were to get something part-time while doing a course. It was there or Sheffield anyway. Is it even possible or am I overthinking it? I would literally have no friends or family up there...

Why you thinking of relocating? From another post I have ready you said you don't like where you live now? Is upping sticks and moving to a new county where you don't know anyone really going to make you happy? Reading between the lines you sound as though you are stale/bored of your current situation and you want to change. No issue with that but you can change your situation without leaving your friends and family behind. You mention that Yorkshire seems a decent place to live yet you live in Worcestershire, one of the most lovely and picturesque areas in middle England. There is good and bad everywhere, you may not have the same view of Yorkshire if you visited some of the rougher areas of Rotherham or Bradford! 

So, what is the reason for wanting to leave and start again somewhere else?

/counsellor 

It's my mates stag do tomorrow, there's about 20/30 of us going aged between 30-40.  We're getting the ferry across to France for the night. (No, not Calais before you ask!)

The groom has booked the afternoon at an 'Adventure Park' which after a bit of research, seems to be aimed at 10-15 year olds and looks pretty lame.

I've said from day 1 that I'm out and I'd rather go for a lunch and meet them at the hotel when they're done.  Apparently a few have said it's pretty bad form.  Personally I wouldn't care if it was the other way round.  I'm sure the groom has only booked this anyway so he doesn't have to drink as much.

How out of order am I if I sack off the adventure park ?

Honestly if you're planning to sack it off to sit in a restaurant by yourself and watch football, that is pretty out of order. You need a better excuse than that. 

At first I read your post that you just didn't want to go all the way to northern France for a stag-do when you're just going to be sitting on a jungle gym with pre-pubescents, which would be absolutely fair, but if you're going to France anyway . . .

What's Yorkshire like?

Where about in Yorkshire? It's a big place. York is lovely. Spent a lot of time in Leeds, and find it to be a nice little city. I've been to Sheffield a couple of times, and it seemed OK. Doncaster seemed a lot better than I thought it was going to be as well. I live not far from North Yorkshire, and there are some lovely towns dotted about. The North Yorkshire Moors are among some of the most beautiful country side in the country. The coast is nice too, Whitby, Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington etc.

I'm sure Mr Mooney can give you some more detail, as he's a resident.    

Thanks man. Thinking about relocating. Easier said than done blah blah and it'll probably never happen especially with job situation. Yorkshire just always seems to come up as being a decent place! Went to Leeds the other week and found it alright..

Yeah, I like Leeds a lot. I've considered moving there myself in the past. Got a few mates who live there, and they love it. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for? If it's city living, then Leeds is probably the place to be. If you're looking or something more sedate, then I'd probably head a little further north, or the coast. 

City would ideally be my best bet if I were to get something part-time while doing a course. It was there or Sheffield anyway. Is it even possible or am I overthinking it? I would literally have no friends or family up there...

Why you thinking of relocating? From another post I have ready you said you don't like where you live now? Is upping sticks and moving to a new county where you don't know anyone really going to make you happy? Reading between the lines you sound as though you are stale/bored of your current situation and you want to change. No issue with that but you can change your situation without leaving your friends and family behind. You mention that Yorkshire seems a decent place to live yet you live in Worcestershire, one of the most lovely and picturesque areas in middle England. There is good and bad everywhere, you may not have the same view of Yorkshire if you visited some of the rougher areas of Rotherham or Bradford! 

So, what is the reason for wanting to leave and start again somewhere else?

/counsellor 

Haha I completely understand what you're saying man. It all stems from wanting to go back into education and doing what all of my friends did after leaving school (College then Uni) whereas I went straight into full time work, working horrendous shift patterns and being surrounded by idiots. But I really wanted to start earning my own money. Anyways, 7 years later and I'm still at the same place. I feel if I don't make a change soon I never will. I'm 23.

Regarding the relocating, that was just something I was looking into on the side as I've heard nothing but positive stuff about old school friends going to certain uni's and loving the locations, some even moving there afterwards. Liverpool, Sheffield and like our friend up there - Leeds. It's not that I dislike the county, I think there's plenty of things to do here and it's bloody green compared to alot of places. Kidderminster is a dying rut though mate, I can assure you of that. I want to move, and I guess if I'm gonna move why not venture out a bit? As Dave said it's only 2-3 hour drive away... is that really so bad? I'm not expecting wherever I go to be like heaven but I can bet good money it'll be a hell of a lot better than this town!

As I said before, it's so easy talking about it and I might need bringing back down to earth, but if it is possible ... why not?

Edited by Warnock

It's my mates stag do tomorrow, there's about 20/30 of us going aged between 30-40.  We're getting the ferry across to France for the night. (No, not Calais before you ask!)

The groom has booked the afternoon at an 'Adventure Park' which after a bit of research, seems to be aimed at 10-15 year olds and looks pretty lame.

I've said from day 1 that I'm out and I'd rather go for a lunch and meet them at the hotel when they're done.  Apparently a few have said it's pretty bad form.  Personally I wouldn't care if it was the other way round.  I'm sure the groom has only booked this anyway so he doesn't have to drink as much.

To be honest I think it's massively out of order.

It's a stag do. You do whatever is planned and if you don't like it then it doesn't matter. It's not about you.

I don't think it works like that tbh .... heck I even opt out of the witty t-shirts that some genius always comes up with as a brainwave on these trips :mellow:  ... and i still get invited so i really don't think anyone cares if you do selective bits

there are a few of us in our group ( myself mainly)  that stay up  drinking ludicrous cocktails that you set on fire until 7am and a few that like going clubbing , a few that like going out on the pull , two of them like to peel off during the evening and go  sit in an old mans pub and have a quiet drink for a few hours (no idea why , but they enjoy it) 

So , we usually start the day together as a gang and gradually filter out in the afternoon  (some like to go back and shower and put a shirt on for the evening for example)  , meet up again a bit later and then around 4 or 5 am start going our own ways again  ...

the good thing about your mates is that they are your mates and don't care what you do  ..

Honestly if you're planning to sack it off to sit in a restaurant by yourself and watch football, that is pretty out of order. You need a better excuse than that. 

At first I read your post that you just didn't want to go all the way to northern France for a stag-do when you're just going to be sitting on a jungle gym with pre-pubescents, which would be absolutely fair, but if you're going to France anyway . . .

Did I mention I have Vertigo ;)

The way I see it, we have 24 hours in France, with the lads.  Why waste that time playing on Jungle Gym ??

Did I mention I didn't even get an invite to the wedding ??  Only the reception......so in theory I should only have to do half the stag do ? :D

As a general rule, even if I think it's a bit rubbish, I'd just do whatever activities are on the stag.

However, if it was involving heights or something else I wasn't happy with, I wouldn't give a shit if I was the best man, I wouldn't take part.

In my experience, activities are normally discussed well in advance and if anyone has any reservations they just speak up.

88ff892fc14b71098e661877dbf72d70.jpg

Out for a walk in Yorkshire this afternoon. A virtual pint of Sam Smiths for anyone who can tell me where I am.

Pennine way ?

Not far off, but no. The big hill in the background is one of the 'Yorkshire Three Peaks...

Ingleborough.

I spent 3 years at Marne Barracks. (You can see it on the right hand side of the A1 as you drive north through Catterick) Whilst there I played regimental football in the North Yorkshire Services League. We had to play other units based in places such as Alnwick , Ripon , Fylingdales, Whitby and so on and i have to say that driving to away games was brilliant. That area of the world is gorgeous and the trips to Fylingdales in particular were incredibly picturesque. 

• Like 1

Â