Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Lennon is in very good form and has been for a good while, I think he's more effective nowadays than he used to do. Defenses have trouble dealing with him, he might not be the best at picking a great pass when he gets to a good position but often something comes out of it one way or the other because he stretches defenses.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs have a stronger first team? never. What players from your first team would get into ours? IMO 1 or perhaps 2.

Defence . Villa > Spurs.

The rest? Young > Modric, Milner > Lennon. Petrov> Jenas, Huddlesetone. Palacious > NRC, Sidwell.

Attack Defoe => Gabby. Carew > Crouch

I didn't make any comments about first XIs, tho' I will say now that your first XI comparisons are mostly wide of the mark.

Would you like to say which? I pretty much agree with what he's said. To expand a little on the defense, Warnock is clearly better than Ekotto, Dunne is better than anything you have and the fact they're all injury prone goes against them. RB is close, you could give it either way, but overall our defense is better, the rest of his comparisons are bang on, in my opinion.

I am going to assume you think somehow Modric has been better than Young since he joined, I want to hear your reason.

Fattystone? I don't rate him at all... I mean, apart from waddling around the pitch and wanting to shoot from 30 yards all the time - what does he offer to the team? ...

An excellent range of passes, for instance.

... And no way would I pick Lennon over Milner. Lennon is such a one dimensional winger who is extremely overrated and you always can predict what he's going to do with the ball, and being a winger, you'd expect him to be able to cross the ball which he can't. ...

It's strange then, if defenders "can always predict what he's going to do with the ball", how so few of them ever manage to actually stop him - he almost always goes past them, or delivers a cross or pass, or gets a shot off - short of bringing him down for a free-kick.

In fact I would say he is one of the least predictable wingers in the game, because he sometimes goes inside and sometimes outside and can change direction on a sixpence, at speed. He can also play left or right side and often swaps side during the game.

Milner's better than Lennon and so is Walcott better than Lennon. Both Milner and Walcott have diversity and variety to their game as well as being versatile, Lennon doesn't. If Lennon didn't have the pace that he has - he'd be a Championship-level player at best.

Yeah, Lennons game is very much based on his pace, though he does have very good ball control to be fair. Milner doesn't have pace, but he still beats players or he just does the Beckham approach of putting in an early ball. Anyone that would pick Lennon over Milner must be mad. Milner every time for his defensive work alone.

Fattystone? I don't rate him at all... I mean, apart from waddling around the pitch and wanting to shoot from 30 yards all the time - what does he offer to the team? ...

An excellent range of passes, for instance.

... And no way would I pick Lennon over Milner. Lennon is such a one dimensional winger who is extremely overrated and you always can predict what he's going to do with the ball, and being a winger, you'd expect him to be able to cross the ball which he can't. ...

It's strange then, if defenders "can always predict what he's going to do with the ball", how so few of them ever manage to actually stop him - he almost always goes past them, or delivers a cross or pass, or gets a shot off - short of bringing him down for a free-kick.

In fact I would say he is one of the least predictable wingers in the game, because he sometimes goes inside and sometimes outside and can change direction on a sixpence, at speed. He can also play left or right side and often swaps side during the game.

I've seen quite a bit of Spurs recently (I now get lots of Premier League games on French TV and Spurs have been on several times) and I must say I have been very impressed by Lennon, particularly the last time I saw him (Spurs v Stoke). He seemed to be capable of zipping past defenders almost at will, in a way I haven't seen anyone else doing this season.

On the evidence of that game, I would say he is possibly Spurs' greatest attacking threat (although Crouch also had a very good game against Stoke). At any rate, Spurs looked much more ordinary going forward in their next game against Arsenal, when Lennon was out injured, and I don't think that was solely due to the quality of the opposition.

So, for the forthcoming match at Villa Park, I'd like to see Lennon left out, with Bentley, Keane and Pavlyuchenko all starting, please...

So, for the forthcoming match at Villa Park, I'd like to see Lennon left out, with Bentley, Keane and Pavlyuchenko all starting, please...

Have to agree with Glaston here, Lennon looks very impressive this season. I havent watched him a lot tbh to say whether his crossing's been good enough but certainly I have seen enough to think he's the only player in the league who can zip past players like that. Still, I think I would pick Milner over Lennon for the England right mid slot for his strength and defensive work, which is necessary considering you have Glen Johnson behind you. Bring on a fresh Lennon if things arent going so well after 60 minutes.

And I think we will win if Bentley plays =)

... Anyone that would pick Lennon over Milner must be mad. Milner every time for his defensive work alone.

Milner's a good player, hard-working and intelligent, rarely loses the ball or gives it away, but "defensive work" is not the prime responsibilty of a wide midfielder and is far from being enough reason by itself to pick someone for that position.

Milner's main drawbacks are his relative lack of pace and lack of the extra sparkle and attacking threat as posed by Lennon. He just doesn't have the same ability to cause panic and mayhem in the opposition defence. This is why Lennon IMO will definitely be in Capello's WC squad, whilst Milner, although he stands a good chance of also being in the squad (probably at the expense of Ashley Young), probably still falls into the category of "question mark" in Capello's mind.

... Anyone that would pick Lennon over Milner must be mad. Milner every time for his defensive work alone.

Milner's a good player, hard-working and intelligent, rarely loses the ball or gives it away, but "defensive work" is not the prime responsibilty of a wide midfielder and is far from being enough reason by itself to pick someone for that position.

Milner's main drawbacks are his relative lack of pace and lack of the extra sparkle and attacking threat as posed by Lennon. He just doesn't have the same ability to cause panic and mayhem in the opposition defence. This is why Lennon IMO will definitely be in Capello's WC squad, whilst Milner, although he stands a good chance of also being in the squad (probably at the expense of Ashley Young), probably still falls into the category of "question mark" in Capello's mind.

I think Capello prefers the hard working consistant players which is why Milner gets picked over Ashley Young. I think that works in his favour vs Lennon as well.

So you're basicially calling Milner Kuyt II? Milner's is actually quick and has very good technique and skill, can drag fullbacks out of position cutting inside and outside and has a very good delivery. Lennon is overrated, is just one dimensional and relies on his pace and doesn't deserve to be in the England team any more than Milner.

This is why Lennon IMO will definitely be in Capello's WC squad, whilst Milner, although he stands a good chance of also being in the squad (probably at the expense of Ashley Young), probably still falls into the category of "question mark" in Capello's mind.

I view it as Lennon is in if Walcott is injured, if not it will be Theo and Beckham. Down the left will be Milner and Joe Cole although Downing and Ashley Young would have something to say about that!

Lennon has been on form for a few months, Milner was clearly, IMO, one of Englands better players against Brazil, Capello seems to agree after his comments. Milner has two feet and can play in the middle, left or right, he can also fill in at LB and RB.

To say Lennon gets his crosses in is probably misleading. When i have seen him he is most effective when he beats his man and runs to the by line, this will work against lesser defenders, when you come against top quality and you can't beat the man for pace then Lennon shows his weakness.

A Young has the ability to be better than both of them, he is just off form, if he can get some form (which he appears to be) then he will force the issue.

Suppose its all about opinion, but there is very little between Villa and Spurs IMO, first team and squad.

Yeah, Lennons game is very much based on his pace, though he does have very good ball control to be fair. Milner doesn't have pace, but he still beats players or he just does the Beckham approach of putting in an early ball. Anyone that would pick Lennon over Milner must be mad. Milner every time for his defensive work alone.

Disagree on Milner not having pace. He might not be as quick as Gabby or Lennon (how many people are?) but he certainly has pace.

It was also just a matter of time for non-Villans to get a glimpse at how valuable Milner could be for England and what a vital player he could be too. Each time he's played for England whether in a competitive game or 'friendly' he's always performed better than nearly everyone has expected him to but I do not fit into that category because I know how good Milner is and on current merit, I think he deserves to be in the England team.

If being a winger was only about going forward, id have Lennon over Milner every single time.

But it isnt, its about supporting the full back as well. Which Milner excels at.

Given that, i'd still have Lennon, he just offers more in the attributes that wingers should have when going forward.

Â