Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Lennons game is very much based on his pace, though he does have very good ball control to be fair. Milner doesn't have pace, but he still beats players or he just does the Beckham approach of putting in an early ball. Anyone that would pick Lennon over Milner must be mad. Milner every time for his defensive work alone.

Disagree on Milner not having pace. He might not be as quick as Gabby or Lennon (how many people are?) but he certainly has pace.

Ys, I agree. I meant that he doesn't have the pace in comparison to Lennon, but he is no slouch that's for sure.

I would still personally take Lennon if I was Capello. The way he runs at full backs would scare them shitless, in my opinion, a great player to have in reserve. I think Capello will take Milner, Beckham, Lennon and Joe Cole as the wide men. Barry, Lampard, Gerrard and probably Carrick in the middle.

Given that, i'd still have Lennon, he just offers more in the attributes that wingers should have when going forward.

Running really, really fast out of play?

Lennon offers more than just super-quick pace, and he almost never runs the ball out of play or loses the ball.

His close control (even at pace) is excellent, as is his ability to change direction almost instantly - he seems to skip past players almost effortlessly and really is very difficult to stop by legal means. The value of this is obvious: he pulls defenders this way and that, causing them to lose their shape, to panic and yield spaces for other attackers to exploit.

I'd also say that his crossing ability and general use of the ball has improved, as you'd expect for a player who is still only 22.

For my money Lennon is one of the very best wingers in the Prem and I think you underate him.

When he came on fro Beckahm at the last world cup and started runnign at players I think we all thought "at last" someone prepared to take players on in an England team

Nearly 4 years on and Lennon hasn't match his world cup cameo and the fact Beckham is still in front of Lennon in the pecking order says it all really

For sure he aint as bad as some on here think , but he is not anywhere near as good as GS thinks he is either

I think Lennon is quality.

But, similar to Ashley Young and SWP, his size does him no good in the modern game. Unless wingers are really **** brilliant (Messi) then they have to be 6ft+ in the modern game in order to really succeed. Ronaldo for example is a brilliant athelete, Downing to a lesser extent is a (relatively) big guy and Jovetic for Fiorentina (although from what i seen he plays just off the striker in the ol' George Best position) is a big lad, Di Maria also.

Lennon is quality indeed, but when he comes across the big bastard defences he struggles, as does Ashley Young. As does SWP.

It's sad, but it's the way of the modern game.

For sure he aint as bad as some on here think , but he is not anywhere near as good as GS thinks he is either
I dont think anyone is as good as that Tony.

Feck me with that write up he would be challenging Messi and Ronaldo for world player of the fecking year

IIRC lennons only ever played RW thats the 1 thing id say would stop him from going, theo can play up front milner on left, swp on left (just as poorly mind) and becks in the middle, so if wes brown is going because once upon a time he could play in 2 positions despite being wank at both it could hurt lennons chances

Lennon is a headless chicken.. but sometimes that's what defenders fear... unpredictability and pure pace

The kid undoubtably has blistering pace... doesn't make him a good footballer, but against the right defender he will get results.

Against a decent defender, even a not-so-quick one, though, he'll find it pretty hard, and he's been made to look like a pub league player on many occasions.

As far as the WC goes, I'd like to see an unpreditable quick winger in the squad for sure, but for me Walcott is by far the better player. Better on and off the ball and with a much better end product.

If Walcott can't play for any other reason, then I'd have Lennon, purely because I don't think we have the pace in midfield (Gerrard is quick but doesn't take players on like wingers do) that we'd need to really make defenders worry. Beckham and Milner are better all around footballers, but in an England squad of very talented players, I think the right wing position is the one to unleash a bit of pure speed and unpredictability.

We will see who has the most to offer when we play each other in a few weeks, Gabby, Young, Warnock, Milner and Heskey and for Spurs Defoe, Crouch, Huddlestone, Jenas and Lennon.

These players have a lot to prove, no more so than Young, who needs to get to the level he was at last season in order to push his case.

Lennon ... Against a decent defender, even a not-so-quick one, though, he'll find it pretty hard ... .

Not true. For example, he has eaten Patrice Evra for breakfast on several occasions .... ask any Man. Utd fan if you haven't seen the matches concerned or don't believe me.

I would take Lennon to the World Cup, purely because he offers something different to our other wingers. He has pure pace and due to his low centre of balance can change directions pretty quickly. He is always likely to cause panic in a defence and possibly win penalties. The defence always run the risk of picking up cards against him as well. I would take him in place of SWP for certain.

Lennon ... Against a decent defender, even a not-so-quick one, though, he'll find it pretty hard ... .

Not true. For example, he has eaten Patrice Evra for breakfast on several occasions .... ask any Man. Utd fan if you haven't seen the matches concerned or don't believe me.

If Lennon is as good as you're making him out to be, then why does he play for Spurs?

If Lennon was that good he would have gone to a big club by now.

He is already at a big club.

In any case, what's with the "by now"? He's 3 years younger than Downing, 2 years younger than Ashley Young and 1 year younger than Milner.

By now as in any spurs player of obvious class who performs consistently for more than 18 months and aren't made of glass would be gone 'by now'

Â