Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

... As i said, at the level our clubs are at defence is the key.

Defence is not THE key for any club at any level in any league. This conclusion is dictated by the logic of 3 points for a win, but only 1 point for a draw. That logic emphasises the importance of attack over defence.

The notion of 'building from the back' is just a tired old cliche, dating back to the era when a win gained only 2 points. In the modern era the midfield is the key area to build from, especially the ability of the midfield to support strikers and unlock defences for strikers.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one here can say who will finish above the other. Villa and Spurs are preety evenly matched this season whilst having their own strenghts and weaknesses.

It will be a close run thing and both sides will be in the top 7 teams come May, where in that 7 is anyones guess.

Anyway, who says were a defensive minded team.

We've only had a decent defence for the last 2 and a half months.

Remember how awful our defence were for the second half of last season, and all due to just one injury.

Plus we've always scored a good amount of goals ourselves. Season before last we scored 3rd most in the league, with more or less the same attacking players we have now, and we were hardly goal shy last season either.

Secondly, this 'average' squad is currently in 4th place.

and for large periods of last season, villa were sat in 3rd and 4th...

means jack shit at this stage of the season...

The amount of criticism that Spurs get on VT in relation to finances is amazing: If I didn't know better I'd almost start to wonder which club has a new stadium in the pipe-line and which club doesn't.

we are quite happy with the stadium we have thanks, especially with the plans to upgrade the capacity...

I'd almost start to wonder which club has a new stadium in the pipe-line and which club doesn't.

You'll find that answer when you start to wonder which set of fans currently go to a good stadium each week.

Glaston; that's quite bold to say that we're our a 'defensive' team. I know you like reading stats, so I'll show you both Tottenham's and Villa's stats and we'll see if we really our 'defensive'.

Villa's stats Played 12: Home: W 4 - D 1 - L 1 - F 12 - A 5 Away: W 2 - D 2 - L 2 - F 8 - A 7 - GD +8

Spurs' stats Played 12: Home: W 4 - D 0 - L 2 - F 12 - A 6 Away: W 3 - D 1 - L 2 - F 11 - A 11 - GD +6

As you can see we've got a better home record because we've only lost 1 game whereas Spurs have lost 2 and they've conceded 1 more goal but we've scored the same amount of goals.

OK, it shows Spurs have won 1 more game than us away from home, but I do put the argument foward that you have played easier opposition away from home. However, you've conceded 11 goals away from home - that's just 1 goal less than we've conceded both home and away so the point you make about us being a 'defensive' team is irrelevant because although you've only scored 3 more goals than us - we still have the better GD because we have a much better defence than Spurs' as stats have shown. So, actually, it is very important to have such a good defensive record like our's and clearly proves how it can alter your GD.

I hear Pavlyuchenko demands that he wants to leave in January, more money well spent, eh?

I'd almost start to wonder which club has a new stadium in the pipe-line and which club doesn't.

You'll find that answer when you start to wonder which set of fans currently go to a good stadium each week.

been honest,they can all keep there shit bowl stadiums..give me Villa park over them any day.and i'll even include the new Lansdowne road stadium in Dublin.but thats just my opinion of them..

Glastin must be one sad little man,if he has to come on this forum every time something happens regarding Spurs..i dont ever remember him coming around last year when they where pure dog shite though.kinda funny that.

(a) Spur's squad depth is deeper than Villa's and that this will be a crucial factor over the course of the long season; and ...

(B) Spurs, because they play more attacking football, will win more games than Villa, even if we also lose more often than Villa. In other words I'd question as to whether Villa will be able to convert enough draws into wins, since you don't generally score that many goals. Of course you scored 5 in your last match, but perhaps that will be the exception that proves the general rule.

I'd say that Villa are seen as having a very solid defence, a well-organised and hard-working team, with some degree of flair but with a problem in scoring enough goals, especially from open play (to some extent you are seen as a set-piece team). In summary: hard to break down and beat, but not very entertaining or adventurous/risk-taking.

(a) IMO we have the better squad, the only thing better in your squad is the depth of strikers.

(B) i can't believe this comment went unmissed. As you post on a Villa forum i'm going to assume you watch us frequently. Having watched us week in week out under MON i cant ever recall us playing for a draw no matter who we played. Our style is counter attacking so we are not going to roll many teams over by scoring 3+ goals because once we take a 2 goal lead we then defend harder. Some may call it a problem but when we are 1 goal up we play exactly the same way as we would if we were 1 goal down, on the break.

Last season we scored 20% more goals than spurs in the league.

The season before that we scored 10% more goals than spurs and the 3rd most goals in the league and scoring over 70 goals (which only ONE team managed last season)

But hey ho! Spurs are a more attacking team right.

Pavlyuchenko wants out in January. I say we sign him up. Anyone else like that idea? I think he is a great striker and would do good for us. Probably not MON's sort of player but I could see him doing well for us.

Disagree, dosen't look up to prem football at all from what I've seen of him.

Glaston's made some good points in the last few days tbf to him, I made a point a while ago that Spurs are set up this season to win well and also lose "well" if there is such a thing (Manure and CHelsea and Arsenal away) which won't see them draw many games and will get them wins on the board even if their performances aren't great like against Sunderland.

Am chuckling at him thinking Dos Santos who I've completely forgotten about tbh and Bale have any sort of future under him.

Glaston, do you think Lennon and Modric will be ready for the Villa game in two weeks seeing as both are injured?

Pavlyuchenko wants out in January. I say we sign him up. Anyone else like that idea? I think he is a great striker and would do good for us. Probably not MON's sort of player but I could see him doing well for us.
pile of poo he is,not good enough at all.

from jan onwards youre looking at more regular injuries and suspensions though, so he'd definitely get more gametime than at spurs

i wouldnt even consider holding onto him past the summer if we got him on loan, unless he was absolutely shit hot for us. but for the few months it could work a charm to have an experienced alternative

Â