Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

we didnt bend over and take it up the swiss when the top four came knocking did we??..

A selling price had already been set by MON, so don't be a hypocrite and pretend you wouldn't have sold Barry if Liverpool had been willing and able to pay the asking price.

The main difference is that Man. Utd could afford (and did pay) what Spurs asked for. Likewise Liverpool for Keane at the time. And in both cases we obtained very good prices - it's not as if they went for a song.

The amount of criticism that Spurs get on VT in relation to finances is amazing: If I didn't know better I'd almost start to wonder which club has a new stadium in the pipe-line and which club doesn't.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Spurs will "not finish top 4"? Who knows ... for the time being we're most definitely in the race.

When was the last time you won the race? You still haven't answered?!

How exactly does this help any argument?

If he does say "1990" is you saying "hah!, we did it in 1996" really going to prove a huge amount?

That trophy for being the tallest dwarf is going to look very impressive in the cabinet.

Ooh not a "new stadium in the pipe-line", excuse me while I shit out my eyes with envy. I would be livid if we were to move to a new concrete and steel corporate theatre and besides, there have been lots of things in the pipelines of clubs before Captain Spiv-face got his hands on them and they went so far into the red they thought they were in Russia.

The amount of criticism that Spurs get on VT in relation to finances is amazing: If I didn't know better I'd almost start to wonder which club has a new stadium in the pipe-line and which club doesn't.

That probably has something to do with which club has one of the most beautiful stadia in the world already and which one has a rickety old shed.

How exactly does this line of questioning help?

If he does say "1990" is you saying "well, we did it in 1996" really going to prove a huge amount?

That trophy for being the tallest dwarf is going to look very impressive in the cabinet.

I reckon it's earlier than 1990. GS comes round here spouting about how Spurs will finish top 4, when the last time they did it was in excess of 20 years ago. I'm just pointing out to him how unrealistic an assumption he is making

we didnt bend over and take it up the swiss when the top four came knocking did we??..

A selling price had already been set by MON, so don't be a hypocrite and pretend you wouldn't have sold Barry if Liverpool had been willing and able to pay the asking price.

The main difference is that Man. Utd could afford (and did pay) what Spurs asked for. Likewise Liverpool for Keane at the time. And in both cases we obtained very good prices - it's not as if they went for a song.

no they didnt go for a song,but you's are a feeder club for the top four face it,by selling your best players to them yous made them stonger,and yourselfs weaker..to me that makes yous a selling club,MON put a price on Barry that Liverpool were never going to agree to,do you think there was a reason for that..

How exactly does this line of questioning help?

If he does say "1990" is you saying "well, we did it in 1996" really going to prove a huge amount?

I reckon it's earlier than 1990. GS comes round here spouting about how Spurs will finish top 4, when the last time they did it was in excess of 20 years ago. I'm just pointing out to him how unrealistic an assumption he is making

they wont finish top 4,because they have a shite defence..

If you can't work out where the £106m comes from I give up to be honest ..

I'm not surprised you give up. I would too if I'd claimed that Redknapp had sold "nearly 106m worth of talent", when in fact only 36m worth of players have been sold since he arrived.

... When was the last time you won the race? You still haven't answered?!

Clearly you imagine this has relevance to the current season.

I'm tempted to just leave you with this comforting illusion, but if we're talking about something that does have some relevance to the current season, then I'd point out the several players in the Spurs squad that were with us when we finished 5th twice a row - Villa have not managed to finish 5th even once with any of the players in your current squad.

Yep, to ensure he didn't go out of contract and leave for no fee, you'll notice the year before when Liverpool came knocking they were told where to go...

Oh how we like to rewrite history. In fact Liverpool were quoted a price (not told 'where to go') and Barry would have been sold if they'd been willing to meet it.

What the hell has the purchase of a stadium got to do with the playing staff?

Do you imagine that the money spent so far (approaching 100m) on the stadium project has been grown on trees?

The fact that Spurs have been able to do this - and fund a new training complex on top - is in small part at least due to the fact that Spurs make a profit more often than not on player dealings.

.... GS comes round here spouting about how Spurs will finish top 4 ...

A typically inaccurate post from you.

In fact I haven't said that Spurs will finish top 4. My prediction at the start of the season was 5th and since then I've merely said that Spurs are currently in the race for top 4, which clearly they are.

4) Spurs have announced today profits of 33.4m for the 12 months til June 30th 2009.

They have also announced a decrease in revenue of 1.1% but you glossed over that and given the sales of assets figure is so high it is actually the turnover figure which is will be viewed as more relevant by economists. Trust me I'm a qualified accountant!

At some point you run out of Berbatovs and Bents to sell...

(Counting player sales and purchases as revenue and expenses is batshit crazy... that's what depreciation and amortization are for)

Glaston; why do you think Spurs will finish 5th and why do you think you'll finish ahead of us? Also, what is the general opinion among Spurs fans regarding Villa this season?

I think Spurs will finish 5th (with a chance for 4th if Liverpool continue to have a nightmare season) because I don't think Man. City will gel together sufficiently quickly (next season is another story, given their spending power) and also because I reckon that:

(a) Spur's squad depth is deeper than Villa's and that this will be a crucial factor over the course of the long season; and ...

(B) Spurs, because they play more attacking football, will win more games than Villa, even if we also lose more often than Villa. In other words I'd question as to whether Villa will be able to convert enough draws into wins, since you don't generally score that many goals. Of course you scored 5 in your last match, but perhaps that will be the exception that proves the general rule.

I'd say that Villa are seen as having a very solid defence, a well-organised and hard-working team, with some degree of flair but with a problem in scoring enough goals, especially from open play (to some extent you are seen as a set-piece team). In summary: hard to break down and beat, but not very entertaining or adventurous/risk-taking.

Spurs won't finish above us because they have a shite defence.

Its all well and good attacking nicely but if you're defenders are constantly knackered then results will inevitably go one way.

No you may go ahead and name Arsenal of a brilliant attacking team with a dodgy defence, but the fact is they have brilliant attacking players whereas no one beneath the 'Top 4' aside from Man City have that quality in the final third.

The only team that has broken the Top 4 in recent years was Everton, and they didn't do it by playing lovely football did they?

Defence is the key, ours is better than last year so we have a better chance.

Spurs defence is, frankly, balls. Shown when you come up against a decent team and you get pulled apart.

They'll do well enough, but they won't finish in the Top 4, or infact above us.

... Defence is the key ...

It isn't THE key. The key is winning a big proportion of games, even if you lose a fair few, because winning one game is worth 3 draws.

Winning lots of games usually means scoring a good amount of of goals. Thus attacking strength and intent is more important than defensive solidity, and the former is partly gained at the expense of the latter. A team may do well by just setting out to keep things tight and play only on the counter-attack, but it probably won't do well enough in terms of getting all 3 points often enough.

It isn't THE key. The key is winning a big proportion of games, even if you lose a fair few, because winning one game is worth 3 draws.

Winning lots of games usually means scoring a good amount of of goals. Thus attacking strength and intent is more important than defensive solidity, and the former is partly gained at the expense of the latter. A team may do well by just setting out to keep things tight and play only on the counter-attack, but it probably won't do well enough in terms of getting all 3 points often enough.

As i said, at the level our clubs are at defence is the key.

Untill we are able to spend 20+ million on a striker like Torres then i'm afraid both our clubs have to rely on teamwork and a solid defence.

Build from the back as they say, and i think you know yourself that Spurs defence just isn't good enough at this point in time. It could all change if 'Arry buys a few decent defenders in Janaury (providing the stadium money isn't affecting the transfer budget) but until that happens then your dreams of Top 4 just aren't realistic.

Defence was the key for Man Utd winning the title last season when they clocked up somewhere in the region of 15-20 1-0 wins.

Â