Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPURS SPENDING ECLIPSES BIG FOUR

Tottenham's latest financial results have revealed transfer spending of almost £150million in the last 16 months, surpassing the traditional Barclays Premier League top four and coming second only to Manchester City.

Spurs announced record pre-tax profits in the year ending June 2009, helped by the sale of Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United and Robbie Keane to Liverpool, although both those heavyweights appear conservative in their transfer spending compared to the club currently fourth in the Barclays Premier League.

Chelsea and Arsenal have also been prudent during the same period, while Spurs have needed to reshape their squad following the departure of Juande Ramos and appointment of Harry Redknapp as manager.

Spurs spent £119.3million in the financial year, with another £29.4million invested since on Peter Crouch, Sebastien Bassong, Niko Kranjcar, Kyle Naughton and Kyle Walker, their results confirmed.

Chairman Daniel Levy, who has also overseen projects on a new training ground and stadium, said: "We have made significant progress in delivering on our long-term vision for the club.

"We have always had three key priorities and you will have heard them oft repeated - investment in the first team, a new training centre and an increased capacity, state-of-the-art new stadium.

"We have assembled what we believe to be one of the most talented squads we have had during our time in the Premier League, the ground is being turned and pitches laid for the new training centre at Bulls Cross in Enfield and we have submitted a planning application for a stunning new stadium on a site next to our existing stadium."

Spurs' pre-tax profits was £33.4million, with the departure of Berbatov valued at £23.4million, although it is understood there are clauses that could see that figure rise if activated.

The figures also estimate the club having total assets of "almost £300million". Should Spurs maintain their current league position and qualify for the Champions League, the overall value of the club would be expected to rise.

Midfielder Kranjcar believes finishing in the top four is a genuine possibility, with the Croatia international telling Sky Sports News: "This year our goal is getting into the Champions League. It's a massive goal but we think it can be achieved.

"We believe we have the depth and quality, and hopefully we will do it."

Meanwhile, Levy revealed the club are in talks regarding a new shirt sponsorship contract from next season, with the deal with Mansion due to expire at the end of the current campaign.

"Our search for a new shirt sponsor to replace Mansion is well under way," he said. "Our commercial team is talking to companies in different corners of the world regarding the shirt sponsorship along with the opportunity to sponsor our proposed new stadium."

Click

Harry "Chequebook manager" Redknapp

.... Harry "Chequebook manager" Redknapp

Just a few tiny inaccuracies concerning your "Chequebook" tag:

1) It's not 'spend', that counts, it's net spend. The net spend in the last 16 months (i.e. including the summer window of '08 onwards) is not 'almost 150m' - it's 44m.

2) Harry was not in charge until after the summer window of '08.

3) The net spend this last summer (09) was not a net spend at all - it was a net gain of 5.5m

4) Spurs have announced today profits of 33.4m for the 12 months til June 30th 2009.

Based on the above, it'd be more accurate to call him Harry "Record Profits" Redknapp.

1) It's not 'spend', that counts, it's net spend. The net spend in the last 16 months (i.e. including the summer window of '08 onwards) is not 'almost 150m' - it's 44m.

So despite selling nearly £106m worth of talent Redknapp has still had to spend additional money to assemble an average injury prone squad. Impressive

Till that point it was Ramos, who a certain poster reassured us was going to do great things for Spurs and make them a top 4 club.

spend this last summer (09) was not a net spend at all - it was a net gain of 5.5m

I sense this figure is reached by saying that Bent was sold for £17m whereas a large percentage of this £17m fee doesn't become Spurs' until he scores the world cup final winning goal (or some such other ridiculous clause) In real life accounting we use the fair value whereby the likelihood of a balance becoming realistic is used, hence the Bent sale figure is probably nearly £10m than £17m

4) Spurs have announced today profits of 33.4m for the 12 months til June 30th 2009.

They have also announced a decrease in revenue of 1.1% but you glossed over that and given the sales of assets figure is so high it is actually the turnover figure which is will be viewed as more relevant by economists. Trust me I'm a qualified accountant!

.... Harry "Chequebook manager" Redknapp

Just a few tiny inaccuracies concerning your "Chequebook" tag:

3) The net spend this last summer (09) was not a net spend at all - it was a net gain of 5.5m

Based on the above, it'd be more accurate to call him Harry "Record Profits" Redknapp.

Blah blah blah, we still hate the tnuc, so we'll analyse figures as we see fit!

Harry Redknapp may have a record of bankrupting football clubs, but Spurs are just too rich for him to manage that.

Then again, he keeps on saying when he moves clubs that he wants a bigger challenge, and that Spurs are his biggest challenge yet.. maybe he's on about the challenge of bankrupting them.

Glasto, If either of us had taken the opportunity, we could be in a very healthy position right now. Fourth seems to be the prize nobody wants, how are Spurs feeling about the season?

You're right that no one seems to want 4th. Spurs have been lucky in that our faltering in recent weeks has been matched by the clubs around us. Following our loss to Arsenal I would not have predicted - looking at the fixtures and games in hand for other clubs etc - that Spurs would since have regained 4th place.

I'd say that Spurs fans are:

Generally pleased with our position in the table right now (it'd be hard to be too critical wouldn't it?), especially as contrasted with our disastrous start to last season, but ....

* Cursing the 3 points dropped to Stoke at home (we battered their goal, but just couldn't get it in the net and were caught by a sucker punch) and thinking 'if only'.

* Really wanting Modric back (our performances have definitely tailed off since his injury). He's back in light training (not full training) and may (?) be ready again after the international break.

* Really wanting Harry to stop messing around with trying to shoe-horn Keane + two other strikers into the team in a 4-3-3 caricature. Modric's return will stop this for sure - we play best in 4-4-2.

* Knowing that we have to make hay whilst the sun shines from here onwards. Our opening third of the season was quite difficult in terms of fixtures (played 4 times against last season's top 4 teams), and our fixtures in the last games of the season are really tough - so we need to be well ahead of the chasing pack before then if we are to have any chance of 4th.

* Hoping that we are still well in the race for 4th come the start of the January window, so that Levy will be encouraged to open his chequebook (he should be able to, given record profits and a net gain of 5.5m in transfer spending in the last window) and back our chances to the hilt.

I'd also say they are:

* Pleased with how Gomes has settled down and showed his true class during this 2nd season.

* Still very concerned about the unsettled nature of our CB partnerships (King in, King out, Woodgate in, Woodgate out etc) ... could see Harry spending big on a quality CB this January.

* Hoping Palacios will return to his earlier form - he's been well below par for the last few games, perhaps due to the impact of the confirmation of his brother's murder (he had been kidnapped and held to ransom).

* Wanting some of our youth prospects - Naughton, Bale, Dos Santos - to be given more chances to play.

* Wanting Bentley to be sold, provided we can get a decent amount.

In the immediate future I'm expecting Spurs to beat Wigan in the next match, to nicely set up our key game away to Villa in the next fixture. It's a cliche, but the games between the clubs in the race for 4th - Villa, Man. City, Liverpool and Spurs - will be crucial.

So despite selling nearly £106m worth of talent Redknapp has still had to spend additional money to assemble an average injury prone squad. Impressive

Your facts are wrong. Redknapp has been in charge for 2 windows, during which time he's sold 36m worth of players - not 106m.

Secondly, this 'average' squad is currently in 4th place.

spend this last summer (09) was not a net spend at all - it was a net gain of 5.5m

I sense this figure is reached by saying that Bent was sold for £17m whereas a large percentage of this £17m fee doesn't become Spurs' until he scores the world cup final winning goal (or some such other ridiculous clause) In real life accounting we use the fair value whereby the likelihood of a balance becoming realistic is used, hence the Bent sale figure is probably nearly £10m than £17m

In calculating net spend you can either include future potential add-ons for all players transfers - both in and out - or you don't use them for any. If I ignore the add-ons for Bent, then I'd also have to ignore the add-ons for Dos Santos and others.

It doesn't really matter which way you do it, because it all eventually evens out in the wash. I use the former method.

They have also announced a decrease in revenue of 1.1% but you glossed over that and given the sales of assets figure is so high it is actually the turnover figure which is will be viewed as more relevant by economists. Trust me I'm a qualified accountant!

A reduction of just 1.1% in turnover during a recession is hardly startling news and doesn't exactly put the club on skid row. Most other clubs will fare worse than Spurs.

If we're talking about hidden detail, the accounts also reveal that Spurs have spent 61m in the last six years in acquiring land and properties around White Hart Lane, preparing for the new stadium build. We now have all the land needed, and that's 61m that won't need to be spent again.

The club has made a profit each year for the last 5 years, with club record profits this year, whilst in recent years investing probably close to £100m (including fees to architects, designers, planning consultants etc on top of the land purchases) to pave the way for securing the club's long-term future in a new state-of-the-art stadium, not to mention work started this September on what will be a wonderful new (replacement) training complex in Essex ... I'll settle for all that.

Secondly, this 'average' squad is currently in 4th place

I've highlighted the point that matters. Spurs are a cup side and will not finish in the top 4, get used to the idea, in fact when was the last time Spurs did actually finish in the top 4?

In calculating net spend you can either include future potential add-ons for all players transfers - both in and out - or you don't use them for any. If I ignore the add-ons for Bent, then I'd also have to ignore the add-ons for Dos Santos and others.

But none of these others happened in the last summer. In addition you stated in a previous post that Spurs broke even on Davenport, which according to your specifics above they did not. I suggest you make your mind up as when you talk money I'll remember the figures.

The club has made a profit each year for the last 5 years, with club record profits this year, whilst in recent years investing probably close to £100m (including fees to architects, designers, planning consultants etc on top of the land purchases) to pave the way for securing the club's long-term future in a new state-of-the-art stadium, not to mention work started this September on what will be a wonderful new (replacement) training complex in Essex ... I'll settle for all that.

All those financials prove to me is that Spurs are a selling club and thus will fail to break the top 4 as they will always sell their best players. Come back with that year of when Spurs last finished in the top 4, I suspect it might take you a while though!

Secondly, this 'average' squad is currently in 4th place

I've highlighted the point that matters. Spurs are a cup side and will not finish in the top 4, get used to the idea, in fact when was the last time Spurs did actually finish in the top 4?

But none of these others happened in the last summer. In addition you stated in a previous post that Spurs broke even on Davenport, which according to your specifics above they did not. I suggest you make your mind up as when you talk money I'll remember the figures.

All those financials prove to me is that Spurs are a selling club and thus will fail to break the top 4 as they will always sell their best players. Come back with that year of when Spurs last finished in the top 4, I suspect it might take you a while though!

dont ask him back ffs.

I notice you didn't acknowledge the huge mistake in the figure you gave for Redknapp's sale of players (36m, not 106m). Still, I don't suppose a mere 70m matters much to a qualified accountant.

So Spurs will "not finish top 4"? Who knows ... for the time being we're most definitely in the race.

These others? What others?

Davenport? I didn't mention Davenport. But for the record he was bought for 1.1m, rising to 3m depending on appearances, and sold in January '07 for 3m: net spend = 0.

... All those financials prove to me is that Spurs are a selling club and thus will fail to break the top 4 as they will always sell their best players. ...

A few questions for you to ponder ....

Did Villa not sell Barry? Is it wise for any club to try and force players to stay if they wish to leave? Are not all clubs outside the top 4 vulnerable to having their best players poached away?

You claim that Spurs are just a "selling club". In many previous posts you've banged on about how much Spurs have spent in buying players (usually giving inaccurate figures I might add). It seems to me that you want it all ways at once.

Finally, if the latest accounts for you (as a "qualified accountant") only show that Spurs are a selling club, then I might suggest that you consider changing your profession. For example, has the 61m spent during the last 6 years on buying land for the new stadium just disappeared into the ether?

Glasto, If either of us had taken the opportunity, we could be in a very healthy position right now. Fourth seems to be the prize nobody wants, how are Spurs feeling about the season?

You're right that no one seems to want 4th. Spurs have been lucky in that our faltering in recent weeks has been matched by the clubs around us. Following our loss to Arsenal I would not have predicted - looking at the fixtures and games in hand for other clubs etc - that Spurs would since have regained 4th place.

I'd say that Spurs fans are:

Generally pleased with our position in the table right now (it'd be hard to be too critical wouldn't it?), especially as contrasted with our disastrous start to last season, but ....

* Cursing the 3 points dropped to Stoke at home (we battered their goal, but just couldn't get it in the net and were caught by a sucker punch) and thinking 'if only'.

* Really wanting Modric back (our performances have definitely tailed off since his injury). He's back in light training (not full training) and may (?) be ready again after the international break.

* Really wanting Harry to stop messing around with trying to shoe-horn Keane + two other strikers into the team in a 4-3-3 caricature. Modric's return will stop this for sure - we play best in 4-4-2.

* Knowing that we have to make hay whilst the sun shines from here onwards. Our opening third of the season was quite difficult in terms of fixtures (played 4 times against last season's top 4 teams), and our fixtures in the last games of the season are really tough - so we need to be well ahead of the chasing pack before then if we are to have any chance of 4th.

* Hoping that we are still well in the race for 4th come the start of the January window, so that Levy will be encouraged to open his chequebook (he should be able to, given record profits and a net gain of 5.5m in transfer spending in the last window) and back our chances to the hilt.

I'd also say they are:

* Pleased with how Gomes has settled down and showed his true class during this 2nd season.

* Still very concerned about the unsettled nature of our CB partnerships (King in, King out, Woodgate in, Woodgate out etc) ... could see Harry spending big on a quality CB this January.

* Hoping Palacios will return to his earlier form - he's been well below par for the last few games, perhaps due to the impact of the confirmation of his brother's murder (he had been kidnapped and held to ransom).

* Wanting some of our youth prospects - Naughton, Bale, Dos Santos - to be given more chances to play.

* Wanting Bentley to be sold, provided we can get a decent amount.

In the immediate future I'm expecting Spurs to beat Wigan in the next match, to nicely set up our key game away to Villa in the next fixture. It's a cliche, but the games between the clubs in the race for 4th - Villa, Man. City, Liverpool and Spurs - will be crucial.

Ha! Same shit different names here in beautiful Birmingham; spooky.

If you can't work out where the £106m comes from I give up to be honest I don't care what Spurs have spent the same as I don't care what Man City have spent, I care where my side finishes after 38 games, if the Spurs fans did there'd be less of them I sense

So Spurs will "not finish top 4"? Who knows ... for the time being we're most definitely in the race.

When was the last time you won the race? You still haven't answered?!

Did Villa not sell Barry?

Yep, to ensure he didn't go out of contract and leave for no fee, you'll notice the year before when Liverpool came knocking they were told where to go, unlike Spurs who happily sold Keane, Berbatov and Carrick when the offers came in.

Is it wise for any club to try and force players to stay if they wish to leave?

Barry was effective last year so you point doesn't hold water in these parts.

Are not all clubs outside the top 4 vulnerable to having their best players poached away?

I think MON has far more control in not accepting bids than Redknapp, I've quoted examples above of where the Spurs board are happy to sell whereas Randy backs MON's decision even if it did reduce the sale price by £2-6m

Finally, if the latest accounts for you (as a "qualified accountant") only show that Spurs are a selling club, then I might suggest that you consider changing your profession. For example, has the 61m spent during the last 6 years on buying land for the new stadium just disappeared into the ether?

What the hell has the purchase of a stadium got to do with the playing staff?

Spurs are a selling club, the business might be buying, land but the club is selling it's best players. Get used to the idea, the same as your used to not finishing in the top 4!

Rest assured I won't be quitting my profession based on a deluded Spurs fan's opinion of my reading of accounts, nor did I take your advice to back a Ramos managed Spurs side to finish above villa at the start of last season

The stadium pics look like a blue Emirates. Not impressed at all.

I'd love to see a new stadium built in a completly retro, Edwardian style, minus the wooden seats and obstructed views, but with all the modern conveniences and comforts.

If they ever build a new stadium for Villa, I hope thats what they do.

Â