Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Spurs are a long ball team now? You guys have short memories. Go back and watch any of our games from 2009 and see how often the long ball gets played.

It's only been the last four or five weeks that we have resorted to using the long ball to Crouch more often. And that's because teams now play against Spurs with the intention not to lose, so sit back and defend for the majority of the match, Villa included.

And the reason for the excess of long balls is the loss of Lennon as an attacking outlet and Modric's lukewarm form since returning from injury, meaning Crouch is our only decent outlet for a quick counter attack at the moment.

Lennon will be back in a week or two, and Spurs' style of play will no doubt return to how it was pre-2010.

Its hard, really hard to imagine me caring any less.

You cared enough to read the post, mate. And you cared enough to reply. And you care enough to keep coming into this thread and making posts on a regular basis.

If you don't care, don't read the posts. Or even enter the thread if you care so little.

transformers,Glaston in disguise..welcome back we missed you.

If football did start in the premiership era:

Villa: 2 league cups and 2 Intertotos

Spurs: 2 league cups - one of them a severely weakened one.

League:

Villa more points!

Vila better average position!

Over 70% of premiership seasons spent above Spurs!

Villa 8 top six finishes, Spurs 2!

And for the record Spurs play long ball football NOW! When even Bolton and Stoke call Spurs a long ball team you have to take note! :D

As for the totality of top flight league football:

Aston Villa 7 league titles and 11 runners ups!

Spurs 2 league titles and 4 runners ups!

79 of 121 top flight years spent in a higher position / league status to the tots!

As for the European Cup:

Aston Villa - winners

Spurs - not applicable.

There is nothing you can say or do that is going to change that overall and in the premiership era we've overwhelmed you. At least you had the 50's and 60's. :)

Bloody hell, there's another one.

Is there something in being a Spurs fan that makes you blind to logic and like to make skewed arguments, as well as get butt hurt, hard, whenever an opposition fan questions them?

You're nothing on Villa. We muller you in just about every criteria going. We've won more than you, we've won things you never have, we've sewn ourselves into the history of the game from the word go. I don't get what's so hard to take about that. It's a bit small man syndrome really, can't handle the fact the perception of a side you consider yourselves better than doesn't stand up to close inspection.

I know it's been said on here many a time... but why the **** are Spurs so hyped and loved?

I know it's been said on here many a time... but why the **** are Spurs so hyped and loved?

I think I can shed some light on that.

There was a blog on the BBC sport site a while back, the journo was (I think) a West Ham fan, but he lamented the fact that 90% of his football journo colleagues were Tottenham fans. So for starters, I'd say there is a heavy bias towards Spurs in the media, especially in London.. which of course is where most the media is. And you know how many people lap up whatever the media tells them.

I think another part of it is this particular generation of journalists are probably mid 30's-mid 40's age group. They grew up (probably in London!) in an era when Spurs were THE glamour club. When Spurs were winning trophies in the early 80's, their side included Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa, two of the earliest foreign imports and thus very high profile. Not to mention a certain Glenn Hoddle. When I was at school in this era, everybody supported Liverpool or Spurs - and Spurs rightly had a reputation for playing some great football. Those days are long passed, but the reputation seems to have stuck.

How many trophies have Villa won in the last four or five years? How many times have Villa qualified for the Champion's League in the last four or five years?

Not many. Just like Spurs. That, to me, puts both teams at a fairly even level right now. It doesn't matter how many trophies were won decades ago. Times change, and currently both teams are at a similar level, with similar targets, whether you want to believe so or not.

And "the Spurs way" is the style of football adopted by Bill Nicholson in the sixties, during our golden era. And because of that, and players like Hoddle and Gascoigne, Spurs have had that notion of "playing football the Spurs way."

And it's not "only deluded fans" that know what that means. Commentators and pundits use that phrase far more than any Spurs fan does.

So history and things that happened decades ago don't count when talking about trophies but they do count when talking about some mythical style of play. Ok.

What?

I said trophies that were won decades ago have no bearing on how good a team is now.

And then on an unrelated note, I explained the origins of the term "the Spurs way" to a person that seemed to not know where the term came from.

What's wrong with that?

The Spurs way is to piss money up the wall on names and not build a side capable of really winning anything?

References of recent times:

Gio Dos Santos

Carlo Cudicini

Alan Hutton

Gareth Bale

Kyle McNaughton

Jonathan Woodgate

etc etc etc

How much have you pissed away on those **** losers only to realise you're actually worse off than the sides who've bought non household names but players who get results, aka the Richard Dunne's of this world.

Who are you going to sign in the summer? Probably some over hyped, over priced, south american or baltic wonderkid. Who the press will have us believe could only have been conceived by joining the sperm of Pele and Maradona, genetically creating the ultimate player. He will then start the first 5-6 games for you, you'll get over-run in these games. May even win a couple but you'll be worse off than the team who sign some kid from Ipswich to do the same role.

A few of you will come on here pointing out various stats that mean **** all (short passes, long passes...) fyi - 4 short passes around the back and then a hoof every single time means a 20% long ball rate by your stats - but every attack launched by a long ball means a 100% long ball team!

All in all, you'll be the same, flattering to decieve, going nowhere side who will never match what we've had, and in a few years, wont even match what we are.

One of our clubs is moving forward, the other employs Harry Redknapp, who's record of building clubs is the same as Bin Laden's is of loving the West. it just doesnt exist. now do us a favour, hang about and contribute, or **** off to COYS and carry on your self believing wankfest, you CAAAAAANNNNTTTTT.

Bloody hell, there's another one.

Is there something in being a Spurs fan that makes you blind to logic and like to make skewed arguments, as well as get butt hurt, hard, whenever an opposition fan questions them?

Good man Chindie, and there was me thinking I was the only one who noticed :winkold:

Kyle McNaughton

Not Kyle Naughton, the former Sheff Utd player?

Presumably this is the son of Ken McNaughton, who the Villa commercial department mistakenly thought was a member of our title winning team of 81?

Or maybe you are the Villa commercial department? :winkold:

How many trophies have Villa won in the last four or five years? How many times have Villa qualified for the Champion's League in the last four or five years?

Not many. Just like Spurs. That, to me, puts both teams at a fairly even level right now. It doesn't matter how many trophies were won decades ago. Times change, and currently both teams are at a similar level, with similar targets, whether you want to believe so or not.

Have you tried thinking about what you just wrote? That post is so silly and stupid that it is beyond belief.

So now all teams that have not won something or qualified for CL in the past few year are on the same level! That will include Birmingham, Fulham, Blackburn, Stoke, Preston, Oxford ..... Ohh I guess you can see my point now.

Get real man.

Kyle McNaughton

Not Kyle Naughton, the former Sheff Utd player?

Presumably this is the son of Ken McNaughton, who the Villa commercial department mistakenly thought was a member of our title winning team of 81?

Or maybe you are the Villa commercial department? :winkold:

Yes.

And Spurs are a long ball team now? You guys have short memories. Go back and watch any of our games from 2009 and see how often the long ball gets played.

It's only been the last four or five weeks that we have resorted to using the long ball to Crouch more often. And that's because teams now play against Spurs with the intention not to lose, so sit back and defend for the majority of the match, Villa included.

And the reason for the excess of long balls is the loss of Lennon as an attacking outlet and Modric's lukewarm form since returning from injury, meaning Crouch is our only decent outlet for a quick counter attack at the moment.

Lennon will be back in a week or two, and Spurs' style of play will no doubt return to how it was pre-2010.

Its hard, really hard to imagine me caring any less.

You cared enough to read the post, mate. And you cared enough to reply. And you care enough to keep coming into this thread and making posts on a regular basis.

If you don't care, don't read the posts. Or even enter the thread if you care so little.

A few little points for you.

1. I'm not your mate.

2. As a mod of the site I tend to read a lot of posts I'm really not at all interested in, goes with the territory. Many of them seem to be from Spurs fans.

3. I cared enough to reply? No I was bored sufficiently to reply, bored of the endless Spurs propaganda

4. I keep coming into this thread. See point 2 and point 5

5. I hate Spurs and the constant defence of all things Spurs on here has only made this dislike even greater

6. Don't try and tell me what threads to read or to post in

Macho Trent - I like it.

so your admitting your a one man team then?

The only thing that will change how Spurs play is Crouch being out of the team. Then they'll have to stop lumping it forward to him as he peels off to the full back.

This is a wind up surely? It's obviously Glaston or one of his deluded **** friends.

Can't we just ban both and have it done with?

If they get ban I will start a petition to get them back on VT. They are very funny at times.

a pair of tools if you ask me..

Â