Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

And Spurs are a long ball team now? You guys have short memories. Go back and watch any of our games from 2009 and see how often the long ball gets played.

It's only been the last four or five weeks that we have resorted to using the long ball to Crouch more often. And that's because teams now play against Spurs with the intention not to lose, so sit back and defend for the majority of the match, Villa included.

And the reason for the excess of long balls is the loss of Lennon as an attacking outlet and Modric's lukewarm form since returning from injury, meaning Crouch is our only decent outlet for a quick counter attack at the moment.

Lennon will be back in a week or two, and Spurs' style of play will no doubt return to how it was pre-2010.

Its hard, really hard to imagine me caring any less.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he would have given them the much needed balance they lacked last season, and still do when they play Modric out left.

I don't think so. He would've faced the same problems that Bentley did in that his style of play wouldn't have fit with the rest of the team. His crossing ability would've gone to waste and he'd have to adapt his game to fit in with the game style, as Bentley has recently started to do.

Although I am not too pleased with Downing at the moment, this I disagree with.

Downing is a far better player than Bentley, whose reputation has been built solely on hype.

You answered your question with your own question.

Spurs are a long ball team NOW. Well done on your play in 2009. It's 2010, and you play **** long ball.

It's all in the same season, though. And the long ball label is unfair anyway. Spurs are the fifth most successful passers in the league, behind the Sky 4.

Here's a little Sky Sports Opta stat for you:

Tottenham have had 8291 passes; 1769 are over 30 yards; long ball ratio is 21%.

Villa have had 5672 passes; 1310 are over 30 yards; long ball ratio is 23%.

Spurs have played 400 more long passes than Villa and 2,600 more short passes, so Villa play the long pass more often than Spurs. Does that make Villa a long ball team too now?

When you make 8291 passes, and you have a 6'7'' striker on the pitch, of course a fair few goal kicks/defender passes are going to look for that 6'7'' striker.

And Spurs are a long ball team now? You guys have short memories. Go back and watch any of our games from 2009 and see how often the long ball gets played.

It's only been the last four or five weeks that we have resorted to using the long ball to Crouch more often. And that's because teams now play against Spurs with the intention not to lose, so sit back and defend for the majority of the match, Villa included.

And the reason for the excess of long balls is the loss of Lennon as an attacking outlet and Modric's lukewarm form since returning from injury, meaning Crouch is our only decent outlet for a quick counter attack at the moment.

Lennon will be back in a week or two, and Spurs' style of play will no doubt return to how it was pre-2010.

You cared enough to read the post, mate. And you cared enough to reply. And you care enough to keep coming into this thread and making posts on a regular basis.

If you don't care, don't read the posts. Or even enter the thread if you care so little.

No he would have given them the much needed balance they lacked last season, and still do when they play Modric out left.

I don't think so. He would've faced the same problems that Bentley did in that his style of play wouldn't have fit with the rest of the team. His crossing ability would've gone to waste and he'd have to adapt his game to fit in with the game style, as Bentley has recently started to do.

Although I am not too pleased with Downing at the moment, this I disagree with.

Downing is a far better player than Bentley, whose reputation has been built solely on hype.

Really? I thought Bentley's reputation was built solely on a couple of very good years at Blackburn. Eh, not that it matters. To me, Bentley and Downing are practically the same player, just with a different foot preference.

You cared enough to read the post, mate. And you cared enough to reply. And you care enough to keep coming into this thread and making posts on a regular basis.

If you don't care, don't read the posts. Or even enter the thread if you care so little.

A few little points for you.

1. I'm not your mate.

2. As a mod of the site I tend to read a lot of posts I'm really not at all interested in, goes with the territory. Many of them seem to be from Spurs fans.

3. I cared enough to reply? No I was bored sufficiently to reply, bored of the endless Spurs propaganda

4. I keep coming into this thread. See point 2 and point 5

5. I hate Spurs and the constant defence of all things Spurs on here has only made this dislike even greater

6. Don't try and tell me what threads to read or to post in

Really? I thought Bentley's reputation was built solely on a couple of very good years at Blackburn. Eh, not that it matters. To me, Bentley and Downing are practically the same player, just with a different foot preference.

Ability wise perhaps. Thankfully Downing opts to work on his game while Bentley seems to opt for boozing with opening bars, boozing with pals and then trying to drive home.

I rated Bentley, I wanted him at Villa but I wouldn't take him now.

Yeah but to you Spurs are probably better than villa despite there being clear facts in terms of trophies to factual prove otherwise.

The only reason that Villa fans rip the piss about long ball is because the deluded Spurs fans have this idea of grandeur whereby they play the 'Spurs' way, no-one has ever known what the 'spurs' way is except the Spurs fans and for them to now being playing long ball highlights how deluded the notion of the 'Spurs' way was in the first place

Oh, you seem like such a pleasant, friendly person.

I am I just don't take kindly to being told by an opposition fan what I should and shouldn't do on this site. I wouldn't come into your home and tell you not to sit on the sofa and if I did I would expect to get told to piss off, so don't be surprised if I don't take kindly to you telling me what threads to post in.

Yeah but to you Spurs are probably better than villa despite there being clear facts in terms of trophies to factual prove otherwise.

The only reason that Villa fans rip the piss about long ball is because the deluded Spurs fans have this idea of grandeur whereby they play the 'Spurs' way, no-one has ever known what the 'spurs' way is except the Spurs fans and for them to now being playing long ball highlights how deluded the notion of the 'Spurs' way was in the first place

How many trophies have Villa won in the last four or five years? How many times have Villa qualified for the Champion's League in the last four or five years?

Not many. Just like Spurs. That, to me, puts both teams at a fairly even level right now. It doesn't matter how many trophies were won decades ago. Times change, and currently both teams are at a similar level, with similar targets, whether you want to believe so or not.

And "the Spurs way" is the style of football adopted by Bill Nicholson in the sixties, during our golden era. And because of that, and players like Hoddle and Gascoigne, Spurs have had that notion of "playing football the Spurs way."

And it's not "only deluded fans" that know what that means. Commentators and pundits use that phrase far more than any Spurs fan does.

How many trophies have Villa won in the last four or five years? How many times have Villa qualified for the Champion's League in the last four or five years?

Not many. Just like Spurs. That, to me, puts both teams at a fairly even level right now. It doesn't matter how many trophies were won decades ago. Times change, and currently both teams are at a similar level, with similar targets, whether you want to believe so or not.

And "the Spurs way" is the style of football adopted by Bill Nicholson in the sixties, during our golden era. And because of that, and players like Hoddle and Gascoigne, Spurs have had that notion of "playing football the Spurs way."

And it's not "only deluded fans" that know what that means. Commentators and pundits use that phrase far more than any Spurs fan does.

So history and things that happened decades ago don't count when talking about trophies but they do count when talking about some mythical style of play. Ok.

So history and things that happened decades ago don't count when talking about trophies but they do count when talking about some mythical style of play. Ok.

What?

I said trophies that were won decades ago have no bearing on how good a team is now.

And then on an unrelated note, I explained the origins of the term "the Spurs way" to a person that seemed to not know where the term came from.

What's wrong with that?

What relevance does any of that have? I told you Villa are factually a better side than spurs, whether you want to believe so or not.

And yes it does matter how many trophies were won years ago, football didn't begin in 1992 no matter how much the media would like to think it did. You keep dreaming of winning what we've already won and trust me you'll be dreaming for a very very long time

football fans logic, all fans are the same IMO

spurs downfall is that illogocial garbage like this that gets spouted by fans gets force fed to the rest of us thanks to the red tops

What relevance does any of that have? I told you Villa are factually a better side than spurs, whether you want to believe so or not.

And yes it does matter how many trophies were won years ago, football didn't begin in 1992 no matter how much the media would like to think it did. You keep dreaming of winning what we've already won and trust me you'll be dreaming for a very very long time

Shouldn't you keep dreaming too, then? As you weren't actually alive for the majority of Villa's successes so you have no idea what it's like to win those trophies, either.

Shouldn't you keep dreaming too, then? As you weren't actually alive for the majority of Villa's successes so you have no idea what it's like to win those trophies, either.

Learn your football history.

League winners in 1981

European Cup winners 1982

League Cup winners 94 & 96

All plenty recent enough for people to remember thanks.

1961 was your last league win wasn't it? What year was your last European Cup win again?

Â