PL: sha a 2009/09/13 Reactions and Ratings

limpid

I'm fairly sure that my reaction (happy to win but would have preferred something more emphatic) is shared with other posters in this thread.

More of a tidbit than a reaction but Chucho is rather close, orthographically speaking, to word removed. Is there a more fitting term for anyone who plays for sha?

Considering we had 3 new defenders just come back from an international break I thought we played ok and diserved the 3 points. It was always going to be tough because of this even more so with it being a derby game.

Top marks to back four especially; considering these boys have probably only had maybe two training sessions together you cannot fault their performance. At times they did look 6 and 7’s (positioning), but that expected but the majority of the time they were superb, Collins, brilliant, I for one was slightly critical of this signing but if he continues to play like he did Sunday then I hold my hands up.

What impressed me most about the back four was their willingness to bring the ball forward and look to play the ball at every opportunity and bring players in to the game instead of just hoofing it to no where, when they did go long it had a purpose and worked on occasions. Also their calmness under pressure, when the ball came in to the box they headed out to the flanks to relieve the pressure to often our defenders would head it straight to someone sitting on the edge of the box and puts under more pressure, it was good to see this sometimes a cross would come in get headed by Collins or Dunne ending up near the half way line.

Big plus to MON to, subs haven’t been his forte over the years but this one was spot on and at the right time, game was crying out for big John and worked.

NCR and Petrov played well and linked up good a couple of times, only criticism Sidwell, is he there, what does he do, thought he should of gone of for Carew and NRC stay on, but hey it worked. Young was a bit quiet and Milner, yes it wasn’t the best of games for him but he showed willingness, wanted the ball got in to good positions and carried on right to the end, that run for Carew sums it up, I’d rather him have a bad game and try to rectify it than to have a bad a game and cant be arsed, top man.

Just watching MOTD2, Carew could have easily slotted it into the net with that chance he had where he broke with Milner.

Almost an open goal. Oh well, nevermind.

True. Let's face it, we should have won 3-0 and I think this may have coloured MON's slightly lukewarm post-match comments.

Wouldn't surprise me if he makes clear to the midfield/attack they should have done better. We need to get our goal count/goal difference higher.

Great win, a game we should be winning and continues the good form.

However, they are extremely limited going forward so the fact that we did not concede should not mask that.

Milner had a dodgy game and I was disappointed that carew was not on the pitch longer

Delighted about the result. Absolutely delighted. Now we can start to concentrate on the real important thing, the league.

Thought took a big risk with giving 3 new players their debut at the same time, and all of them in the defence and didn't like to see Cuellar going out on the right again, but I can't complain with the result. Cuellar was defensively great, Collins and Dunne were excellent together and Warnock was solid. It's only one game but if the new guys can keep this form up we won't have too many problems at the back. Though it's said that Dunne can disappear for a few games and that Collins is rather injury prone, so I'll wait before I judge them more. Great start, nevertheless.

Milner had forgotten his passing- and shooting boots home, but he worked immensely and that's the important thing to do when you're failing with everything else. That's character. He had a very good working game yesterday. Don't think anyone ran more than him and for that only he gets at least a 6 from me.

Great result, now lets take on Pompey. Have we turned the corner now?

I was disappointed that carew was not on the pitch longer

Personally i felt that tactically MON got it spot on. They were playing pretty high tempo, closing us down and getting amongst us. The timing of the substitute was absolute key. They were beginning to tire and our class would eventually show, it was just down to whether we could get that chance, which we did.

Ha ha I like the way he just LEAPS on them at the end as well!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

This is what it's all about, moments like that.

I was wondering before the season started, would there be a moment this season that came close to the late winner at Everton. 4 games in and bang, there you have it.

Collins was man of the match for me, dominating performance. That lad Gabby can play a bit too. I don't remember too much from the game, but I don't suppose that matters, they all get 10's from me.

"We're the pride of Birmingham, we shall not be moved"

first post since back from sunny vegas

terrific. what make sthis win even sweeter is we was really average and we still beat them no problem! they failed miserably to do any damage to us.

only saw highlights but dunne and collins both looked impressive and mon playing cuellar at rb is quite risky.

you really have to laugh at sty dwellers they have nothing going forward whatsoever. very bitter sad fans but thrilled we did it again

what is it now 5 straight wins against them now??

My MOTM, Collins won header after header. MON took a risk in starting with 3 new players at the back, but it worked out and all of the back 4 played well. Dunne will become a great player for us a leader. Ash was quiet and Milner had a bad game for him, lots of missed passes.

TBH I Don't think we are firing on all cylinders yet, but to win matches like this one when we are not in form bodes well for this season.

The defence were just brilliant. They actually had loads of pressure to deal with - how many corners? But dealt with them all admirably, even after the commentator stated they had dealt with all the previous ones in a bid to get theior commentators curse working. With the previous defence my heart would have been in my mouth every time, towards then end of the game I was just expecting everything to be dealt with. Ashleys skill to set up Gabby was superb, if it had been Roopney the commentators would have been creaming themselves. His touch was pretty much immaculate ffrom a high ball going away from him.

brilliant stuff... not the best game, but when their sole intention was to stick men behind the ball and try desperately not to lose, it was never going to be the prettiest...

but the quality shone through in the end against the shit, and the better side deservedly won...

collins and dunne were superb...