PL: sha a 2009/09/13 Reactions and Ratings

limpid

The thing with derbies, there very much like this, we'll get the odd game like at VP where we crushed them but as soon as you seen the formations you knew what the game was going to be like. We stuck at it and won the bloody game. I'm so chuffed for Gabby!!!!

Good :-)

Friedel: 6 Nothing to do really

Cuellar: 6 Dont really like him playing right back, he's too clunky or something

Dunne: 7 very good debut

Collins: 8 MOTM Even better debut!

Warnock: 7 An improvement on Shorey defensively and got forward pretty well

Young: 5 Apart form the free kick leading to teh goal another sub par performance

Reo-Coker: 5 His worst performance this season so far

Petrov: 6 Steady, better

Sidwell: 7 Very good, involved throughout

Milner: 4 WTF was that?

Agbonlahor: 6 Extra mark for a well taken goal, had no support really

Carew: 6 Made quite a difference when he came on

It wasnt a very good performance at all really, bit of a scrappy win in a game that had 0-0 written all over it, but I'm not complaining. In the end the manager's decision to switch things around won the game against a tiring Birmingham team, so well done MON.

Superb defensively, a little lacking in midfield until MON made a great substitution and tactical switch to move the focus elsewhere. Special mention for Gabby, Ash and Milner who never stopped trying and working despite being heavily marked in Ash's case, buffeted a bit in Gab's and having a spell when nowt went right for Jimmy.

Wish I lived down home now for rubbing in purposes

Good :-)

Friedel: 6 Nothing to do really

Cuellar: 6 Dont really like him playing right back, he's too clunky or something

Dunne: 7 very good debut

Collins: 8 MOTM Even better debut!

Warnock: 7 An improvement on Shorey defensively and got forward pretty well

Young: 5 Apart form the free kick leading to teh goal another sub par performance

Reo-Coker: 5 His worst performance this season so far

Petrov: 6 Steady, better

Sidwell: 7 Very good, involved throughout

Milner: 4 WTF was that?

Agbonlahor: 6 Extra mark for a well taken goal, had no support really

Carew: 6 Made quite a difference when he came on

It wasnt a very good performance at all really, bit of a scrappy win in a game that had 0-0 written all over it, but I'm not complaining. In the end the manager's decision to switch things around won the game against a tiring Birmingham team, so well done MON.

I think thats pretty much spot on, though in Milners defence, I think he was simply trying too hard!

I agree about Cuellar, but hopefully he wot be back out there for too long, Young should be back soon, which means we have a real nice problem in defence and thats nearly every position, though today for a defence that had three new signings in it, they did bloody well, all good! I have far more confidence in our defending now

villa4europe: Close game, like any home team Blues played with commitment, did Blues deserve 3 pts, IMO no way, why, well because they didn't look dangerous enough in front of goal, didn't create anything, Blues played with pride and played physically with fighting spirit, and Villa were on the back foot, but we were composed at the back and structured, Blues could not break Villa down, i bit like a top boxing match were you see the local lad fighting with passion, crowd behind him and then, bang....sucker punch and he's down, no IMO Blues didn't deserve all three, but i would go along with you in the fact that they maybe deserved a point, thing is, to win games you have to score goals, and that mate is it.

not pretty but its a local derby so thats to be expected. defensively we were sound, i cant think of a clear cut chance SHA had. midfield werent brilliant, a lot of mis control and misplaced passing, milner had a shocker which is very unlike him.

going forward the midfield was poor. i assume sidwell is meant to be the one who gets up to support the striker, thats his game but for the most part he was annonymous again. he didnt provide any threat going forward. when downing is fit sidwell would be the one to make way for me.

upfront gabby did a great job on his own, set up milner twice who should have buried the cut back to the penalty spot and done better with the other one too. and yet again he gets a derby day winner. he really is a big game player. carew did well to find him with the headed pass and we looked better with 2 upfront, so well done to MON for changing it!

We saw the worst of the 4-5-1 today, against another team playing 4-5-1 it leads to a very dull defence dominated game. Credit to the manager, he made a tactical change and won the game for us every much as Gabby's header did.

Dunne and Collins were nothing short of brilliant at the back and Cuellar did a manful job at right back, often coming into the middle to pick up a loose ball or a header. Warnock will need to settle a bit more to get the most out of him but certainly didn't let anyone down.

Can look forward to rubbing it in all week now with Nose clients and friends :D

Yeah time and time again, the got corners or crosses into the box, and many times Dunne and Collins got it out, thought they played brilliantly, bloody delighted :D...

Thought that until Carew came on, our back 8 were decent - solid but uninspiring. The inspiration should have come from our front three who were generally pretty poor. Good substitution by MON (if the obvious one) and as soon as it was made there was only one winner. Thought Reo Coker was good first half but faded (seems to be using the ball a lot better than before) and was surprised Sidwell wasn't subbed instead as he seemed fairly anonymous. But what do I know, Sidwell seemed to come to life when NRC came off.

While the media circle jerk about Spurs we're 3 points behind them with a game in hand.

Well to be honest thats only because they lost to MANCHESTER UNITED yesterday. Anyway pleased with the win, Defense was defo solid, still think if we had a full back on in place of Cuellar we would have threatened earlier but i can understand MON's thinking when it comes to the back line in a match like this i guess. Solid over adventerous.

Passing play was shite for me, and we missed a couple of sitters.

When I think about the players we still have to come into the side though it does make me more optimistic. Great three points!!!

:D:D

Dunne, Collins and Warnock were great. Young and Milner had average games but worker hard. Scrappy, cagey game, but our extra ambition to play the second striker was the crucial thing really. Especially as those 2 linked for the goal.

MON certainly showed us who's the expert though. We all questioned the defensive choices and they were solid. And he showed us that sometimes 4-4-2 is as good as 4-5-1.