The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Went to Day 1 of Bloodstock yesterday.

it's a hard life sitting outside the beer tent watching the main stage - well it was when the growly shite was on.

My step son's band played the jager stage at 3.45 and were the only ones all day to get an encore!

• Like 1

Pride Cymru in Cardiff next weekend. £8 for Snap!, Katrina (without the Waves), Hazell Dean and others not quite so mega.

Was quite good, if you accept that the first few 'acts' on the stage are at the bottom of the bill for a reason. A couple of sort of modern choirs doing pop stuff were surprisingly good. I have decided 'Firework' is a good fail safe pop song.

I left at one point to go to the football and they didn't want to let me back in without buying a new ticket. Had a bit of a debate on the gate and was told by a supervisor that I'd had to decided if I was in or out and couldn't change my mind and return. I said that was ironically narrow minded considering the event. She laughed, did a sort of furtive look to both sides, and let me back in.

Really looking forward to seeing British Sea Power in a couple of weeks. They are playing an (extremely) low key gig at one of my local venues, The Scary Canary in Stourbridge.

It's by far the biggest gig the Canary has ever put on and i'm absolutely chuffed to bits for the owners. Not only are they great people but the venue itself has been a godsend on the local musical front for a while now. They have bands on every week (absolutely NO cover bands allowed) and cinema/poetry evenings on other nights. It's a nice little cultural haven and with Bathams behind the bar i'm in heaven.

Can't wait to see it packed to the rafters  :)

• Like 3

Really looking forward to seeing British Sea Power in a couple of weeks. They are playing an (extremely) low key gig at one of my local venues, The Scary Canary in Stourbridge.

It's by far the biggest gig the Canary has ever put on and i'm absolutely chuffed to bits for the owners. Not only are they great people but the venue itself has been a godsend on the local musical front for a while now. They have bands on every week (absolutely NO cover bands allowed) and cinema/poetry evenings on other nights. It's a nice little cultural haven and with Bathams behind the bar i'm in heaven.

Can't wait to see it packed to the rafters :)

British Sea Power love their random venues. I once saw them in a cave.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see it packed to the rafters :)

Scary Canary? Is that a real place?

Just back from ArcTanGent festival, brilliant again this year.  Highlights were Maybeshewill performing with an orchestra, Mutiny On The Bounty doing an Adebisi Shank cover, Dillinger Escape Plan (Greg Puciato is a nutcase, climbed about 20 feet up the scaffolding and jumped onto the crowd  :blink:) and the sticker I saw in a portaloo that said "I bum elves", making me think hogso might have been there too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ArcTanGent log; supplemental - So the bass player of Scottish math-rock proponents Vasa got in touch and pointed me to a video that has emerged of me somewhat enjoying their set at ATG.  General amusement aside, this has doubly worked out as they didn't have any merch to sell at the festival but are apparently now sending me down a free t-shirt.

Dancing around like a prannet does, apparently, pay off.

As an added bonus, there's a few shots of my wife's arse in the video. :thumb:

• Like 1

My New Orleans/Nashville/Memphis trip is weeks away and much to my wife's consternation we have tickets for a load of country music from the 70's to now. Old crow medicine show, trace Adkins, cam, Chris Young, little big town, oak ridge boys, diamond Rio, gatlin brothers, Joe diffie and a bit more. If I don't find a punk or rockabilly and to see this holiday may be our last.

• Like 1

did reading festival at the weekend, utterly brilliant, had rained the week before so it was a bit muddy, rained a bit saturday night and pissed it down monday, its full of posh kids, more than their fair share of worldies, overpriced food, saw - 

Mumford & Sons - went boring in the middle, played the best songs too early

Alt-J - i get the criticism that they arent as good live and on the big stage but they were still good

Libertines - brilliant

Lethal Bizzle - for shits and giggles, it went off, full of yoof

Wombats - same

DMAs - really underrated band just getting going

Catfish and the bottlemen - brilliant

Foals - played a 30 minute "secret" set and stole the weekend

Districts - ok

Everything Everything - utter garbage

Royal blood - good

Palma violets - rubbish

Kendrick Lamar - everyone raved about him, nothing special IMO just another indication of how poor hip hop is right now

Jamie T & Maccabees - dont know cos i was too pissed  must have had my drink spiked... :ph34r:

and completely randomly because we were walking past and my mate said "what the **** he got on his head?" a band called ghost 

Ghost2015.jpg

who perfectly summed up the madness of the weekend

im absolutely shattered now though, did try a couple of touch the barriers (from the middle to the front) mumford and sons i think i did it in about 30 seconds, wombats was hard work, lethal bizzle i got about half way and thought **** that (like i said it was going off) and the libertines i crowd surfed out of there before my ankles got broken thanks to all the pushing (you cant go backwards in a crowd obviously)

• Like 2

My Cousin's husband went to Reading on Saturday, and ended up getting on stage with Metallica. Not my cup of tea, but he seemed to enjoy it.

I used to be a regular at the Leeds leg, but I've not been for about 10 years. Coincidently the line up hasn't been much cop for about 10 years.

You'd have to go back to the 90's to see me in attendance at one them festivals things (I'd have done GreenMan this year but a family ticket was more expensive than a house).

Last one I went to there were free giant spliffs everywhere. People had light them and then just left them for everyone to use. You could just go from one to the other breathing it all in. It was heaven. I got totally wasted.

Next morning when I came round, it turned out they were big 24 hour outdoor candles to light the way back to the tents. Apparently I'd had to be stopped from pulling them out the ground and sucking on the muddy end.

• Like 1

Today I have been mostly getting booked up for Ghost at the Institute in December and my annual trip to see the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit (at the Robin 2 again in December).

Tonight I shall mostly be watching British Sea Power at a tiny and utterly superb venue in Stourbridge.

10_christmas_songs_on_the_radio.gif.gif?

xogn6r.jpg

This has got to end in Brum! Villa Park would be amazing!

Edit: Oh and for the love of McGrath, please involve Bill Ward, even if it's just for the final gig. 

Edited by dAVe80

Today I have been mostly getting booked up for Ghost at the Institute in December and my annual trip to see the mighty Half Man Half Biscuit (at the Robin 2 again in December).

Tonight I shall mostly be watching British Sea Power at a tiny and utterly superb venue in Stourbridge.

10_christmas_songs_on_the_radio.gif.gif?1404204448

I hit the SC on Friday, what a strange venue! Have a beer in the Duke beforehand too you old Queen, they got some of that crafty shit you like, pint of Wizards Sleeve please barkeeper and a half of Unicorn Pecker for the lady. And they do pies.

• Like 1

Â