The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Went to see Dead Meadow in Stockton last night. Really good, although could have stood it, if they'd turned the volume up a little. Also got annoyed by some of the other gig goers. In a venue that was 2/3 full, with lots of space for everyone, why do people come and stand right in front of you? Especially when they've got a stupid, massive curly perms? Also far too many hipster beards and glasses combos.

Dead Meadow in a dank Stoke Newington basement in 2010 with maybe max 100 people will forever stand out as one of the best gigs I've been to.

Strangely enough (Chris will certainly enjoy this one) the best is probably Genod Droog doing some sort of punk Welsh hiphop thing and doing a conga into the crowd at Telford's Warehouse in Chester. They certainly beat say The Chemical Brothers or Oasis.

• Like 1

Saw The Who on Sunday , the reschedule gig after Daltry lost his voice back in Dec

Monday I had seen The Charlatans and my ears were ringing for 2 days afterwards  .. The Who were louder but the sound was clearer , less bass driven , crisper sound , no ringing sensations

both were good gigs , but when Townsend lets rip with that guitar , then Tim Burgess and co get shown up a little in comparrison  .. no shame in that though , Townsend aint bad with that guitar after all

I think I just did a little wee.

Rumours getting stronger of a Super Furry reunion at some point (Manics gig possibly) and now 3 of them will be on stage at the same time....

I'd love that if it happens!

I've cocked up and working this evening, Gruff is playing down the road.

I'm putting 2+2 = 7 here, but there'll be 4 of SFA on stage not 3, the original lead singer was Rhys Ifans.

To bring up an old post, I believe that rhys had kind of left as they changed their name to SFA from ffa coffi pawb.

When I was in with the SFA "family" as it were, I never managed to get a straight answer from Cian as to what happened with Wwuzz. I did ask him on two separate occasions, and he was too mashed to answer.

• Like 1

Saw The Who on Sunday , the reschedule gig after Daltry lost his voice back in Dec

Monday I had seen The Charlatans and my ears were ringing for 2 days afterwards  .. The Who were louder but the sound was clearer , less bass driven , crisper sound , no ringing sensations

both were good gigs , but when Townsend lets rip with that guitar , then Tim Burgess and co get shown up a little in comparrison  .. no shame in that though , Townsend aint bad with that guitar after all

I thought Daltry lost his voice years ago bwahaha

Always thought Townshend was massively overrated on the guitar

The Who are actually one of my fave bands of all time regardless of this

Abdominal and the obliques were brilliant, not that anyone is that bothered. It was his mum's birthday and she did a (flawless) rap with him. The band even did a little breakdown of the meters' "cissy strut" for pure funk value.

I got the main rapper to take a pic with me and his mom, obviously.

Next up, blues pills.

CB3YIOGXIAASCvj.jpg

yay! that was great!

very relaxed atmosphere - you could smell just how relaxed from the end of the street

a proper mixed crowd, to the point of there being families, mohican punks, mods, skins, students and a good proportion of balding dads carrying a bit more timber than they did back in the day

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Metz and Lightning Bolt in my first show since moving back to the States two months ago. It may just be concert shock, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the loudest shows I've ever seen [other notable loud bands: Mogwai, Mono (Japan), Boris].

Metz will be touring later on this summer with Viet Cong and I'd make the trip to see them again.

• Like 1

Went to see Metz and Lightning Bolt in my first show since moving back to the States two months ago. It may just be concert shock, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the loudest shows I've ever seen [other notable loud bands: Mogwai, Mono (Japan), Boris].

Metz will be touring later on this summer with Viet Cong and I'd make the trip to see them again.

I saw Metz, when they were third on the bill, supporting Mudhoney and the Meat Puppets. I've got to say I thought they were awful. It wasn't their gig though I suppose, and the sound wasn't the greatest.

Oh, I saw Lightning Bolt at an All Tomorrow's Parties though, and they were mind blowingly good! So gave a like for that!

Edited by dAVe80

Oh, I saw Lightning Bolt at an All Tomorrow's Parties though, and they were mind blowingly good! So gave a like for that!

Lightning Bolt were the headliners last night and I thought Metz actually outplayed them. Maybe they've improved significantly?

VT favourites, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats touring the UK in November. Hope to catch them in Newcastle.

Must go to that. I love those guys.

Coming up in the next two weeks: Beardyman (Monday), Blues Pills (already mentioned) and Dub Pistols. I can't wait to hear the Pistols.

I've got nick cave in a few weeks, really looking forward to it now

Yep me too. 

If he's as good as when i've seen him in the past it's going to be a great night.

• 2 weeks later...

where you going to see him?

I'm going to The Sage in Newcastle

Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham.

Tonight - Can't bloody wait!  :hooray:

Last night was bloody brilliant! He was on such great form. Great interaction with the crowd too, especially with a young Geordie lad, who almost stole the show. Gonna have to see something special, for it not to be my gig of the year!

• Like 1

Â