The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just back from seeing Johnny Marr @ the Town and Country club ( I refuse to refer to it by its corporate sell out name )

he's not bad and can certainly play a bit ...he'd make a great guitarist for a group  :)

even his own material most of which i'd never heard before was decent but the Smiths tracks easily stole the show ... Even got a guest appearance by Bobby thingy from Primal Scream during one of them

hes up and down the country on tour ... Well worth popping along to 

Is it weird him singing smiths tracks?

Vocally he isn't too bad and they have the trademark guitar sound so it's probably as close as your going to get to the real thing .... he played Electronics "Getting away with it " as well , if anything his vocals didn't quite feel right on that track rather than any of the Smiths stuff

Just back from seeing Johnny Marr @ the Town and Country club ( I refuse to refer to it by its corporate sell out name )

he's not bad and can certainly play a bit ...he'd make a great guitarist for a group  :)

even his own material most of which i'd never heard before was decent but the Smiths tracks easily stole the show ... Even got a guest appearance by Bobby thingy from Primal Scream during one of them

Vocally he isn't too bad and they have the trademark guitar sound so it's probably as close as your going to get to the real thing .... he played Electronics "Getting away with it " as well , if anything his vocals didn't quite feel right on that track rather than any of the Smiths stuff

I guess he has every right to do these songs, as does Peter Hook have every right to do Joy Division songs.

I guess he has every right to do these songs, as does Peter Hook have every right to do Joy Division songs.

I saw Peter Hook at Bestival the other year ..he was brilliant and did indeed do JD along with New order stuff  .. I know a few people around me were grumbling about it but he helped write the songs and added to the distinct sound ..for my money that gives him the right  to play it

• Like 1

Going to try to get up to Toronto to see Deafheaven and Envy in a couple of weeks. I've seen them each before, but not in years, and both bands together makes for a killer bill.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 1

C'mon, Mr 68

Give us the bloody gig breakdown - or is it taking quite a while to compile?

November is very busy, but after returning from the states, I saw a young woman called Cam who is getting good press in country music, she was excellent, she was on a bill with a dick called Jerrod Neimann, dont like this guy. Headlining was Chris Young, seen him before and enjoy what he does on the whole, it was in an outside venue in Nashville and it pissed down and beers were $10 a piece, Hmmm.

Also in Nashville I spent a fair bit of time in a traditional country bar called Roberts Western World and saw a singer called Rachel Hester a number of times, beautiful traditional country music and part of her band is a her father Hoot Hester, a member of The Time Jumpers and respected session player, they were exceptional.

also in roberts was another traditional country act Eileen Rose, beautiful music, really good, loved that bar.

I spent two nights at the Opry, the cast of Nashville, the TV show were a big pull for my wife but I was there for a few of the lower down classic acts, Old Crow Medicine Show who were not old, superb, desperate to see them live in the future. Diamond Rio, Gatlin Brothers and Oakridge Boys, all names from my childhood were very enjoyable to watch, they know their schtick and give people what they want.

I also saw Carrie Underwood, not my sort of thing really, she is a nice enough girl but I like a bit of grit in my female singers, surprisingly she was excellent, I had put away 2 bottles of wine at this point, but still surprisingly good.

As was Trace Adkins, a giant of a man that I have liked for a good 8 years and never had the opportunity to see, very good.

I also saw a comedy western band called Riders In The Sky, they were excellent as was a traditional country act called Rocky Top Xpress, really superb.

In New Orleans I saw this alt brass band called Hot 8 Brass Band, they were fantastic, doing weird covers, they did a version of Ghost Town which was excellent.

In Memphis we saw this jug band that covered songs from the 20's and 30's called The Side Street Steppers, it doesnt sound great, but they were, really good, kicking myself I didnt pick up a CD. They also threw in the odd Hank Williams cover, possibly as I was in a Hank Williams tshirt, or maybe it had been part of their set anyway, regardless, they were very good.

Outside of that, in Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans it was difficult to escape music, every bar we were in music was playing, from a Cash tribute, to old blues men, to a kid playing some indie covers on an acoustic. 

• Like 2

Seat68 - you'd have loved Tom Russell, who I saw at the Brudenell Social last week.

I would, I punched the air in delight when he announced dates, then cursed his name when I saw I was away for him. I love his style and although lengthy, really enjoyed his last album.

Sorry to break this to you, but it was a classic, and he really is a top bloke. Had a great chat with him afterwards about our shared love of Warren Zevon.

Seat68 - you'd have loved Tom Russell, who I saw at the Brudenell Social last week.

I would, I punched the air in delight when he announced dates, then cursed his name when I saw I was away for him. I love his style and although lengthy, really enjoyed his last album.

Sorry to break this to you, but it was a classic, and he really is a top bloke. Had a great chat with him afterwards about our shared love of Warren Zevon.

I was singing werewolves of london the other day, it must have been a subconscious thing.

I was singing werewolves of london the other day, it must have been a subconscious thing.

Tom R did an impromptu version of Zevon's 'Carmelita' (although I had to prompt him for some of the words) [emoji4]

• Like 1

I also saw Carrie Underwood, not my sort of thing really, she is a nice enough girl but I like a bit of grit in my female singers, surprisingly she was excellent, I had put away 2 bottles of wine at this point, but still surprisingly good.

I think I'd have just sat there with ear plugs in and pictured her naked

• Like 1

Booked up to see Father John Misty at the Sage, next May.

As the kids today say...well gel.

Wish the bastard would play somewhere around here :(

Nottingham is his only Midlands gig, I think.

Went to see Godspeed You Black Emperor on a last minute whim on Tuesday. Best £20 I've spent in ages

A quite mind-blowing 135 minute set which was a wall of noise from start to finish

They played up my way last weekend, and I was desperate to see them, but couldn't make it happen. Been a bit gutted about that all week, even more so now. 

Went to see Godspeed You Black Emperor on a last minute whim on Tuesday. Best £20 I've spent in ages

A quite mind-blowing 135 minute set which was a wall of noise from start to finish

They played up my way last weekend, and I was desperate to see them, but couldn't make it happen. Been a bit gutted about that all week, even more so now. 

Last minute decision, one of the best. Certainly one of the best gigs I've been to in the last decade or so I think.

EDIT: Sorry not trying to rub it in

Last minute decision, one of the best. Certainly one of the best gigs I've been to in the last decade or so I think.

EDIT: Sorry not trying to rub it in

I really regret not travelling to see them several years ago when they played about an hour away from me. I was trying to be judicious with my finances and I totally blew it.

I've since learned from my mistake. I drove to Toronto this past weekend to see Deafheaven and Envy and I'm glad I made the trip.

Highlight of my summer was seeing the Rush 40th anniversary tour (the tour ended before their 41st anniversary as a touring band...).  If that's their last show in New England, they went out on a high: some songs not played in my lifetime, and one of the more interesting concepts for lighting and staging I can recall (involving a rise and fall in "Marshall stacks").

The Toronto shows were recorded for a DVD release:

• Like 1

Â