The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I've had an absolutely rancid chest infection since about last Wednesday onwards, that only now after some pretty gnarly antibiotics (that have given me the worst diarrhea of my life) and a week off work is starting to abate.  This has been spectacularly ill-timed, as last Thursday we flew out to Berlin for what was my wife's Xmas present to me, tickets to see Komfortrauschen (whom for context, I only came across last year when they were announced for the upcoming ArcTanGent festival, which we're not going to make it to this time around and I had been lamenting that fact as they very much tick all of musical boxes and then some).  Try as my lungs did to put a dampener on the weekend (day after the show was spent feeling very sorry for myself in the hotel room), the show itself was phenomenal, and thankfully the adrenaline coursing through me seemed to carry me through most of it (no doubt partly helped by the feeling of "where the **** are we going, we're going to get stabbed" on the walk through what seemed to be a dystopian industrial wasteland to get to the Kantine am Berghain venue).  I am dearly hoping they play a string of shows over here in run-up to ATG, and I cannot recommend them enough as a live prospect (especially if the notion of throbbing 90's German techno performed by a drummer, guitarist and bass player via a mesmeric array of pedals and no backing track particularly appeals).  It's a testament to how good they were that the my condition didn't ruin the entire weekend, but it's certainly not what I had hoped for a first gig proper abroad.

To that end, roll on next weekend, which I have long had booked as a mini-break to Amsterdam for just myself.  I have had no plans for this trip other than to chill in a nice AirBNB, recharge the batteries (it's been a tough year thus far and we're not even through feckin' March), buy a lot of tasty snacks (and some "cakes" of the celestial variety) and generally veg the heck out.  Out of curiosity, I though I would see if the Melkweg had anything good on whilst I was over, and as luck would have it I'll now been spending next Sunday evening excitedly gurning my way through my first DJ Shadow show.  I don't believe in karma, but I've bastard-well earned this slice of good fortune.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Got a ticket to see Dale Watson in Chester, does basically the same music as Beyonce. 

Why on Gods  earth would you want to go and see her then ? 

BC Camplight tonight at the Arts Club. It was meant to be in the Theatre but it ended up in the downstairs venue which is bigger and better as it has a raked floor so everyone gets a great view. They’ve also improved the venue by knocking into the old Bar Fly bar so it’s much easier to get a drink and there’s a decent selection. Much better venue now it’s not run by the Academy Group shysters

He was really entertaining with decent banter, asks if anyone is here from Warrington, gets no response, then says this songs about Warrington and launches into “I'm in a Weird Place Now” :D 

I wasn’t too familiar with the latest material but it was all good and bought the album at the merch desk, which was manned by the band themselves with Brian signing anything in sight.

Taking the missus to a gig is a pain in the arse though, she’s just not gig savvy. Oh well more of that next week for Bill Ryder-Jones

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

BC Camplight tonight at the Arts Club. It was meant to be in the Theatre but it ended up in the downstairs venue which is bigger and better as it has a raked floor so everyone gets a great view. They’ve also improved the venue by knocking into the old Bar Fly bar so it’s much easier to get a drink and there’s a decent selection. Much better venue now it’s not run by the Academy Group shysters

He was really entertaining with decent banter, asks if anyone is here from Warrington, gets no response, then says this songs about Warrington and launches into “I'm in a Weird Place Now” :D 

I wasn’t too familiar with the latest material but it was all good and bought the album at the merch desk, which was manned by the band themselves with Brian signing anything in sight.

Taking the missus to a gig is a pain in the arse though, she’s just not gig savvy. Oh well more of that next week for Bill Ryder-Jones

Good review and am a big fan of Bill RJ but never seen him live - Hope it's a good one for you, please report back

• Thanks 1

Glastonbury headliners have been announced….

Dua Lipa (don’t mind her but a headliner?), Coldplay and SZA 🫣

looking down the confirmed acts, there’s probably around 10 I’d be desperate to watch but overall it’s very underwhelming (for me!) 

IMG_4738.jpeg

Edited by theboyangel

Think it's actually pretty decent. Line up for Woodsies is particularly strong.

Dua Lipa is definitely a headliner. Coldplay though 🥱

clearly I'm not their target audience but I'd be giving my tickets back for resale if I had one  

I think there are 2 artists  on that line up I'd watch  Idles and Paul Heaton   

Well I’ve got 16 on there I’d happily go and see, and who knows how many discoveries in little side tents whilst you’re waiting for Kneecap or the like to be on stage.

There’s stuff there from top to bottom, Dua Lipa, LCD Soundsystem, Squid, Steel Pulse, Yard Act, Kneecap, Dexys. There’s something for everyone there.

But I don’t do festivals, so that’s irrelevant.

• Like 1

Otoboke Beaver and Orbital.

Asha Puthli perhaps?

As I tell you every year, you could take all the bands away on that poster and you'd get value for your outlay.

My advice as a muso, is cut down on the headline bands and see other things.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Wonder how many neo-nazis Heilung will bring with 'em this time. 😬

Didn't realise they had much of a neo-nazi following to be honest! 

Not long back from Southport Weekender, my first ever one, what a belter of an event that is. I'm not gonna lie, I partied too hard and I'm gonna regret it the rest of the week, but **** it, when am I gonna see Louie Vega and Kerri Chandler again? 

Not really a gig but was at the Buxton podcast recording tonight along with all the beardy 50-somethings of London. Richard Ayoade was the main guests but in the second half of the recording Frank Black comes on stage and plays a bunch of songs with Ayoade playing lead guitar. Was amazing to see how effortlessly Frank can crank out some Pixies classics with nothing but a beat up old acoustic guitar. 

• Like 3

Â