The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

The missus has just bought us 2 tickets for Mick Head and the Red Elastic Band at the Philharmonic in Liverpool for December. Front row of the circle so great seats. But… December Ffs!

11 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Tonight was at a small album launch gig for Gruff Rhys in Totnes - absolutely great way to spend £14 (and got his latest CD chucked in too!) 

did a few off the new one but played a load of his solo catalogue as well.

He was on great form tonight too, only taking approx 2 minutes to stumble through four or five words between each song 😂

The Barrel House looks to be hosting @bickster favourite singalong show in the near future too 😬

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4691.jpeg

Quite happy to supply fuel / bottle / rag :D 

• Haha 2

Happy days, i've got tickets for the Bristol gig

One of my all time favourite ever albums released in 1996

Not that i'll expect him to play anything from it 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This weekend's activities (train strikes permitting 😬)...

5d071ebeb394df8496a4c08436703ce2482c6f3c76a2947eb524635c9dc8a662-rimg-w683-h960-gmir.jpg?v=1706667934

Gonna be an interesting one for me, for a couple reasons.

1) this has finally given me the impetus to sit down and actually spend time listening to Neu!, who having seemingly forever been on my list of "bands I am aware of their influence on what I like but need to get round to actually listening to" (this is admittedly a long list).  Somewhat unsurprisingly, it's a 👍 from me.

2) I am super excited for James Holden.  Back in my formative years - when all I was listening to was various flavours of '90s trance - Holden's Horizons was my pathway into techier, more progressive stuff and to this day I hold it up as one of my all-time favourite EDM records.  That said, by the time he'd moved away from club tracks and got to writing albums proper, I'd pretty much fallen out of electronica in it's entirety, so the last few weeks I've been hurriedly trying to fill the five album gap in my listening.  The rediscovery has been going pleasantly well, and in hindsight had I listened to his 2023 album at the time of release, it would have absolutely crept into my AOTY consideration.

Possibly belongs in the techno et al thread, but for shits/giggles/gurning here's Horizons in all it's majesty:

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 3

On 02/02/2024 at 09:56, bickster said:

The missus has just bought us 2 tickets for Mick Head and the Red Elastic Band at the Philharmonic in Liverpool for December. Front row of the circle so great seats. But… December Ffs!

least it gives you time to actually find out who the heck they are  :D 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

least it gives you time to actually find out who the heck they are  :D 

He’s actually a personal friend for starters, he’s also now married to another friend :D 

But if you haven’t heard of the Pale Fountains and Shack then…

I also predict the new album might hit the charts in quite a high position, it may finally be his year, he deserves it.

Edit: oh and the missus was in the same class as him in primary and secondary it turns out too

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

But if you haven’t heard of the Pale Fountains and Shack then…

I think we already know the answer to this one :D

To ‘celebrate’ my 50th a few weeks later, I’ve treated myself to a ticket to The End Of The Road festival.

headlined by Idles, Slowdive and Fever Ray and also featuring Baxter Dury, Ty Segall, Sprints, Yo La Tengo and Bill Ryder Jones (amongst many others) 

Should be a cracking festival! 

• Like 4

Just went to see As Everything Unfolds. They were brilliant but did less than an hour, genuinely didn't think they were done until the lights came up.

As good as they were, the highlight was the first support trying to initiate a wall of death, opening the room up, and essentially establishing a corridor as about 4 people started sympathy moshing.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I see Big Country are touring. Whoever they are. 

I’ve seen them a couple of times., but It’s only 2 of the original band these days, great nostalgia for fans but probably won’t gather them new fans 

Mike Peters (The alarm) took over singing duties for Stuart Adamson when they did the first tour 10 years ago … it was great to hear the music still being played live and Peters did a great  job paying tribute to the music … and the man 

I might go to one of the gigs last minute if I’m in the mood , think the Alarm are doing a few of the gigs with them , so that could make it worth while 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve seen them a couple of times., but It’s only 2 of the original band these days, great nostalgia for fans but probably won’t gather them new fans 

Mike Peters (The alarm) took over singing duties for Stuart Adamson when they did the first tour 10 years ago … it was great to hear the music still being played live and Peters did a great  job paying tribute to the music … and the man 

I might go to one of the gigs last minute if I’m in the mood , think the Alarm are doing a few of the gigs with them , so that could make it worth while 

The Alarm and Big Country. That’s got small tactical strike for humanity's sake written all over it :D 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I only mention it because The Icicle Works are support on some dates. 

Should be the other way round, imo. 

Well yes, especially as McNabb is still alive :D 

• Like 1

So Pachyman tonight but on my way to the pub I spot a poster advertising a load of gigs at Hangar 34 and what caught my eye was a little bit of it was for Big Country and then there was another section for another play the hits from back in the day band (I’ve already forgotten who) but next to Big Country in a tiny space was… African Head Charge. Never seen them despite having most of their albums so that’s April 13th on the calendar and all because of the shandy drinkers favourite band :D 

Supports, I’ve seen some bad ones in my time. I caught the last two songs of this one, who going by the merch stand appears to call himself Eyes of Others. Thankfully a rather nice reggae / dub interlude playlist has come on.

How would I describe him. Imagine if Suicide (the band, who I very much like) had happened some 15 years later and incorporated Acid House rhythms but used sixth form political poetry as their lyrics

This ones about the Corporate Machine…. Blah blah Exxon Mobile…Hovis… Kingsmill… you get the drift.

if I had two pairs of hands I could count everyone here. Everyone else clearly was clapping out of politeness… I hope. If they enjoyed that they need help

I’m just thankful I missed the rest :D 

£160 for Pearl Jam tickets seems to be the word on the street !! 

exclusively through Ticketmaster , guess the lawsuit has been forgiven / forgotten 

• Shocked 2

Â