The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Every year they put on a band that will appeal to that audience, The Mission this time.

Whilst I was doing a quick search to remember the name of the band Ray managed and failed I came across this article about Planet X

Red Bull Music Academy

Thursday nights at Hanover Street were strictly indie and Fridays offered a mixed alternative night DJed by Gareth “Taff” Taylor and Damon Scott

Nice to see I haven't been completely airbrushed out of history :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Iron Maiden are a bunch of clearings in the woods aren't they? Getting ready for Download next weekend, and they're the only headliner with an ego so big they've insisted there's no other bands playing at the same time as them. Absolutely pathetic.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Iron Maiden are a bunch of clearings in the woods aren't they? Getting ready for Download next weekend, and they're the only headliner with an ego so big they've insisted there's no other bands playing at the same time as them. Absolutely pathetic.

I have a vast array of metal and rock albums but none by Iron Maiden. I think they are extremely boring.

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I have a vast array of metal and rock albums but none by Iron Maiden. I think they are extremely boring.

I have a bit of nostalgia for them, they were probably my gateway into metal alongside Sabbath. These days, I mostly agree. Why settle for a tight 3-4 minute track when you can stuff it with another 4 or 5 minutes of repetitive self indulgence? I couldn't get through their newest album.

They do put on a good show though.

Just back from taking my kids to watch Supergrass and The Libertines (plus 3-4 pretty good unknown bands) on Plymouth Hoe! 

Absolutley brilliant mini festival and both main bands show they can still do it live!

12yr old daughter particularly enjoyed the day (she’s getting into her music - which is my music so conditioning is going well 😂

• Like 4

It's irrational because I wasnt even there but liam played the 3 monster shows this week and I'm pretty sure it's the same setlist each night 

Pisses me off that kind of thing 

He's also thrown in roll it over which does seem like the oasis hipster underrated song that no one else knows of choice at the moment, not a massive fan of it if I'm honest, should have thrown in my big mouth for old times sake and then on the mix up do gas panic 

Maybe his band haven't got it in them 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's irrational because I wasnt even there but liam played the 3 monster shows this week and I'm pretty sure it's the same setlist each night 

Pisses me off that kind of thing 

He's also thrown in roll it over which does seem like the oasis hipster underrated song that no one else knows of choice at the moment, not a massive fan of it if I'm honest, should have thrown in my big mouth for old times sake and then on the mix up do gas panic 

Maybe his band haven't got it in them 

He played Isle of Wight last year , saw about 3 numbers before heading to the big tent for Primal Scream ( pre planned ) still think we stayed for 3 songs more than we needed to

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

He played Isle of Wight last year , saw about 3 numbers before heading to the big tent for Primal Scream ( pre planned ) still think we stayed for 3 songs more than we needed to

I'm a massive fan and will no doubt go to the new tour, festivals I can see why he'd stick to the hits but those Knebworth shows I'm surprised he didn't pull something special out the bag 

Still think in the last 10 to 20 years no one else can pull the crowd that he can but that says more about music in the last 10 to 20 years, the shows are all over my Facebook, know loads of people who went

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm a massive fan and will no doubt go to the new tour, festivals I can see why he'd stick to the hits but those Knebworth shows I'm surprised he didn't pull something special out the bag 

Still think in the last 10 to 20 years no one else can pull the crowd that he can but that says more about music in the last 10 to 20 years, the shows are all over my Facebook, know loads of people who went

Yeah but I bet they are the same people who also go to Adele and Coldplay gigs :) 

I’ve seen Liam and Noel a couple of times as separate entities at various festivals etc and been underwhelmed each time  …but  that said I’d go and see an Oasis gig if they reformed 

On 25/05/2022 at 05:43, Seat68 said:

I have heard of Lawnmower Deth. So I guess I am still relevant. 

Nope. I've heard of them too, so you'll have to find a better relevanceometer. 

• Haha 1

New band for me in a couple of weeks , Red Hot Chilli Peppers 

not a huge fan , but will be worth it just to watch Flea banging around with his bass guitar 

• Like 1

Well, my first festival over the weekend, Download! It's an experience, that's for sure. If I were to go back (and we're talking about next year), it certainly wouldn't be on the standard camping, hauling your gear up-hill for 30-40 minutes and trying to find a site to pitch your tent that isn't pressed right up against someone else's tent. Then having another half an hour walk to the stages. All in all, the camping experience was pretty **** miserable, and Download seems designed to shake every loose penny they can out of your pockets. You can't take any cans or bottles in to the arena, for safety. but they'll sell you a £30 bottle of wine. rocket polishers.

3 days of cracking music though. Skipped most of the headliners, because Kiss isn't our thing, and neither is Biffy **** Clyro.

The Good:

Bury Tomorrow: Got there for their 2nd song because we didn't know how long the walk was. Got stuck right at the back, until he shouted he wanted to see a circle pit,. and I was able to sprint through the crowd and get into the action for, I think, Earthbound. Absolute carnage for the rest of the set, a brilliant start to the festival. And that is how I lost 2 of my toenails and spent the rest of the weekend hopping in the moshpits. Worth it.

Alestorm: Sea shanties, a massive rubber duck, and half the crowd getting down for a big rowing pit along to Sunken Norwegian. Never seen them live before and had no idea what was going on when thousands of us just got down to the ground mid-song...Then everyone started rowing. Mental. Was probably the most fun show of the weekend, and got my partner in there who doesn't like heavier music but got right into the middle for this one. We were actually looking at when they were next touring, today, so we could go and see them again, and found out the band are massive racist, sexist, pieces of shit, which has kind of ruined them as her gateway into heavier music. Gutted.

Spiritbox. **** me. They have come up out of nowhere in the last year or two, they were originally booked for the 4th stage, got promoted to the third, and the place was packed out with thousands of people crammed around outside trying to get a look in. They only got a 25 minute set, but the entire tent was bouncing for the duration, crazy energy in the set, and Courtney's pipes sound just as good live as they do in the studio. They'll be on the main stage next time they're back, and packing out arenas in the next few years, I'm certain of it, so getting to see their first UK gig in a still reasonable small stage was very memorable

The Darkness: My concession to the other half, didn't know half their songs, but it was actually pretty good fun. We left after their set, so the last song we heard at Download 22, in the middle of June was a Christmas song :D 

The bad:

Iron Maiden, I saw the Legacy of the Beast UK tour back in 2019 and it was a good show. This was a stop in their europe tour for legacy of the beast, and they decided to start the show with 3 songs off their new album. the place was dead. Picked up a little bit in Writing on the Wall, but you could have heard a **** pin drop without the music for the first 2, some polite applause at the end of each song, but after the second one, one guy yelled "PLAY YOUR OLD SHIT", and seemed to sum up the thoughts of most people. It was a spectacularly shit crowd as well bit of a mixture of some people trying to get a moshpit going, but 99% of the crowd just wanting to stand still, clap along, and enjoy seeing  "the big metal band". Picked up a little bit with the old hits, but easily the most disappointing experience of the weekend. The only band lame enough to go off for that fake encore shit as well. Twice.

Sleep Token: Cracking studio band, love their songs, but they make literally 0 effort getting the crowd going, no interaction at all, because it's all about their mysterious aloof persona. May as well have listened to them on Spotify. Saw them a few weeks ago as well, opening for Architects and said similar, but my partner wanted to see them so went along. I doubt I'll bother seeing them live again, even if I keep listening to them.

Deftones:  I like their stuff, but a poor live band, on this showing, Chino's voice was absolutely wrecked. Kind of painful to listen to.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just got tickets for The Brian Jonestown Massacre in Falmouth next January - really liked the band since watching their catastrophic exploits in the documentary ‘Dig’.

Also looking to get tickets for Sports Team in October in London. Wouldn’t normally be overly fussed but it’s on the night before I see Pavement at the Camden Roundhouse - so may as well make it a double gig weekender 😂

• Like 2

Managed to get 4 tickets for the Taylor Hawkins tribute gig thanks to a pre sale code. Clashes with the home game against Citeh.

Will be an emotional event that’s for sure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Managed to get 4 tickets for the Taylor Hawkins tribute gig thanks to a pre sale code. Clashes with the home game against Citeh.

Will be an emotional event that’s for sure.

Not a reflection on you, a general statement. I would have thought that those that had tickets for their last batch of dates should have got some sort of queue jumping link. That would have been the right thing to do. 

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not a reflection on you, a general statement. I would have thought that those that had tickets for their last batch of dates should have got some sort of queue jumping link. That would have been the right thing to do. 

FYI I had 4 tickets for Villa Park and also 4 for the London stadium

Edited by Robbie09

2 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

FYI I had 4 tickets for Villa Park and also 4 for the London stadium

As I said, not a statement to reflect on you, a general statement to reward the fans. 

Didn't even bother to try. Wembley would be pretty abysmal I suspect and getting tickets a nightmare. Just checked and looks to be sold out (although you can try and select) and tickets already on resale for £300/400. Disgraceful to be honest given what it is meant to be about (and revenues are going to charity). Ticketmaster are making an absolute killing out of this. 

In better news Zeal & Ardor have announced a UK tour in November and got ticket for Wolverhampton show. One of the best albums this year so far. Cannot wait :) 

• Like 1

Â