The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

There's a fair few modern (ish) black and white films that are excellent.

American History X, The Artist, Nebraska, Memento (is that black and white? In my head it is) and Clerks

Persepolis too, although not sure if that counts as it's animated.

to name a few

control
How could I forget that?

Great film!

I don't remember Memento being black and white and American History X only is in the flashbacks.
Fair enough, I was doing it from memory so happy to be corrected

Memento was definetly b&w in parts. Pi, Man Bites Dog, Dead Man, Das Weisse Band...Tetsuo! That Ben Wheatley flick released simultaneously online, on DVD, at the flicks and on TV too, which I can''t rememeber the name of. There's a ton.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Some people are like that though.

My housemate currently. He likes films, but he doesn't watch many old ones.

Same here.   I watch around 2 films a week, but they are new films as they come out. 

I can't go back over the past 80 years and watch all the old stuff. 

Plus the style is so different, i feel like i'm watching an alien film, it doesn't engross me the way a modern film does (it may just be in my head).

I think we've had this conversation before, but i've only ever seen 1 film in B&W in my life (i think).

and no, i haven't seen Schindlers List yet.

Schindlers List is a work of art. One of the best films ever.

• Like 1

Gone Girl is great, for the most part. Think the problems it has are due to the source material. Can't really discuss without ruining it. Rosamund Pike is surprisingly good.

Watched Hurt Locker this morning - utterly fantastic I thought, can't think of anything that annoyed me about the film at all. Renner was great in the lead role. Could have enjoyed a little more Fiennes I suppose, but that's nit picking to an absurd degree.

Didn't really get the hype over Hurt Locker. It was a good film, but not necessarily Oscar worthy. 

Not that I mind that it beat out Avatar. Shit, superficial bullshit of a movie.

Â