The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Xmen days of future past

Probably the best xmen film yet IMO I thought it was really well paced and worked perfectly with the past and future story lines, no doubt it is full of plot holes but none really jumped out at me (other than xmen 3 by and large being forgotten) there were maybe a few too many cheesy nods to the future, and not all of the mutants work (sunspot was ok, bishop was disappointing, warpath was pointless, not a beast fan and wolverine seemed strangely neutered) some were good though (they used blink really well, quicksilver was good too)

I think they've got a problem for AoA though, fassbender and mcavoy smash this again, not sure when they set the next film but they're better than Stewart and mckellen

What I don't understand is the next movie is supposedly set in the 80s (so they can use Macavoy/Fassbender/Lawrence) but the end of DoFP was set in the 2020s so the villains won't hold much threat as we already know how everything turns out. Unless it involves some more time travel and changing the future again.

Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness last night. I thought it was quite enjoyable. Good action, good humour, Cumberbatch being a bad-ass as usual.

Don't understand why he was playing an Indian guy though.

Edited by Ghost

Xmen days of future past

Probably the best xmen film yet IMO I thought it was really well paced and worked perfectly with the past and future story lines, no doubt it is full of plot holes but none really jumped out at me (other than xmen 3 by and large being forgotten) there were maybe a few too many cheesy nods to the future, and not all of the mutants work (sunspot was ok, bishop was disappointing, warpath was pointless, not a beast fan and wolverine seemed strangely neutered) some were good though (they used blink really well, quicksilver was good too)

I think they've got a problem for AoA though, fassbender and mcavoy smash this again, not sure when they set the next film but they're better than Stewart and mckellen

What I don't understand is the next movie is supposedly set in the 80s (so they can use Macavoy/Fassbender/Lawrence) but the end of DoFP was set in the 2020s so the villains won't hold much threat as we already know how everything turns out. Unless it involves some more time travel and changing the future again.

Something tells me that will be conveniently swept under the rug

I assume the scene explaining how professor x isn't dead anymore got cut and will be on the DVD extras ;)

But you're right if they want any kind of continuity then they can't kill anyone off in that film unless they are new, will also be interesting how they write gambit in to it with him being in origins, other than that I'm sure who else they can use, an older quicksilver, scarlet witch, jubilee, forge, almost certainly cable I would have thought

X3 really was a car crash

• Like 1

Xmen days of future past

Something tells me that will be conveniently swept under the rug

I assume the scene explaining how professor x isn't dead anymore got cut and will be on the DVD extras ;)

But you're right if they want any kind of continuity then they can't kill anyone off in that film unless they are new, will also be interesting how they write gambit in to it with him being in origins, other than that I'm sure who else they can use, an older quicksilver, scarlet witch, jubilee, forge, almost certainly cable I would have thought

X3 really was a car crash

Regarding Prof X being alive, that was "explained" in the X3 end credits scene and touched upon how it would work (transferring his consciousness) earlier in the movie.

Cable really needs to be in the movie. He's one of the best characters in all of fiction IMO.

Yeah it was great. Never heard of it to be honest. Was looking for a comedy on Netflix and that was listed so gave it a try (although it's not really a comedy).

I was left a little bit cold by the ending. I think part of me wanted it all wrapped up in a little bow. But it was still great.

Finally, a comic book movie that might actually be worth watching

ad_136175517.jpg

(it's bananaman)

Bananaman.jpg

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Finally, a comic book movie that might actually be worth watching

ad_136175517.jpg

(it's bananaman)

Meh, there's only one 80's cartoon reboot movie I'm looking forward to..

jem-cast-pics-570x881.jpg

Jem_logo.jpg

Oh Jem, you are outrageous.  Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

• Like 1

Only God Forgives is on Netflix. Haven't seen it. Worth it?

its ok, style over substance big time, gosling is alright for the 7 words that he says, the mom is good, the thai cop is really good

its 2 hours long with about 15 mins of stuff actually happening

Any of you guys heard of the Bechdel test?

It is a test of whether a film is sexist* or not. (*sexist against women, that is)

I was amazed when I heard of it but when I found out the rules, I couldn't think of many films which would pass. :)

1. It has to have at least two women in it,
  2. who talk to each other,
  3. about something besides a man
Edited by MakemineVanilla

Only God Forgives is on Netflix. Haven't seen it. Worth it?

I thought it was excellent.

Pretty confusing. It took until the second watch for me to appreciate it, and I had to do a little bit of reading on the cinematography to reassure myself of what certain stuff meant.

So yeah. I think it's amazing. But takes a bit of work, which is understandably not everybody's cup of tea. I can see why some people didn't receive it very well.

Watch it in HD if possible. It's beautiful

Â