The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I bet you'd be surprised at how many movies fail that sexism test.

Off the top of my head, some of my favourites.

Fifth Element - not sexist. 

No Country For Old Men - not sexist, but quite possibly only for once scene!

O Brother Where Art Thou - sexist I reckon. I can only think of one prominent female, and I'm not sure she ever converses with any other females. Possibly her daughters, but then they'd probably be talking about Clooney's character so they'd fail that test.

Pulp Fiction - I'm struggling to think of any scene where two women converse. There's a couple of female characters, but I'm not sure they ever talk to each other.

Drive - Again, I think this fails. I can't think of any scene where two women converse.

So out of 5 of my favourite films, I reckon 3 of them probably fail. And the two that pass only scrape it!

So I seed'd the Thin Red Line on Tuesday the 27th't of May, 2014.  It is an older film which was filmed and shot sometime in 1998 in a place called Tokyo.  I have since researched that Tokyo was the birthday place of a familiar monster star called Dawn French.

I was really dissapointed that a film that was film shooted in Tokyo did not feature my favorite Chinese actor Jackie Chan. 

In the film, it was a lovely day, the sun was shining and I think the men that went on those narrow boats should have worn less clothes, because of the heating elements. 

When they got off the boats, they ran up this massive hill.  Then it all began "PITCHU! PITCHU, PITCHU! CLANG! "I'M RELOADING YOU ROTTERS! STOP SHOOTING IN MY DIRECTION!!"

but did the rotters stop shooting at him? Did they ****.

One time this guy really runs up the hill with his legs all tired, but he thinks "**** THIS, I'M ENJOYING MY RUN, I'LL KEEP GOING!" and all of the soilders think "WOOOOO!" and shot their pistols in the air like some kind of mad texan guy.

Anyway, a few people die and it is bad.  I think the dictator of the film showed this happening because it demonstrates that war is only good for the people killing.  The people who are dead are just sad because there's no respawns.

There was also a bit with a village full of black people living a lovely simple life.  There was a soilder with them who made them play some games when the children just wanted to sleep, but he said "no, you must play these parlour games". 

There was also a bit where a soilder kept imagining his girlfriend on a swing, but I thought she's to old to be on a swing, she might fall off and crack her head or something like that.

Overall, I liked parts and I disliked other parts.

But because it was a lovely sunny day, I give this film a whopping 9.5/10

I would watch it again probably, but I might not because it was boring in some parts.  I might watch it again and just fast forward all the woman on the swing and get to the killing bits.

elmo-tl_dr.gif

• Like 4

Drive? Hmm, pretty sure a few of the strippers were conversing just before the hammer scene?

hmmmm fair point

Do they count?

Still, makes you think though.

Drive? Hmm, pretty sure a few of the strippers were conversing just before the hammer scene?

hmmmm fair point

Do they count?

Still, makes you think though.

If I'm being honest Stevo, I was being trying to be funny but it didn't really work. Using strippers in my argument for anti-sexism!

I don't know what's wrong with me, I never post seriously anymore.  I blame the 'like' system. :(

• Like 2

article-0-1E4CDC3E00000578-857_634x477-6

article-0-1E4D1C2800000578-317_634x608-6

article-0-1E4BD8B400000578-464_306x496.j  article-0-1E4BD59C00000578-430_306x496.j

Taken from the new Terminator movie

Arnie with gray hair grizzled Terminator :D

Khaleesi has too much of a baby face to play Sarah Connor though imo

Oh and Matt Smith as the Terminator

MKLxM5y.jpg

Edited by AshVilla

Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor?  Why didn't I know this?

She is quite amusing actually because in The Sarah Connor chronicles TV show that got cancelled it was Lena Headley (Cersei Lannister) that played Sarah Connor i thought she was quite good at it as well

article-0-1E4CDC3E00000578-857_634x477-6

article-0-1E4D1C2800000578-317_634x608-6

article-0-1E4BD8B400000578-464_306x496.j  article-0-1E4BD59C00000578-430_306x496.j

Taken from the new Terminator movie

Arnie with gray hair grizzled Terminator :D

Khaleesi has too much of a baby face to play Sarah Connor though imo

Oh and Matt Smith as the Terminator

MKLxM5y.jpg

Bloody hell.

dead-horse.gif

Just looked it up and the actor that plays John Connor is older, and in this one he's travelled back in time?

How the hell is this going to fit into the canon especially as Sarah Connor was meant to have died in 1997 (iirc).

I've seen Robert Patrick will have a cameo as a scientist.  Cool!

Emilia Clarke is Sarah Connor?  Why didn't I know this?

I didn't know who she is  .. but she's made it onto my "would" list   .. saying that it's quite a long list and I'll doubt I'll get through them all  .....

• Like 2

Just looked it up and the actor that plays John Connor is older, and in this one he's travelled back in time?

How the hell is this going to fit into the canon especially as Sarah Connor was meant to have died in 1997 (iirc).

I've seen Robert Patrick will have a cameo as a scientist.  Cool!

Yeah so in the above pictures you have

A 60 year old terminator standing next to a 30 year old Kyle reese, 40 year old John Connor and a 26 year old Sarah Connor

Time travel eh no wonder Matt Smith is in it

Plus there is going to be a T-1000 Terminator in it so it is great for fans that Robert Patrick is going to play some kind of role 

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I didn't mind Salvation ,

though i query the logic in killing a neigh on  indestructible killing machine in order to save Connor who was a  bit of a clearing in the woods

Im sure you will be able to pick holes in the new terminator till the cows come home but take it as a popcorn film and it could be really good.

Get the tone and the effects right and as long as the script isn't ridiculous im sure I will enjoy it.

Â