The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just saw 'Expendables' advert on TV.

The cast looks really good.

Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and... Stone Cold Steve Austin :)

Yep, surely with a cast like that it can't be shit?

Just saw 'Expendables' advert on TV.

The cast looks really .

Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and... Stone Cold Steve Austin :)

Yep, surely with a cast like that it can't be shit?

isn't that the point, they need to make it 80's style action movie. Terrible yet brilliant. Kind of like true lies.

Finally got round to my second viewing (after about 25 years) of Solaris (the proper one, not the pointless remake).

Even better this time. I even like the "driving" sequence (anybody who's seen it will know what I mean).

I got forced to watch Downfall (apparently geeks find it funny?) Turns out it was quite interesting!

One of the best films ever made that! It's the only foreign language film I have seen more than once and Bruno Ganz pulls off the performance of a lifetime.

If you like war films then this is an absolute must see IMO.

i watched 25th hour after it coming so high on that top 50

it was ok, norton isnt exactly stretched but the cast and script are pretty sound, but it doesnt really go anywhere or do anything and just to add to all the pointlessness Lee has weaved in loads of references to 9/11, for example a scene where 2 characters are having a conversation in front of a window overlooking ground zero, or nortons dad being an ex fireman running a bar full of pictures of dead firemen, all a bit strange

not a clue why it got voted so high

I got forced to watch Downfall (apparently geeks find it funny?) Turns out it was quite interesting!

One of the best films ever made that! It's the only foreign language film I have seen more than once and Bruno Ganz pulls off the performance of a lifetime.

Have you seen Das Boot? I mentioned it a few pages ago, but if you like Downfall then it really might be up your alley.

Have you seen Das Boot? I mentioned it a few pages ago, but if you like Downfall then it really might be up your alley.

Of course! Another superb film and the fact that it is also from the "other side's"

perspective only enhances it's appeal IMO. I think Downfall just beats it though.

Ps. I can't but help think of the Phoenix night's fruit machine when I hear das boot :D

Yeah, I really liked Iwo Jima.

Flags of our Fathers is very much for an American audience I feel, the people it covers are household names over there. One cool thing about watching both films are the occasional moments of overlap they have. The scene in the cave with the grenades springs to mind.

The-Secret-in-Their-Eyes.jpg

Probably film of the year so far for me. :thumb:

Just watched it again for the second day running. It really is that good. In fact there is a ten minute sequence at a football stadium which contains some of the best cinema I've seen for a long time.

Story - Top notch

Acting - Top notch

Direction - Top notch

It's basically top notch. :mrgreen:

Â