The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched 'Kick Ass' last night. It was safe to say that it wasn't what I expected and it's quite **** up in parts, but I thought it was brilliant.

"Alright you c*nts, lets see what you can do"

Quality.

It was Chindie, I've watched 39 of the 50 now so will likely watch the other 11.

I have seen 4 of those 50 films, which is poor by any standards, I think its time to join blockbuster

Well, since I've never seen either, I'm going to seek out 25th Hour and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind today/tomorrow I think.

There a few films on there I have no interest in seeing whatsoever so I doubt I'd complete the 50, but I reckon I've got cause to break the 30 mark.

Crash is rubbish

In the same way that slumdog and hurt locker are now rubbish? ie killed by hype?

I hadnt even seen a trailer for crash and only saw it cos i had 2 hrs to kill with nothing else on, i thought it was brilliant, also won best film at the oscars imo in the toughest year i can remember, iirc it beat capote, brokeback, goodnight and goodluck and munich

Tenenbaums is a fantastic movie. One if the best comedy movies ever.

Big fan of Wes Anderson, Life Aquatic being one my favourite movies. Opinion on him is very divided though, a friend of mine who shares a very similar taste in movies to me and whose judgment I always respect, cannot stand his movies which is something that baffles me. Personally I love him, you only need to watch a few frames to know it's one of his movies, as he has such a distinct style. I think his character work is utterly mesmerising, his characters convey so much emotion without saying too much and let's face it, If you can make a great movie with Owen Wilson in, you must be doing something right. :mrgreen:

Tenenbaums is a fantastic movie. One if the best comedy movies ever.

Big fan of Wes Anderson, Life Aquatic being one my favourite movies. Opinion on him is very divided though, a friend of mine who shares a very similar taste in movies to me and whose judgment I always respect, cannot stand his movies which is something that baffles me. Personally I love him, you only need to watch a few frames to know it's one of his movies, as he has such a distinct style. I think his character work is utterly mesmerising, his characters convey so much emotion without saying too much and let's face it, If you can make a great movie with Owen Wilson in, you must be doing something right. :mrgreen:

What did you make of his (Wes Anderson) animated version of The Fantastic Mr Fox??

I personally really enjoyed it - it was typically quirky and he invented and filled out more characters than the book too. Again, he managed to obtain a good cast too!

Crash is rubbish

I agree completely. I really disliked it, I didnt see it until six months ago and the hype had disappeared to the point where I forgot it even won an oscar. It pisses me off that most of the characters in the film act so irrationally and like utter arseholes just to drive the plot forwards. I want to slap them. Shots of them staring forlornly into the distance through a sepia filter when their whole world comes crashing in doesnt make me stop wanting to slap them either. It's a terrible film.

What did you make of his (Wes Anderson) animated version of The Fantastic Mr Fox??

I personally really enjoyed it - it was typically quirky and he invented and filled out more characters than the book too. Again, he managed to obtain a good cast too!

I enjoyed it mate, mostly for the same reasons you did. I tried not to get too bogged down with the book comparisons and the animation style really appealed to me.

I'm going to watch Island Of Lost Souls now, old school horror ftw.

And Bela Lugosi of course!

:thumb:

I bought myself The Black Cat a while ago on DVD, love a bit of Bela now and again.

Â