The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Robocop - a film very close to my heart, has a remake, or even a re-imagining.

Jose Padhila, the director, has already stated that there's no way he could re-create the spirit, atmosphere and commentary of the original, so has taken the film in his own direction, mostly the automation of our military systems. Drones and the like.

Sadly, the trailer has been dressed up like the Total Recall remake.

Here it is.

http://youtu.be/INmtQXUXez8

I loved Robocop when I was a young un too.

The 1st half of the trailer looks a carbon copy of the original.  Still the second half has me a little excited!

robocop was a product of the eighties, of its time. I can't enjoy a remashed up version of it. I'd rather they just re released the original in the cinema ala what they've done with other films recently - seeing back to the Future in the cinema was fantastic given it was originally released they year I was born.

Percy Jackson and the sea of monsters - I liked the 1st one but this was a bit shit, went too far with the daddy / brother issues and not clever enough with the modern twist on greek myth, don't think the rest of the books will make it to the big screen

we are the millers - pretty good, Jennifer Anniston is stunning, Jason sudeikis is quite likeable which helps (its a role perfect for Vince Vaughan for example, but he'd have ruined it)

also think I've managed to convince the better half to go see rush next week which is a pleasant surprise

and I saw the 1st couple of reviews for 12 years a slave after the Toronto film festival, very positive, cant wait

poster.jpg

Another excellent Michael Winterbottom movie. He is surely one of the UK's most talented directors.

Great performances from John Simm and Shirley Henderson, but the kids (real life brothers and sisters) absolutely steal the show. 

Made all the more authentic as it was shot a couple of weeks at a time over a five year period (the same time period the film takes place).

I saw the trailer with a F1 car taking off as it went over a hill and thought Meh , typical Hollywood 

and then a few days later watched an excellent documentary on F1 and Hunt v Lauda and blow me if one of the cars didn't take off as it came over the top of a small incline

so sorry Ron , i'll never doubt you again

looking forward to the film  , if it's half as good as the real events it shall be awesome 

Edited by tonyh29

The original Spa-Francorchamps and the Nordschleife (original Nürburgring) sent the cars airborne regularly. "Cars were not designed to be airborne".

I've read a thorough review of the film and there are historical inaccuracies about some of the things that happened but they are very small (anecdotal), they are not important to the overall arc of the story and they are only details an anorak F1 fan would pick up on, and some not even that.

I'm looking forward to the reviews in here from the non-F1 fans.

:wave:  i'll probably see it Friday night so i'll let you know, I really enjoyed senna and have absolutely no interest in formula 1 (I take it rush will go all Hollywood and include crazy stuff that never actually happens in formula 1, like overtaking ;) ) so if its a well put together film then i'll probably still enjoy it, Hemsworth worries me, not convinced by him as an actor

like I said above, the gf saw the trailer yesterday and ive convinced her to go too and she's even less interested in formula 1 than me

I have very little interest in the actual F1 (especially these days), but I'll happily watch a feature film about it.

I even liked "Grand Prix" with James Garner! :)

My wife might like it too, as she used to have quite the crush on James Hunt.

Ugh, films with car racing.

Shoot me in the cock now, why don't you.

That's why I'm interested in the reactions in here.  Howard was conscious to make a film, not a documentary.

The original Spa-Francorchamps and the Nordschleife (original Nürburgring) sent the cars airborne regularly. "Cars were not designed to be airborne".

I've read a thorough review of the film and there are historical inaccuracies about some of the things that happened but they are very small (anecdotal), they are not important to the overall arc of the story and they are only details an anorak F1 fan would pick up on, and some not even that.

I heard that there is 1 quite bad inaccuracy to add a bit of drama, spoiler gives away a brief bit of plot -

something about a pre F1 car road race the pair have in the film? made up to try and emphasise the rivalry early doors

I heard that there is 1 quite bad inaccuracy to add a bit of drama, spoiler gives away a brief bit of plot -

something about a pre F1 car road race the pair have in the film? made up to try and emphasise the rivalry early doors

Hadn't heard that and they don't mention it in the F1 Fanatic review (warning spoilers a-go-go) but they do mention a significant event that was omitted and then go on to explain probably why ...

At first I balked at the omission of the 1976 Brands Hatch race. The start-line crash, the crowd clamouring for Hunt to be allowed to race, his win and eventual disqualification, all seemed to offer potent material. On reflection, given the difficulties of re-creating the crash and the complexities it would introduce into the plot of a film which is already two hours long, leaving it out was probably a sensible decision.

Â