The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

One of my favourite films. A great cast with great performances. Sam Rockwell steals it for me but they're all good. Apart from TDK it's probably the film I've watched more than any other. I pretty much watch it whenever it's on :)

Just got back from The Dark Knight Rises

Was ok , didn't hate it but nor did I love it, easily the weaker of the 3 films ... Without giving any spoilers every key plot part was telegraphed that you might just as well had someone with a megaphone and a neon light on their head.

Long term once the hype has died down I think this film could join inception as another blot on what has to date been a very impressive CV

I'd say 6/10 was a fair mark

On the plus side they showed a trailer for Skyfall and from what I saw there is a chance it will be the best Bond film ever

Holy cow, I just watched an unbelievably awesome cop flick from Brazil-

"Elite Squad:The Enemy Within"

Best movie I've seen in a long time, check it out!!!

On the plus side they showed a trailer for Skyfall and from what I saw there is a chance it will be the best Bond film ever

yeah now ive seen TDKR my buzz is starting for skyfall, saw a making off feature where they were just driving round shanghai playing with how the city's lights can impact a scene, it looked stunning

Watched El Orfanato tonight, not particularly scary but very very sad. Great film. A very clever, intelligent and well thought film.

It's an incredible film, beautifully shot with many nods to Del Toro, wonderfully creepy, and Belén Rueda is absolutely superb in the lead role.

It's also another movie heavily influenced by the Turn of the Screw (The Innocents and The Others being another couple I mentioned earlier in the thread)

And it's one of the only movies that has ever genuinely made me blub like a girl.

/notgheyhonest :)

Watched El Orfanato tonight, not particularly scary but very very sad. Great film. A very clever, intelligent and well thought film.

Not scary? I guess that depends on your definition of scary. It made me very, very uncomfortable at times, that for me is enough to warrant it's "horror" tag.

Agree with the rest though, magnificent film. Is it your first foray into Spanish cinema? Let me recommend The Devils Backbone, Amores Perros, REC, Celda 211 and of course Pans Labyrinth if it is. If not, you've probably seen all of them in which case, ignore me.

Not scary? I guess that depends on your definition of scary. It made me very, very uncomfortable at times, that for me is enough to warrant it's "horror" tag.

Agree with the rest though, magnificent film. Is it your first foray into Spanish cinema? Let me recommend The Devils Backbone, Amores Perros, REC, Celda 211 and of course Pans Labyrinth if it is. If not, you've probably seen all of them in which case, ignore me.

REC is probably the most scared I've been when watching a film, the last few scenes in the penthouse are just terrifying, got Devils Back Bone ready to watch tomorrow night. Cheers for the recommendations :thumb:

Just started watching The Changeling with George C. Scott.

Some great suggestions there, for Spanish language I'll just throw in The Maid, Volver, Sin Nombre, Bad Education, Satanás, Y Tu Mamá También, The Sea Inside and Maria full of Grace.

And of course, everyone should watch Secret in their eyes, which is easily one of the best movies ever made (imo of course)

One of my favourite films. A great cast with great performances. Sam Rockwell steals it for me but they're all good. Apart from TDK it's probably the film I've watched more than any other. I pretty much watch it whenever it's on :)

Holy shit, Sam Rockwell's from The Green Mile! I knew I knew his face when I watched Cowboys and Aliens but couldn't think where I knew him from.

He's excellent in TGM. Ever read the book BOF? It's good but then again it is Stephen King so that's to be expected really. One of my favourite books and films and as you say it has a fantastic cast starring a certain Villa fan as the leading man.

yeah now ive seen TDKR my buzz is starting for skyfall, saw a making off feature where they were just driving round shanghai playing with how the city's lights can impact a scene, it looked stunning

I went to see TDKR the other night and I was really impressed with the films in the trailers. I remember thinking that I would be tempted to see most of them. Skyfall was in there and that's a no-brainer, I'll definitely be seeing that.

Dread looked really good I thought and visually it was stunning in the opening scenes with the futuristic city. I thought it was the Total Recall remake at first.

Then strangely enough Total Recall was the following trailer which again looks really good. It also stars Colin Farrell who I think is a really good actor. I once saw an interview he did with Jonathan Ross a few years back now and he came across as a deeply shy and very intelligent, eloquent and emotional guy. He talked about some of the problems he had in the past and how they affected himself and the people around him and he was just incredibly genuine and likeable.

See, I don't really get the whole "remakes are sacrilege" thing, especially before people have even seen the film. Just because someone makes a remake it doesn't diminish from the original in any way. If you prefer the original, don't go see the remake and watch Arnie's version on DVD instead. Never understood why people get their pants in a bunch about it, not saying you necessarily are DDID, just speaking in general.

Some great suggestions there, for Spanish language I'll just throw in The Maid, Volver, Sin Nombre, Bad Education, Satanás, Y Tu Mamá También, The Sea Inside and Maria full of Grace.

And of course, everyone should watch Secret in their eyes, which is easily one of the best movies ever made (imo of course)

All very good films and The Secret in Their Eyes is probably one of the best films (foreign certainly) ever made, as you said. The football pitch scene and lift scene are both escpecially great.

I'll add The Holy Girl, Love's A Bitch, Biutiful, All About My Mother and Like Water For Chocolate. Also being a big fan of Guillermo del Toro I can't leave out Cronos.

Â