The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yeah, I don't see it ever getting onto anyone's top 10, but it was the girliest movie I've ever sat all the way through.

I'm usually a bit Zulu / Alien / Fench Connection in my tastes.

Like I say, probably down to location spotting for much of it. It's always interesting when you know an area well to see how they mix and match locations so well. Walk down a corridor that was in a building in one town, out and down some steps from a completely different building, cross the road to a park lord knows where and onto the beach in another town looks logical and seemless if you don't know the area. Matching the light in four different locations for a scene that lasts 20 seconds start to finish.

oh, and then being able to annoy the hell out of the missus by pointing out the scene with a sunset could only possibly have actually have been a sunrise.

I think I might have been watching it in a different way to how she watched it. Then again, she thought The Avengers was good and I thought it was a crock of geek shite. So that shows what I know about film.

I wouldn't call it pretentious, it knew quite well it was riffing off Woody Allen and any number of new wave frenchies. You could say it was a tad too self aware, but self-awareness is a plague in modern culture so it's to be expected.

I saw it as a nice little homage to those films, and it had no pretensions to be anything other than that imo.

I enjoyed Submarine quite a lot.

I wouldn't call it pretentious, it knew quite well it was riffing off Woody Allen and any number of new wave frenchies. You could say it was a tad too self aware, but self-awareness is a plague in modern culture so it's to be expected.

I saw it as a nice little homage to those films, and it had no pretensions to be anything other than that imo.

I enjoyed Submarine quite a lot.

Spot on. I also think the chap in your avatar might recognise a few of his own influences on it.

Dark Shadows - 3 out of 10

Seen a sneak preview 'unfortuntely' and its complete garbage. Trys to be funny but it just isnt and just tired of Tim Burton movies now. What annoys me most is that Johnny Depp could be up there with the Pacino's and De Niro's of modern cinema, but he just continues to do rubbish 'quirky' films like this with Tim Burton. Depp has to be the most wasted talent in cinema history. Wish he took a leaf out of Di Caprio's book and choose more wisely

Dark Shadows - 3 out of 10

Seen a sneak preview 'unfortuntely' and its complete garbage. Trys to be funny but it just isnt and just tired of Tim Burton movies now. What annoys me most is that Johnny Depp could be up there with the Pacino's and De Niro's of modern cinema, but he just continues to do rubbish 'quirky' films like this with Tim Burton. Depp has to be the most wasted talent in cinema history. Wish he took a leaf out of Di Caprio's book and choose more wisely

I haven't seen the film but when I first saw the trailer I rolled my eyes. Johnny Depp in yet another gothic-style Tim Burton film. I'm starting to think Burton has some dirt on Depp and is consistently blackmailing him.

In other news, last night I watched Buried with Ryan Reynolds. Considering the fact that it truly is an hour an a half of Ryan Reynolds in a wooden box, it was actually really impressive how much drama, tension and story they squeezed out of it. I really enjoyed it.

watched 'Submarine' last night.

A low budget dry humour British coming of age type movie

That one stayed under the radar.

Prometheus however i can see myself going to the cinemas to watch it a dozen times over and over

yeah and me, the gf for some strange reason really doesnt like the look of it and wont go, so im lining people up and will no doubt end up going with a few different groups

i watched super 8 again tonight, i know a few people slate it but i think its a brilliant film

also watched red riding hood, rubbish, needed to be saucier and have more violence

again, she thought The Avengers was good and I thought it was a crock of geek shite. So that shows what I know about film.

Just before I go any further may I just say a big **** you, it is not a crock of geek shit it's a crock of geek gold :-)

Which brings me onto my next point.

I am getting a bit pissed off with people (especially birds) banging on about how excited they are to be going to see the avengers, one of the days last week there was 4 birds from work going to see it together and they were banging on about how excited they were etc etc, when I asked them what they thought of the other films (iron man 1-2, cap America, Thor, hulk) they looked at me like I was a freak and didn't even realise that the same actors were playing them

Just kind of annoyed me that Some people have waited for years for the film to he made and all of a sudden mentioning iron man or the hulk no longer refers to the comics but only to "the film"

Sounds like a pissy rant I know but it feels like a bit of my geekiness has been taken away from me when I actually quite enjoyed it, dunno if that makes sense or not :winkold: :winkold:

I have just watched Snake Eyes. I havent seen it for ages and it was on one of the sky movie channels.

I seemed to remeber it being good which is why I watched it again. Having just watched it again I have come to the conclusion its bollocks

again, she thought The Avengers was good and I thought it was a crock of geek shite. So that shows what I know about film.

Just before I go any further may I just say a big **** you, it is not a crock of geek shit it's a crock of geek gold :-)

:winkold:

ah I thought I'd got away with that. I know I must be wrong, the footfall figures tell me so. But big budget children's films based on comics just leave me cold. People in my Brummy office bang on about whether or not some made up character's utility bely will be like the 1962 comic or the first 1973 film or whether cat lady or Mr Tickle will be darker this time. Just leaves me utterly bored.

Watched Taken on Film4 last night.

Get me a flight to Paris!

When for?

An hour ago!

Epic. Don't mess with Liam Neeson's grizzled CIA agent or his annoying daughter.

Â