The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

They might as well have copied the transformers film replaced it with men in capes and its exactly the same film!

People say its fun loads of action but the first hour and half there is barely any action. Totally boring, and as expected the dialogue is shocking.

Just giving my opinion its a terrible movie. Not even the genre as a whole cause Batman, Blade and Kick-ass were all executed excellently.

Just saying its a film a 12 year old will like but for a grown up to say it a 10 out of 10 or 'the greatest film they have ever seen' I find odd, but each to there own. Maybe people find it odd when I say one flew over the cuccoos nest is the greatest film ever made but thats just my opinion and im open to be ridiculed as its just the internet so doesnt really matter.

It sounds like I'm the only one who really enjoyed the first Transformers movie then :?

You seem to think that grown-ups shouldn't enjoy these types of action films amd instead should like films with great stories and characters like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and I don't understand why you come to that conclusion. I personally like all sorts of different films. Sometimes I want something easy to watch and enjoy on a base level, like The Avengers. Its good action, bits of comedy thrown in there and appeals to my fun side. Then I'll enjoy watching films like OFOTCN and The Godfather, American History X, Forrest Gump etc. because they have great narratives and characters.

You obviously don't enjoy superhero films, that's fair enough. But going around labelling them as films for 12 year olds to enjoy just makes you look pretentious and small-minded. Try to understand that different people like different things at different times.

As for your comments on Kickass though, christ on a bike what a shit film. At least The Avengers knew what it wanted to be. I thought Kickass moved about way too much from trying to be a comedy (if the film's idea of comedy is getting a pre-teenage girl to say word removed then it's safe to say I just didn't find it funny at all), to a teen drama, to a grisly action film. It just wasn't for me. I know lots of people liked it, I thought it was a bit shit.

All this just shows that the word "best" is pretty pointless. Depends what criteria you are using. I like the first Alien best, because I prefer tension-based thrillers to all-action shoot-ups (even though I like them too at times). The franchise features different types of film.

100 % agree. Alien is a proper good movie and its easily a 9 or 10 out of 10 for me. While Aliens is almost as good there are a few problems. The marines are useless, someone listed them all further up in the thread. There is a quicker way, mr&mrs body bag. The second one does what a lot of films do when the try and pull fans of other films types in, add children. The most obvious and lame plot device of them all, instead of a sci fi / horror epic we end up with people throwing the logic book out the window and getting all tear eyed because of a doll or blanket. I still love the film but it's only an 8 out of 10. If the film had a clue it would have had the kid mashed up real quick, now that would focus our Ripley ?

They might as well have copied the transformers film replaced it with men in capes and its exactly the same film!

People say its fun loads of action but the first hour and half there is barely any action. Totally boring, and as expected the dialogue is shocking.

Just giving my opinion its a terrible movie. Not even the genre as a whole cause Batman, Blade and Kick-ass were all executed excellently.

Just saying its a film a 12 year old will like but for a grown up to say it a 10 out of 10 or 'the greatest film they have ever seen' I find odd, but each to there own. Maybe people find it odd when I say one flew over the cuccoos nest is the greatest film ever made but thats just my opinion and im open to be ridiculed as its just the internet so doesnt really matter.

It sounds like I'm the only one who really enjoyed the first Transformers movie then :?

You seem to think that grown-ups shouldn't enjoy these types of action films amd instead should like films with great stories and characters like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and I don't understand why you come to that conclusion. I personally like all sorts of different films. Sometimes I want something easy to watch and enjoy on a base level, like The Avengers. Its good action, bits of comedy thrown in there and appeals to my fun side. Then I'll enjoy watching films like OFOTCN and The Godfather, American History X, Forrest Gump etc. because they have great narratives and characters.

You obviously don't enjoy superhero films, that's fair enough. But going around labelling them as films for 12 year olds to enjoy just makes you look pretentious and small-minded. Try to understand that different people like different things at different times.

As for your comments on Kickass though, christ on a bike what a shit film. At least The Avengers knew what it wanted to be. I thought Kickass moved about way too much from trying to be a comedy (if the film's idea of comedy is getting a pre-teenage girl to say word removed then it's safe to say I just didn't find it funny at all), to a teen drama, to a grisly action film. It just wasn't for me. I know lots of people liked it, I thought it was a bit shit.

I hear what your saying, but come on transformers, captain america, thor are quite clearly aimed at kids...as is avengers. You can tell by the child like dialogue and silly action scenes.

And i do love superhero films like Batman, Blade and Hellboy that have actual grown up content and dialogue.

:D Also not saying adults should'nt like a kids film like Avengers, but just saying the praise its getting as 'best film ever' '10 out of 10' is madness and I feel slightly mislead into seeing it as I expected Citizen Kane from the reviews on here and what people have told me

I hear what your saying, but come on transformers, captain america, thor are quite clearly aimed at kids...as is avengers. You can tell by the child like dialogue and silly action scenes.

And i do love superhero films like Batman, Blade and Hellboy that have actual grown up content and dialogue.

:D Also not saying adults should'nt like a kids film like Avengers, but just saying the praise its getting as 'best film ever' '10 out of 10' is madness and I feel slightly mislead into seeing it as I expected Citizen Kane from the reviews on here and what people have told me

I'll leave it to someone else, I can't be bothered anymore.

I prefer Alien, because it is stonkingly beautiful. A masterclass in lighting.
Hadn't really thought about that too much, but you're right. Big film noir influence in the lighting, perhaps why it appeals to me as I'm a huge noir fan.

Moneyball - 8 out of 10 : Much better then anticipated. Brad Pitt was great yet again and the fat lad from superbad who's name escapes me (jonas hill??) put in a surprisingly good performance

Network - 8.5 out of 10 : Cult classic. Some of the best acting you will ever see in any movie

Which of these films are the best

Shooter, Out for Justice, Cobra, Bad Boys 2, Red Dawn, Point Break, Roadhouse, Invasion USA, Commando, Juice, Harsh Times, King of New York, Menace II Society, Belly

?

I want to watch all of the films sampled in Graf Orlock songs - I've alot of them, the obvious stuff like Aliens, Terminator, Die Hard, etc. etc. but none of the above. It'd be nice to put some of the quotes into context in the actual film

Which of these films are the best

Shooter, Out for Justice, Cobra, Bad Boys 2, Red Dawn, Point Break, Roadhouse, Invasion USA, Commando, Juice, Harsh Times, King of New York, Menace II Society, Belly

?

I want to watch all of the films sampled in Graf Orlock songs - I've alot of them, the obvious stuff like Aliens, Terminator, Die Hard, etc. etc. but none of the above. It'd be nice to put some of the quotes into context in the actual film

Cobra has one of the all-time greatest one-liners.

I'd say Roadhouse or Point break. I like Red dawn, but I think I'm quite on my own on that one. :) There are a few there I haven't seen and I can't remember how good or bad Cobra and Commando is. Shooter is decent.

Saw an advanced preview of 'The Raid' at Cineworld last night...

Wow, just wow! The fight scenes are just incredible, brutal but without being 'over the top'. Lots of tension throughout the movie and an excellent score (by Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, I'm not his biggest fan but he did a great job with this).

Also saw a new extended Dark Knight Rises trailer, looks immense!

ZOMG IT HAS COMEDY IT MUST BE FOR KIDS!

Get a grip.

Saw an advanced preview of 'The Raid' at Cineworld last night...

Wow, just wow! The fight scenes are just incredible, brutal but without being 'over the top'. Lots of tension throughout the movie and an excellent score (by Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, I'm not his biggest fan but he did a great job with this).

The Raid is excellent, highly recommend it. :thumb:

Â