The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Shoah is on youtube. The parts that really got to me were the hairdresser and the man who worked on the ovens. I'd read about the subject but here the director is forcing these people to continue with the interviews when they want to stop. It is very upsetting.

I've had to sit through the whole of Shoah (for uni) and I think it's a terrible piece of film making. To much of Claude Lanzmann wanking over his own self importance. The part where he takes the Jewish survivors back to Poland, only to get abuse from the locals, which he pretty much engineers, is completely out of line.

If you want to see something about the Holocaust, watch Night and Fog, instead.

As like many on here I saw Avengers last night, nothing else to be said. I just feel sorry for all the cinema goers I nerdgasm'd all over. Only the naked female breast beats the Avengers into second place on a list of the greatest things my eyes have seen thus far.

:shock:

So this film is better then the Godfather, Goodfellas, One flew over the cukoos nest, the good the bad the ugly?? :D

Bad Education - got lost half way through what was going on. I don't care for Almodovar, he's a bit mental.

I really enjoyed Bad Education, I'm a big fan of Gael Garcia Bernal and I thought he was terrific in it. As for Almodovar, Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown ftw! :)

He was good I'll admit that, and prior to this I'd had to watch Live Flesh a few times for a piece on adaptation ( from a ruth rendell novel! ) and after much reading up on Senor Almodovar I understand more about him as an "emblem of Spain" etc, but he does make films you need to watch a few times over to properly understand it seems. :)

Saw Avengers last night. Was good fun, I think Chindie's mass enthusiasm may have led me to expect something blowing my mind away which didn't happen :evil: ;) - though I caveat that with its probably due me not being a comic book fella so I would have missed alot it in there. Was very funny, all the main characters got a fair whack - and I will go and see thor and captain america now too, but I thought the film on a whole was on a par with the first iron man - very very good but maybe not awesome. 4/5.

I assume that scene referred to as either you go " wow" or eh? was the post credits one?

Saw Avengers last night. Was good fun, I think Chindie's mass enthusiasm may have led me to expect something blowing my mind away which didn't happen :evil: ;) - though I caveat that with its probably due me not being a comic book fella so I would have missed alot it in there.
My intention to see it is starting to wane already.

I also am not a comic book fella. I WAS a comic book BOY, but I'm 58 FFS !

OK, I'd probably enjoy it, but given that the missus refuses to countenance watching such nonsense and I don't really want to go as Billy No Mates, I'm now leaning towards giving it a miss until it turns up on TV.

I'd still recommend watching it at the cinema. In a packed audience as well it's great in that 'collective experience' lark too, so the 'no mates' thing is irrelevant to an extent! When everyone's laughing at some great set-pieces etc I would still consider it an excellent film.

dunno if this is really a spoiler but ill write small:

The scene with Loki and the Hulk at one point was just hilarious.

Shoah is on youtube. The parts that really got to me were the hairdresser and the man who worked on the ovens. I'd read about the subject but here the director is forcing these people to continue with the interviews when they want to stop. It is very upsetting.

I've had to sit through the whole of Shoah (for uni) and I think it's a terrible piece of film making. To much of Claude Lanzmann pulling the Pope's cap off over his own self importance. The part where he takes the Jewish survivors back to Poland, only to get abuse from the locals, which he pretty much engineers, is completely out of line.

If you want to see something about the Holocaust, watch Night and Fog, instead.

I don't think it's about choosing between the two as their approaches are so different. Any comparison is pointless.

Last film I watched was Unforgiven which I had avoided until now due to not liking Westerns. Perfect cast, great script and beautifully shot.

I still think for pure entertainment it's hard to beat - it smartly made easy to follow has some nice laughs and everyone appears to be having a ball making it and everyone nails their characters. I do think you'd get more out of it if you are invested in the films thus far and if you are a comic fan, but it's still a really good watch regardless. You just sit back, take it in, and enjoy it. It's not smart, it's not flawless (far from it), but it's really bloody good imo.

As for some of your points Rodders - yes the post credit scene is the 'You'll either go mad or you'll go 'Um...?'' scene. And they seemed to decide that they would set up the SHIELD agents Black Widow and Hawkeye in other films - Black Widow is a supporting character in Iron Man 2, and Hawkeye has a cameo in Thor in which he does the sum total of not a lot. They have had murmurs of wanting to do a SHIELD film but I doubt it'll happen.

I think going back to the solo films might be hard after the Avengers, it blows all of them out of the water. Though they are good films in their own right. Unfortunately they all suffer from weak endings to greater or lesser extents which the Avengers doesn't.

Interestingly they have done an extra scene for after the credits apparently, that's being shown with the US release. Thankfully it's largely a joke scene so doesn't matter much.

Watched the latest American Pie last night, if you liked the previousl ones you will enjoy this one, its pretty much the same kind of set up.

That reminds me i need to post in the most hated celebs forum too

I think going back to the solo films might be hard after the Avengers, it blows all of them out of the water. Though they are good films in their own right. Unfortunately they all suffer from weak endings to greater or lesser extents which the Avengers doesn't.

I think most of these types of films have weak endings. I think both Batman films were the same, it seems to be hard to really have an explosive ending for some reason.

Marvel said they'll be doing 2 a year from now on, so there's a possibility that a SHIELD movie could be done since there's an opening in 2014. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 next year, Captain American 2 and ? in 2014. I imagine Hulk 2 and something else for 2015.

As like many on here I saw Avengers last night, nothing else to be said. I just feel sorry for all the cinema goers I nerdgasm'd all over. Only the naked female breast beats the Avengers into second place on a list of the greatest things my eyes have seen thus far.

:shock:

So this film is better then the Godfather, Goodfellas, One flew over the cukoos nest, the good the bad the ugly?? :D

As a spectacle and feast for the eyes, without a doubt. Plus it helps that I'm a bit of a geek. Given the choice between goodfellas and avengers, avengers would win. One flew over and GB&U are great great films but as a sheer spectacle, not even close. Plus the godfather films are on my 'must watch soon' list so who knows?

Or it could be that I had not long seen it and was still in amazement by it, as time passes my opinion may change, but as it stands it is THE best film I've ever seen at the cinema.

I think most of these types of films have weak endings. I think both Batman films were the same, it seems to be hard to really have an explosive ending for some reason.

Marvel said they'll be doing 2 a year from now on, so there's a possibility that a SHIELD movie could be done since there's an opening in 2014. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 next year, Captain American 2 and ? in 2014. I imagine Hulk 2 and something else for 2015.

Yeah all superhero movies have seemed to suffer from it but MArvel more than most - each of their films has had a really lacklustre ending that didn't quite blow you away as they seem to rush to the end.

As for the upcoming schedule... Iron Man 3 is next year and is allegedly going in a different direction, apparently taking more cues from spy thrillers. It's also apparently taking inspiration from the Extremis storyline... which'd be interesting.

Thor 2 is also going in a different direction, allegedly it's going to be a far bigger film in scope and will deal with the consequences of Asgard being cut off from the rest of the realms with the Bifrost gone. Done properly that could be incredible, especially as Thor does have some epic foes and storylines to pinch from if they're prepared to go big.

Cap 2 has been pushed back and nobody appears to have a clue what the **** is going on with it. Funnily enough I'm not sure that Cap has the legs as a series, he's iconic as a WW2 character, in a modern day sense he's left a bit wanting when compared to everyone else. He's quite dull, the honourable schtick wears thin fast. He'd work really well if they had the balls to do a Civil War inspired flick though.

Hulk 2 was never happening and only seems to have come back on the table thanks to the Avengers success... and I think it won't work. I suspect the Hulk works far better in a ensemble, because ultimately he's just Jekyll and Hyde. And we've seen that story before.

A SHIELD movie could be interesting but I don't think Nick Fury and co is a thing for audiences. At least with the other characters (less so Thor) people had a knowledge of them, you know what you're getting when you see Iron Man or the Hulk. Nick Fury? He's not even much of a thing in the comics world any longer.

Edgar Wright wants to do an Antman film... And Marvel are massively keen to do Dr. Strange, which could be batshit bonkers but brilliant.

Nick Fury? He's not even much of a thing in the comics world any longer.
About the only Marvel comic that I really ever liked (and read more than one or two of) was Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos.

Hence my disappointment at the non-canonical black Nick Fury.

Â