The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched a couple over the weekend :-

Rise of the Planet of the Apes : 6/10 - Really this is a kids film IMO. All kind of predictable, with places visited early on having significance.

Nice graphics but big wow, it's 2011. "Spoiler"...... Just at the point when the film looked to be turning into something good.....it finished. (When someone who abuses apes finally gets done by a tazer + water it's time to go)

Conan the Barbarian : 8/10 - Real surprise this one, was expected rubbish but it was a real good enjoyable film. This film must have as much action and fighting than most films of it's type. This ain't messing around (Like the ape film), proper kill counts / blood everywhere. Highly recommended.

(in wrong thread really but....)

Walking Dead - Watched the episode(EP05) yesterday, why is it the best programmes are killed off like this. Utter rubbish, one Zombie down a well, cost cutting by any chance ? Pathetic, they might as well have got the idiots to fly to a moon with a big telescope and look at the Zombies, in fact why not ruin it completely and get the dippy slag from BBC survivors to walk around in the background shouting "Peter.....PETER!!!". I could write better episodes aged 10.

I always felt the Walking Dead was a good premise (although not very original) ruined by a shocking script and crap acting.

Back on topic,

Watched Out of Sight and Bad Liutenant on the weekend.

Seen Out of Sight before but frogot how good it was. Great film.

Bad Liutenant was a bit mental! Pretty good though.

Saw La Grande Vadrouille on Friday - French WW2 comedy from the 60's and it's really entertaining, 3 british pilots crash land in paris, local frenchies help them to rendez-vous / escape, with the usual accidents along the way. Good fun. 7/10

Sunday - had a "bad plane movie" marathon with a ocuple of friends, complete with massive oversize pizza and snacks etc:

Air Force One 6/10 - hilarious nonsense, but Harrison Ford is just his usual watchable self.

Passenger 57 1/10 :crylaugh: worst film I have ever seen in a long time. Woefully awful and the dialogue would have shamed a schoolkid. Amusing as a result though

Snakes on a Plane 6/10 - i quite like it! It's terrific nonsense, which makes no pretentions to anything else, and admittedly it's just the samuel l jackson show, but hell, thats no bad thing!

Executive Decision 6/10 - hadn't seen this in over a decade, forgot, how much of it was about the suspense etc, all I remembered was the scene of a certain star making a flying exit from proceedings. Good fun.

Con Air - 7/10 - I know some people hate it, but not me, I love it, from the time when Nic Cage made films I enjoyed ( The Rock, Gone in 60 Seconds ) very silly, Malkovitch is a great baddy, and plenty of utterly absurd action set pieces. Good finale to the film session.

saw tower heist, the gf liked it i thought it was boring, peaked when eddie murphey came into it which tells you everything you need to know

bit of a shit time at the moment IMO lots of new releases but most of them are average at best, roll on the award season films

Watched 'The Tourist' - guessed the plot after 30 minutes. Its ok, Depp does a good job at keeping it interesting, Jolie does not. 5/10

Watched 'The Godfather part 1' for the first time ever too last night. I'm not just saying this because everyone else does, but what a quality, interesting, perfectly paced story. Really, really enjoyed it, especially on Blu Ray. 10/10.

Â