The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I thought it was ok, didn't show signs of it's tiny budget but wasn't as good as the reviews made out either

i'm probably in that camp as well ..and I hated the ending (think i say that about a lot of films thinking about it )

Le Chagrin et la Pitie ( part 1 ) - thoroughly engrossing documentary on French resistance / collaboration. Filmed in 69, only on French TV in 81 due to pissing everyone off by not being all whoopee M. Gaulle, I shall be watching part deux demain I think - highly recommended - it is the biggie in a sense that allowed alternative narratives other than the , " yeah we were all in the resistance, de gaulle was centrefold hero" bias reading of the occupation until then. Not without its flaws, in the sense of its selective a little in what and who are questioned - but given the time it was made, a breakthrough moment nonetheless 7/10

Au Revoir les Enfants - 87, Louis Malle - autobiographical in large part and beautiful film about childhood, again set during the war, catholic school are hiding a jewish kid, friendship made and then there's a sense of depressing inevitability about it all, which is to be expected ( and hardly a spoiler ) 8/10

Une Condamne a Mort s'est Echappee ( A Man Escaped ) 56 -postwar realist film about the true story of a chap who escaped from a cell in Lyon. Love the way its crafted so delicately, full of detail how he plans and ultimately effects the escape. See modern film-makers - you don't need lots of shouty music! ( although there is one or two scenes with some music in this one :P ) 8/10

Lucie Aubrac - 6/10 - standard romantic adventure story with stock depictions of La Resistance. Perfectly fine and good performances from the actors, but nothing special or challenging. And the controversy surrounding the memoirs it was based on is far more fascinating and worth reading up on.

snowtown_poster.jpg

A highly disturbing and unsettling film.

From a debut director to a list of unknowns produce a cracking flick, very difficult to make a film this tough to watch.

**Ahem** previous page. :winkold:

Yes, after watching I read up about the actual events too. Truly disturbing stuff.

Â