The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

If you have any love for the Mad Max world then this is a must see. Its a darkly rivetting look at the early life of Furiosa and yet another brilliant chapter in the saga. In comparison to Fury Road, It occasionally puts the brakes on the relentless action and allows for strands of emotional heft to be wound into the overall story without sacrificing entertainment.

As for the main players, a muscular yet almost balletic physical performance from Anya Taylor Joy who does wonders to convey the Furiosa character with very limited dialogue. She works well alongside a turned up to 11 Chris Hemsworth, clearly having the time of his life as Dementus.

The direction is on point, Miller knows his Mad Max wasteland inside and out and his visual and aural flair is as dynamic, gritty and downright unique as always with him nailing every scene, whether its a rip roaring vehicular chase or one of the more character based scenes which give the story occasional room to breathe.

Go and see it on a big **** off screen, with a big **** off sound system, because its **** great.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Watched Challengers last night. Story was a bit meh for me but the missus liked it. Though, the score was pretty awesome. No surprise it was done by Trent Reznor. The music is great in every film he works on. 

• Thanks 1

Blue Beetle - he's a beetle, it's blue and the film is utter shite. 0 out of 10 and thats putting it on a pedestal. 

Just watching Ford vs Ferrari

1. I'm not an expert but is Bale's brummie accent terrible?

2. Is his son wearing a Villa top watching the race near 2 hours in. Claret and blue. I assume so. Looking online it seems closest to 57-61 shirt 

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

2. Is his son wearing a Villa top watching the race near 2 hours in. Claret and blue. I assume so. Looking online it seems closest to 57-61 shirt 

1. Yes but based on all ever attempts I think it may be the hardest accent to mimic

2. Yes it is, there’s also a claret and blue scarf hanging up at some point.

From what I read I don’t think it’s ever been documented that Miles was a Villa fan but the director researched who he’d have been most likely to support based on where he was from and then added the Villa stuff for a touch of local authenticity.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

1. Yes but based on all ever attempts I think it may be the hardest accent to mimic

2. Yes it is, there’s also a claret and blue scarf hanging up at some point.

From what I read I don’t think it’s ever been documented that Miles was a Villa fan but the director researched who he’d have been most likely to support based on where he was from and then added the Villa stuff for a touch of local authenticity.  

Miles was from Sutton and is noted as having a distinct Brummie accent. Bale makes a solid attempt but it's not quite right. In fairness Brummie is an odd accent to mimic, it's very distinct so you can immediately tell if someone is a Brummie or at very least a West Midlander, but it's features are subtle and mix Northern and Southern accent features in very particular ways that, if your ear is tuned to it, you can easily spot where it's wrong or where someone is overdoing. Which means an actor trying to do it has to be careful to walk the line between coming off like a caricature or comedic imitation, of just missing it entirely. Peaky Blinders suffers from this - the actors that do the accent best on that show are the ones that come from within an hour or so of West Mids, the rest do something that is either so subtle it just sounds a bit Brummie or someone who was born in Birmingham and then spent their teens onwards in Liverpool. 

As for the Villa connection... There's no evidence that Miles himself, to my knowledge, was a football fan at all. He was a very driven (boom boom) man who by all accounts was just interested in engineering, he only enjoyed racing because it gave him the chance to work on high end technology and his approach to racing was supposedly more an intellectual exercise of making the best machine do the best job as much as possible. But as a man from Sutton who grew up in the 20s, Villa were one of the biggest teams in the world, and on his doorstep, so if he supported someone or was probably Villa. However, his son is definitely a Villa fan and iirc was involved in the production of the film.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, bielesibub said:

Blue Beetle - he's a beetle, it's blue and the film is utter shite. 0 out of 10 and thats putting it on a pedestal. 

I watched this funny enough the other day finally and i thought it was **** terrible.  2 hours of my life ill never get back

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Watched the latest Rise of the Footsoldier film @Follyfoot. Usual Fairbrass movie, but how on earth have they made a two-bob criminal into a near superhero in this franchise.

On 25/05/2024 at 13:18, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm on my second attempt at Civil War right now, fell asleep during the first one last night

Thinking and doomsaying about "the coming civil war!!!!!!!" is yet another way lazy-thinking Americans displace the boring realities of needing to grow up and act responsibly.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Thinking and doomsaying about "the coming civil war!!!!!!!" is yet another way lazy-thinking Americans displace the boring realities of needing to grow up and act responsibly.

What about those walking among us 🇺🇸 who are fantasizing about “the coming civil war!!!!!”? 🙄

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

Watched the latest Rise of the Footsoldier film @Follyfoot. Usual Fairbrass movie, but how on earth have they made a two-bob criminal into a near superhero in this franchise.

Had to Google this, absolutely never heard of it. From what I found online it sounds like the franchise never even got remotely close to gaining a foothold here. I am surprised I haven’t at least heard of it, given how much my wife & I are obsessed with British crime drama, albeit mostly TV, and taking into account my ⚽️ interest. 

On 11/05/2024 at 08:59, Follyfoot said:

Off to see the new Apes  film today. Really looking forward to it.

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bone Tomahawk - Great, Matthew Fox stole the film.

Poor Things - The first film I've watched with that Hulk bloke and not found him irritating. Also, pure filth.

Damsel - one of the worst films I have ever seen, a film generated by CHATGPT only more cliche and less interesting.

Triple Frontier - Ten times better than you think it's going to be.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Gets more stretched each one. Although this one got better reviews I did not enjoy it half as much as the others, prefer the one's based around the clubs with all the usual suspects

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Don't you call him that you no good ****

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Had to Google this, absolutely never heard of it. From what I found online it sounds like the franchise never even got remotely close to gaining a foothold here. I am surprised I haven’t at least heard of it, given how much my wife & I are obsessed with British crime drama, albeit mostly TV, and taking into account my ⚽️ interest. 

Based on the Rettendon Murders, when three small time Essex drug dealers were executed in a Range Rover down a farm track, in the mid 90s

For some reason its had about 10 films made about it (Rise of the Footsoldier, Essex Boys, etc) and has amassed an almost cult interest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Based on the Rettendon Murders, when three small time Essex drug dealers were executed in a Range Rover down a farm track, in the mid 90s

For some reason its had about 10 films made about it (Rise of the Footsoldier, Essex Boys, etc) and has amassed an almost cult interest. 

👍👍 I knew of the crime but knew nothing of the films 

Â