The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

21 hours ago, sne said:

Guess the Metro 2033 movie will never happen now.

Not that this is the big disaster with the war in Ukraine but still a shame.

We'll get the real life version instead.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2022 at 17:44, Chindie said:

The Batman is reviewing very well.

From the reviews I've seen 'very well' is a slight understatement. Some saying on a par with The Dark Knight, others saying it's not just the best Batman film best comic book film, period.

Seeing it Saturday afternoon so will give my verdict when it's finished Saturday evening (2hrs 54min long!)

• Like 1

3 hours for a film that is supposedly fairly unrelentingly bleak and dark. That's one heck of an ask. Will wait until I hear a few more reviews, but in that light I'm waiting until I can see it at home. 

The Duke - was looking forward to it, a comfy feel good story with Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren and it largely holds up. It's all about those two though, and there is a B storyline re their marriage that I wish was given a little more time to breathe as that was quite moving. The painting theft and campaigning elements hit the usual notes, though the climactic court-room scene is regrettably risible - cheese and a baffling instance of erupting into song. A reminder to me that there are so few court-room scenes in film or TV be it comedy or drama that are done well.  I mean more generous viewers will embrace that I suppose, but I find when films leans into the 'gentle jingoism' I want to vomit. 

Spoiler

Despite giving JB's character a soab-box to be amusing, which I can live with, it's the other bits that grate so badly, not least Anna Maxwell Clarke's character - who aside from that bursting into song gibberish, was also a total waste of an actor. I thought she was going to have a much more prominent role in the film, maybe it's all in the editing room?

Edited by Rodders

Seen it described as a bit too similar and not enough of a reboot from the Nolan films. 

No pearls falling in slow motion this time but we've seen it all quite a lot of times by now.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Watched ‘Her’ last night, seen it before but not for some time (recently added to Netflix).

I don’t know if I’m just particularly sensitive/emotional right now but I don’t think I appreciated quite how poignant a film it is and how superb Joaquin Phoenix is in it.

Superb film - and yeah, very emotional in parts :thumb:

Have seen the Batman described as Batman vs the zodiac killer, deep, detailed, dark and very well done, that's as much as I need to know upfront and based on that I'm definitely in. Going Monday all being well. 

Mate wants to go at about 9pm :crylaugh:😭

Watched Somebody up there likes me for the first time in a long time last night, what a great film, Newman at his very best. Hard to believe Jimmy Dean was cast  for the role but died before filming started 

• Like 2

not ashamed to admit that im a huge brad pitt fan and this looks gorgeous, directed by the guy who was director / producer on john wick, hobbs and shaw, nobody and deadpool 2 so expecting the action to be on point

Hiroyuki Sanada is a cherry on top

Kinda soured on Brad Pitt since he and his production company turned World War Z into a mindless CGI action blockbuster with absolutely nothing apart from the name in common with the book.

So many interesting things they could have done with the source material, but they choose to make a Brad Pitt movie about Brad Pitt doing Brad Pitt things, featuring zombies.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Watched Somebody up there likes me for the first time in a long time last night, what a great film, Newman at his very best. Hard to believe Jimmy Dean was cast  for the role but died before filming started 

Outstanding film, not seen for probably 30 years. If memory serves, there's a young Steve McQueen in it too and apparently (if memory serves again) he held a life long competitive grudge to be a bigger star and be too billed over Paul Newman someday. They eventually co starred in the towering inferno and there was quite a battle battle for top billing and who had the most lines etc. Finally agreeing on SM's name on the left with PN's name slightly higher on the right. Although he doesn't appear until around half way through the film SM still demanded an equal number of speaking lines.

Sounds like he was a dik but I loved him and Newman.

Edited by Phil Silvers

57 minutes ago, sne said:

Kinda soured on Brad Pitt since he and his production company turned World War Z into a mindless CGI action blockbuster with absolutely nothing apart from the name in common with the book.

So many interesting things they could have done with the source material, but they choose to make a Brad Pitt movie about Brad Pitt doing Brad Pitt things, featuring zombies.

I didn't mind it if I'm honest because I think the book kind of leans on tales from around the world all occurring at the same time, they could have picked one of those tales and made a better film, they could have tried to pick all of them... But they didn't they just Brad Pitted it

I actually liked the world that they created though and think the Pitt story could exist within the tales it just doesn't 

The biggest miss from the film are the global politics, its hinted at and some one liners are thrown out but it doesn't capture it properly 

Also think it needed the swarm to capture the imagination of the viewers and that worked an absolute treat

It needed a TV show really but its too crowded 

And its nowhere near how they butchered I am legend, I think world war z at least understood some of the concepts from the book, I am legend is a joke of an ending 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I didn't mind it if I'm honest because I think the book kind of leans on tales from around the world all occurring at the same time, they could have picked one of those tales and made a better film, they could have tried to pick all of them... But they didn't they just Brad Pitted it

I actually liked the world that they created though and think the Pitt story could exist within the tales it just doesn't 

The biggest miss from the film are the global politics, its hinted at and some one liners are thrown out but it doesn't capture it properly 

Also think it needed the swarm to capture the imagination of the viewers and that worked an absolute treat

It needed a TV show really but its too crowded 

And its nowhere near how they butchered I am legend, I think world war z at least understood some of the concepts from the book, I am legend is a joke of an ending 

Honestly I kinda hated it. Felt like a movie Tom Cruise would have made.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly I kinda hated it. Felt like a movie Tom Cruise would have made.

Haha I like the cruise Reacher films too... 

Started the TV show, the bar fight scene from the 1st film doesnt work with 6ft 10 carved from granite Reacher, some punk kids aren't starting on him in a bar, I liked how unassuming cruise looked, the bit where they read his military record and they're all like "who that guy?" again that doesn't work with TV Reacher because he looks like captain americas bigger brother 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Haha I like the cruise Reacher films too... 

Started the TV show, the bar fight scene from the 1st film doesnt work with 6ft 10 carved from granite Reacher, some punk kids aren't starting on him in a bar, I liked how unassuming cruise looked, the bit where they read his military record and they're all like "who that guy?" again that doesn't work with TV Reacher because he looks like captain americas bigger brother 

Don't get me started on Tom Cruise :D 

I just a film called after.life. i cant believe ive never heard of this film before. I thought i had seen every liam Neeson film. Its also got christina ricci (you see her boobies too) ans justin long.

A very interesting film that makes you think and wonder with a good little twist at the end. Definitely recomend it.

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Outstanding film, not seen for probably 30 years. If memory serves, there's a young Steve McQueen in it too and apparently (if memory serves again) he held a life long competitive grudge to be a bigger star and be too billed over Paul Newman someday. They eventually co starred in the towering inferno and there was quite a battle battle for top billing and who had the most lines etc. Finally agreeing on SM's name on the left with PN's name slightly higher on the right. Although he doesn't appear until around half way through the film SM still demanded an equal number of speaking lines.

Sounds like he was a dik but I loved him and Newman.

He was, very very good memory

• Like 1

Â