The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 19/03/2021 at 08:21, Rds1983 said:

Coincidentally this came out a few days ago

I'd argue it's better than the actual film. 

Hoping for a Snyder Cut tomorrow night.

On 18/03/2021 at 13:03, Phil Silvers said:

anyone seen Snyder cut yet?

worth DL big file to view?

cheers all.

In a nutshell it’s better than the original, however that is not saying a lot. Far too long and still crap in my opinion. Avoid

I really really wanted to like it as well

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:49, Rodders said:

Enjoyed the Dig last night, although never has a sub-plot been more pointlessly tacked on. I can't imagine anyone gives a shit about

Reveal hidden contents

the lily james johnny flynn element as much as I like both as screen presences. It was just so bizarre how clearly detached that storyline seemed to be from the main bit.

Apparently it was in the historical novel the film was taken from, but it feels so artificially added on. 

Totally agree. That sub-plot was basically: 

"Oh, bother, my husband appears to be gay. How tiresome, whatever will I do? But wait, what's this? Ooh, a sexy fighter pilot! Splendid!"

In a very different style, watched "Land of Mine" (Under Sandet) on BBC4 last night. Fantastic film, and a bit of history I was unaware of - the use of teenage German POWs for landmine clearance in Denmark after WWII. Worth watching. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Right, I'm just about to watch The Snyder Cut so I'll pop back on on Tuesday when its finished to let you know my thoughts...

😏

It will feel like Thursday when it does finish

Well, it took me 2 sittings spread out over 2 days to finish it but that's Zack Snyder's Justice League epos done.

1 word review would be: Tedious.

A bit longer (fitting really) would be that for me who's not read the comics it was pretty much a worse version of the last 2 Avengers movies story wise sprinkled in with tons of slow-mo. So much slow-mo. Cosmic bad guy and henchmen want's to destroy the universe and needs to find magic thingamajigs and put them together to create even more powerful thingamajig and in this endless universe those things are of course on earth.

Wasn't a car crash like the original but if I watch these kinda movies I want them to be entertaining, and this wasn't. And it's of course way too long.

Spoiler

The set up in the prologue for a sequel was more interesting than the movie.

Also, Mother boxes sounds like a The Lonely Island song. 

Edited by sne

Waaaay too long (I did it in 3 sittings, partly due to having to do other stuff) but I quite enjoyed the Snyder Cut. Nowhere near the levels of Marvel but was interesting and some of the battles were good fun.

Finished snyder cut too, poor script still. Added scenes and some jiggling about resulted in a movie at about snyder standards, an average movie maker imo.

They need to build it around Gal Gadot and go for a major recast and give it to a top top director. 

I found the flash character/actor very annoying in particular. 

6.5/10

Ps... Henry Cavil is good too, this is a good superman.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Promising Young Woman was pretty decent, especially considering recent events and the vulnerability of women in public places.

Basically centres around a young woman who is struggling with an event in her college years so sets out testing men by acting overly drunk in bars to see who would take advantage.

Darkly humoured in places and some decent cameos.

Spoiler

The ending was a little contrived and a little too much martyrdom. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Promising Young Woman was pretty decent, especially considering recent events and the vulnerability of women in public places.

Basically centres around a young woman who is struggling with an event in her college years so sets out testing men by acting overly drunk in bars to see who would take advantage.

Darkly humoured in places and some decent cameos.

Hide contents

The ending was a little contrived and a little too much martyrdom. 

Seen last month, definitely worth a watch. Quite a good performance from Carey Mulligan too.

7.5/10

• Like 1

Finished The Snyder Cut. 

Agree with pretty much all the reviews.

+ Way better than the original mess released at the cinema.

+  Better background building of the key characters.

+ Improved Steppenwolf.

+ Kept me entertained for the majority of the runtime.

+ Letos Joker looked much better.

- Overly long.

-  Script was sketchy at best.

- Weightless action sequences.

- A disintered performance from Affleck.

- Story is still too messy.

- Not enough Willem Dafoe.

So yeah, it was fine. 

Out of interest, have there been any other films where it’s been released, the dust has settled and a few years later it’s re- released, essentially acting as it’s own reboot/remake? 

I know about the various blade runner cuts, I’ve read about “Heaven’s Gate” being cut down a couple of times and released in relatively quick succession.

But has any film had this re introduction to the cinema going public before (even if they can’t technically go to the cinemas)? Almost like a fully backed second chance, treating it as if the previous film doesn’t count?

That’s to everyone who may know, although I suspect both @Chindie and @Designer1 will be able to rattle off a few names between them.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Out of interest, have there been any other films where it’s been released, the dust has settled and a few years later it’s re- released, essentially acting as it’s own reboot/remake? 

I know about the various blade runner cuts, I’ve read about “Heaven’s Gate” being cut down a couple of times and released in relatively quick succession.

But has any film had this re introduction to the cinema going public before (even if they can’t technically go to the cinemas)? Almost like a fully backed second chance, treating it as if the previous film doesn’t count?

That’s to everyone who may know, although I suspect both @Chindie and @Designer1 will be able to rattle off a few names between them.

A few spring to mind, although the circumstances of The Snyder Cut do mean its kind of unique.

Cameron Crows Bootleg Cut of Almost Famous.

Orson Welles Touch of Evil was completely re-edited after iirc some notes were found about his original vision for the film.

Richard Donners Superman 2 cut.

F.F.Coppolas The Cotton Club.

Finchers Alien 3.

There's probably loads more tbh.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Different circumstances but I recommend the Japanese uncut edition of kill bill, that was down to censorship I think 

Kingdom of heaven directors cut came out at cinemas 6 months later and makes that film watchable 

I'm sure there's a few cuts of watchmen 

• Like 1

I can't think of a true second cut re-release like this.

There's been things like the Alien directors cut which got a release for the 30th anniversary, but that was obviously a different thing to what this is. And there's famously 'other' cuts of various films out there - the Donner cut of Superman 2, the Fincher cut of Alien 3 (whatever that is/was). Etc.

But then there's not really many (any?) cases like this where one director made 90% of a film, and then another director finished it, producing their own take on the thing, and then the original director has come back to release their version.

It's a unique situation on that front but also in some other ways. The 2 directors have very different styles, tones, sensibilities - it was clear there was really 2 different takes out there. And it was also clear that the theatrical cut was a fudge, a compromised vision. And it was received pretty universally badly (I don't hate it but I know it's not by any means good). 

The Snyder Cut is a completely unique thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm sure there's a few cuts of watchmen 

Theatrical, Directors Cut, Ultimate.

The Directors Cut is by far the way to watch that film. Adds in a lot of additional scenes which being a lot to the table.

The Ultimate Cut is the Directors Cut with the Black Freighter animated bits spliced in (like the comic). It's not bad but on the page those strange interludes at the end of each issue don't break the pacing like they do in a film.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Metropolis may be the closest comparison, although the circumstances are very different. The original version was over 2 and a half hours, which was lost. Over the (many) years there have lots of versions which have been remastered, as various bits of film have been found knocking about. Even now there's still a few minutes of the actual original version missing so it may yet, at some point, have a final, definitive, release. 

On a similar note, although unrelated to your question, is the fact that the BFI keep a list of their 75 most wanted missing British films, which is an interesting piece to read up on. It's not 75 anymore as a few have been found since the list was put together. One of Hitchcock's first movies is on it, as no copy is currently known to exist. 

The topic of unsuccessful projects is a good one, the original vision for Alien 3 is pretty fascinating, but the best and most famous example is probably Jodorowsky's Dune. There's a documentary about it, of the same name, which is great. 

• Like 1

Â