The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched Palm Springs - a groundhog day type continuous time loop film starring Andy Samberg. 

Absolutely brilliant - very funny and.Samberg was excellent even with a more muted character to play. 

Very different to the Bill Murray film but just as good. Well.worth a watch

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, hogso said:

Metropolis may be the closest comparison, although the circumstances are very different. The original version was over 2 and a half hours, which was lost. Over the (many) years there have lots of versions which have been remastered, as various bits of film have been found knocking about. Even now there's still a few minutes of the actual original version missing so it may yet, at some point, have a final, definitive, release. 

On a similar note, although unrelated to your question, is the fact that the BFI keep a list of their 75 most wanted missing British films, which is an interesting piece to read up on. It's not 75 anymore as a few have been found since the list was put together. One of Hitchcock's first movies is on it, as no copy is currently known to exist. 

The topic of unsuccessful projects is a good one, the original vision for Alien 3 is pretty fascinating, but the best and most famous example is probably Jodorowsky's Dune. There's a documentary about it, of the same name, which is great. 

Yes I’ve watched Metropolis and subsequently the title cards that pop up during the film basically saying “this scene is missing but here’s what happens”. I’ve not seen it, but I think I heard that Tarantino did it deliberately in a version of Death Proof, just have a missing scene but no explanation as to what happened in between. I quite like that idea as a novelty.

Just had a look at that BFI list, it’s interesting, some relatively recent stuff in there too. 

The subject of film projects that didn’t happen is another that I find strangely fascinating too. I know the Kubrick Napoleon film that never was (with Jack Nicholson in the title role), I have the impression that’s one of the more famous examples. Tim Burton’s superman film with Nick Cage is another that I’m sure would have been considered a classic of some description.

Returning to the topic of recut films, watching the RLM review of the Snyder Cut has reminded me of perhaps the best comparison to it. 

Exorcist: the Beginning, and Dominion: the Prequel to the Exorcist. Dominion was nearly finished when the studio decided it was a flop in the making so hired anther director to finish it, who ended up basically remaking the entire film (same plot, same cast, but changing the style and tone significantly) which was then released as Exorcist the Beginning. Which was received so badly the studio went back to the original director and gave him a tiny sum of money to finish the original version, which then got released to marginally better reviews.

It's very similar to Justice League, albeit with far smaller budgets, lest we forget that Warner Bros spent $25m for Whedon's reshoots, including a big lump of cash to digitally remove Superman's moustache, and then they spent another $70m to finish off the Snyder Cut...

• Like 1

Looking forward to going to the movie theatre this weekend for the first time in over a year and will be seeing 'Nobody' with Bob Odenkirk. Loved the trailer and it has gotten some good reviews. Along that same vein, last night I watched Long Shot with him, Seth Rogen ,and others; really enjoyed it.

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Looking forward to going to the movie theatre this weekend for the first time in over a year and will be seeing 'Nobody' with Bob Odenkirk. Loved the trailer and it has gotten some good reviews. Along that same vein, last night I watched Long Shot with him, Seth Rogen ,and others; really enjoyed it.

Long Shot was surprisingly good! 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 17:04, Nicho said:

Batman v superman terrible

justice league terrible 

Snyder cut terrible

What I noticed the most was how terrible the music is and how it’s used for each character.

Its a choppy unplanned mess, still.

The villains are rubbish and the good guys know things about them they shouldn’t.

The lighting really annoyed me in both films, as if going for a darker theme but just made it look stupid

I watched it over two days. Really enjoyed it. It was a hr too long for me though but i loved certain parts like the bit where they were standing on the bridge that was excellently done. Also the joker part was great. Lets talk about that for a second

Spoiler

So the dream i believe is a real life vision that would have happened if there was a JL2. Somehow darkseid gained control of superman and made him evil.hence that vision.

I was reading that synder was actually contemplating having louis lane having affair with bruce wayne (but it was totally dismissed and rightly so that wouldhave been ridiculously stupid)

The vision would have been a great plot for JL2 and you could have had the league expansion with Hawkgirl, MM and green lantern joining the party 

On 23/03/2021 at 10:20, Zatman said:

The lighting really annoyed me in both films, as if going for a darker theme but just made it look stupid

Maybe this is for you then :D 

HBO Max releases Zack Snyder’s black-and-white Justice League: Justice Is Gray

superman gets hit by steppenwolf’s axe in justice league: justice is gray

It really is just the same movie, but in black and white...

https://www.polygon.com/movies/22350009/justice-league-justice-is-gray-black-and-white-version-hbo-max

On 22/03/2021 at 19:22, Chindie said:

Returning to the topic of recut films, watching the RLM review of the Snyder Cut has reminded me of perhaps the best comparison to it. 

Exorcist: the Beginning, and Dominion: the Prequel to the Exorcist. Dominion was nearly finished when the studio decided it was a flop in the making so hired anther director to finish it, who ended up basically remaking the entire film (same plot, same cast, but changing the style and tone significantly) which was then released as Exorcist the Beginning. Which was received so badly the studio went back to the original director and gave him a tiny sum of money to finish the original version, which then got released to marginally better reviews.

It's very similar to Justice League, albeit with far smaller budgets, lest we forget that Warner Bros spent $25m for Whedon's reshoots, including a big lump of cash to digitally remove Superman's moustache, and then they spent another $70m to finish off the Snyder Cut...

I've not watched either version but am keen to at some point.  Recently had a re-watch of Exorcist III and still love it to bits, even with the studio-enforced exorcism ending (I actually think it was perfectly fine within the context of the story, though perhaps it did need a bit more meat to the Father Morning character beyond just "here's another priest, he's here to sort it out").  Along a similar vein as the prequels, I think there's surviving parts of the original cut of III kicking about that stick closer to the Legion novel, but not enough for a full version.

57 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I've not watched either version but am keen to at some point.  Recently had a re-watch of Exorcist III and still love it to bits, even with the studio-enforced exorcism ending (I actually think it was perfectly fine within the context of the story, though perhaps it did need a bit more meat to the Father Morning character beyond just "here's another priest, he's here to sort it out").  Along a similar vein as the prequels, I think there's surviving parts of the original cut of III kicking about that stick closer to the Legion novel, but not enough for a full version.

I have the most recent Blu ray release of Exorcist 3. That includes the 'original' version without the tacked on exorcism ending and the use of Karras's face on the Gemini Killler. Also has more scenes with Kinderman (how good was George C. Scott in that role?)

I prefer it tbh.

Edited by Designer1
Grammmmmmaarrrr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I have the most recent Blu ray release of Exorcist 3. That includes the 'original' version without the tacked on exorcism ending and the use of Karras's face on the Gemini Killler. Also has more scenes with Kinderman (how good was George C. Scott in that role?)

I prefer it tbh.

Scott's terrific.  Gun to my head, it's probably my favourite Dourif performance as well.  "Gracious me, was I raving?"  Absolute top-tier.

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Gun to my head, it's probably my favourite Dourif performance as well.  "Gracious me, was I raving?"  Absolute top-tier.

I recently watched his episode in my on going X Giles rewatch. Obscenly good performance. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Dragged Across Concrete, on Prime. Same fella who did Brawl on cell block 99. Definitely worth a watch.

Loved the way in Brawl he beat that car up at the start 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Â