The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I started watching Arrival twice, and on both occasions I was deeply involved in arguments On Here by the 30-minute mark or so and not paying any attention. Can't be bothered to try again to be honest.

I recommend to try again but with your undivided attention this time. 

Contact (1997) is better though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I recommend to try again but with your undivided attention this time. 

Contact (1997) is better though.

Under rated film, seen a few times, good cast, performances and story.

Particularly enjoyed John Hurt in this, marvelous. 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Arrival is 95% of a great movie, then shits the bed at the end.

You still won't admit you don't understand it 😂😉

Edited by darrenm
forgot a word
  • Like 1

The Snyder Cut got leaked.

It leaked in the most half arsed way imaginable. They accidentally encoded it to the recent release of Tom & Jerry on the HBO Max service, which meant a bunch of people trying to watch that got Justice League instead.

Also some of the CGI on it is absolutely appalling it appears.

It took me about 3 minutes in to watching coming to America 2 to ask why the **** am I doing this... 

Terrible and pointless

During the pitch meeting when Murphy says "let's make them purposefully annoying" and someone else says "Eddie we've already got 6 characters like that..." 

Just watched Cherry the new Russo brothers film with Tom Holland and it was pretty good but not amazing. It felt like it was missing something from it but it was a decent 6.5/10 imo 

• Thanks 1

Best of enemies - true story about a civil rights activist and a klan wizard in the 70s, it's OK, lacked any real punch, despite the actors it doesn't real get that dramatic, there's a lot of films with a better story to tell and just generally done better

Trainspotting 2 - I thought it lacked the shock and the grime of the first one and the style isn't as fresh, even the soundtrack doesn't feel as on point, it doesn't feel like a pointless remake but at the same time it never gets near the heights of the first film... That said the characters, script and actors are still brilliant making it very watchable 

Come True (2020) - IMDb

This one was pretty decent. Listed as a horror/sci-fi but I'm not sure it's either of that. It's a slow burn, eerie blue tinted affair that benefits from watching in the dark with surround sound as it relies on atmosphere rather than jump scares. 

Not sure it sticks the landing but the lead actress Julia Sarah Stone is really good. Solid 6.5-7/10 Indie flick.

• Thanks 1

After all the amazing unneccesary hype, nearly 4 years in the making. A lot of the reviewers are saying snyder Justice league is a little bit better than the previous version

Money well spent 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

After all the amazing unneccesary hype, nearly 4 years in the making. A lot of the reviewers are saying snyder Justice league is a little bit better than the previous version

Money well spent 😂

Rated R now because some of the characters say F**k a couple times :D 

It'll be better than Whedon's attempt. But the film is a fundamentally a bit shit, so there's no amount of fan service padding it out that'll fix it.

Also releasing it in 4:3 is a **** dumb idea. Snyder claims it's better for his vision of the film, but it inherently looks a bit crap.

Otherwise, it's going to chuck Darkseid in, they've redesigned Steppenwolf (which regardless of what you think of the redesign, is an upside) and put, it's seemingly going to extend the Knightmare sequence from BvS including Leto's Joker (...ugh), extend the ancient war against Apokolips' forces scene, and give us black suit Superman... But it's still about Steppenwolf getting the mother boxes and the Justice League stopping him. There's only so much you can do to salvage it.

• Like 1

Watched the Mauritanian

Its good, the 2 leads are excellent and him in particular I think is good enough to be in with a chance of awards, cumberbatch is OK but doesn't do a great deal in it 

I liked the way they set it up, theres a great deal that works... The problem is it works to a crescendo, it goes for a huge gut punch but you don't need to know this story to know how this story is going, the drama isn't that dramatic and the legal side of it isn't that deep so it's left to the shock that doesn't pay off because you can imagine it already, might work better with yank audiences who are being shown how (I think) the rest of the world already perceived them to be

Like I said good, worth watching but it's an 8/10 not a must see shoe in for best film contender

• Like 1

Â