The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Judas and the black messiah

Story of the black panthers Fred Hampton and an FBI informant who infiltrates his inner circle

Its brilliant, Hampton is probably the most interesting of the panthers IMO so this film is right up my street, they smash it out of the park, the acting is top notch (not a clue how kaluuya is up for best supporting actor and not just actor) I would say that the setting and style is better than Chicago 7, the story and pacing is spot on

Would say my favourite thing about it is its not afraid to put its cock on the block, both with the ending which has been proven and especially with hoover, for example that God awful Di caprio film which is a boring 3 hours of it hinting at things but never actually saying anything, this film says it with confidence, doesn't shy away from what it wants to say which for me personally is a key thing in a historical film 

Will try and watch nomadland over the weekend

Raya and the last dragon 

Typical Disney / pixar effort, its good, of course it is, the world they created works, looks great, I found the voice actor for the dragon slightly annoying but that's about the only fault I can give it

I would say better than onwards, maybe better than soul but they're different films and I preferred the action of this one, probably the best animated film I've seen since moana

21 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

anyone seen Snyder cut yet?

worth DL big file to view?

cheers all.

I haven’t watched it yet, but am planning to over the weekend. 

I’d just go for it and make your own mind up. 

User reviews are hugely positive, critics are mixed. Most seem to say it’s better than the original at least. 

Lot’s of people had already made their mind up, before it was released anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Gamespot said they've managed to make it even more boring 😂

That's what I'm expecting, if you liked the original cut then you'll think this is alright but if you though the original was shit then there's nothing he can do to save it

Said before I don't even like the cinematography and soundtrack, giving the villain better cgi and a back story won't change that 

Watched it today. Didnt like the orignal film this was so much better. Some ropey moments but overall pretty decent and very watchable. So much more to the characters especially the villians.

Didnt feel to dragged out to me.

Would love to see a sequeal now based on the ideas in this.

Just watching LeMans 66 for the second time.  Just noticed in addition to his son wearing a Villa Top in the 66 LeMans scenes, there is also a Villa Scarf hanging up in the pit lane. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sne said:

4 hours long, mostly due to every scene being in slow motion :D 

This made me laugh, but there's a lot of truth to it I'm sure. I resolved never to watch a Snyder film after 300, but I did see that, and that would have been over in about 25 minutes if things happened at normal speed.

• Like 1

Finished the Snyder Cut.

It's a better film than Whedon's attempt. Surprisingly better. It's still a mess, but it's a better mess.

Fundamentally, we have the same story. Wayne assembles the Justice League to save Earth from an intergalactic threat trying to get 3 macguffins. It follows the same structure - the same action sequences play out, though the details change. 

The big differences are there's a shit load of extra set up and character development moments, and they basically reinvent Steppenwolf. In this film he's actually got some character, he's a somewhat credible threat, and he looks markedly less shit. Even just adding some modulation to his voice helps.

There's an extended Amazonian sequence. There's a handful of new and extended scenes of Aquaman and the Atlantians. Barry Allen gets an intro sequence. The ancient war gets extended a bit and Darkseid added. Darkseid and others get some screen time (particularly around Steppenwolf's motivations).  And probably most notably Cyborg's arc is blown out massively - it's not a surprise on Thurs showing that Ray Fisher was pissed at the original release, Whedon basically binned most of his performance. I'm no fan of the character but they actually do some nice stuff here with him (bar a very clunky scene where they try to emphasise his powers by literally just telling you what he's capable of and what that means). It's to the film's benefit. We also get some small scenes added in, one of which is pure fan service that will baffle most of the audience, and mild tinkering with scenes (not always to the better - Whedon resolved the resurrection better) and then an epilogue. This is perhaps the biggest falling off the additions. The epilogue has 2 components, 1 a tweak to what we got before and 1 a extended Knightmare sequence. Which is appalling. It's awful. It's really, really awful. 

The film is still a mess. You can tell this is basically an assembly cut. They've chopped it into 6 chapters which basically work out as about half an act each, but it still feels like it's not been edited properly, and also it feels like there's occasionally a scene missing. They seem to have taken everything they had, filmed and finished off a few bits, and got the footage into a coherent just polished enough cut. It's probably best summed up by a new scene where Steppenwolf suddenly has another motivation that, unless I missed it, just kinda happens? He has a revelation that occurs out of nowhere. It's very odd. And there's the continuity problem with Aquaman where originally the Atlantians created air bubbles to talk underwater, but in the solo film they, smartly, ditch that. 

It also suffers a little, particularly early on, from Snyder's 'teenage boy cool' sensibility. He puts in some gore. A guy is thrown against a wall and there's blood dripping down it after, for instance. But it sits really oddly with the tone in some ways. In the early Wonder Woman scene where she stops a terror attack (which was always a bizarre tonal mess) it's now exacerbated as the room of kids first get to see Wonder Woman splat a guy against a wall but then has her comfort a little girl afterwards with the 'inspirational hero' schtick. Literally in the space of a minute Wonder Woman splats some guys head into a bloody mess on a wall, prevents a room of kids being executed with an assault rifle by blocking the bullets, then tells a little girl 'you can be whatever you want to be'. Bizarre.

There's also some rough CGI. There's a few sections where you can pretty much spot the moment the effects team either ran out of cash or went 'that'll do'. They've put the time in on the big things (Steppenwolf) but then you'll see things like some scenes featuring Cyborg moving quickly or only seen briefly you can tell they did the minimum they could get away with.

But... It's a better film. I'd go so far as to say it's alright. You have to accept it's a Snyder film. He has his style. It's grim, desaturated, it's very self important, there's not a lot of light hearted moments (though more than usual here)... It's silly but rejects the notion it's silly. And there will be slo-mo. Lots of slo-mo. But accept that, accept it's very 'surface' focused, accept it's a dumb film, and it's not bad.

If anything this release reveals that the foundation of this film was always a mess. Even if you chop back the Snyder slo mo and excess and set up for future films, there's a load of stuff here you need to crack through and it was never going to be a clean ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This made me laugh, but there's a lot of truth to it I'm sure. I resolved never to watch a Snyder film after 300, but I did see that, and that would have been over in about 25 minutes if things happened at normal speed.

Coincidentally this came out a few days ago

I'd argue it's better than the actual film. 

• Like 1

Batman v superman terrible

justice league terrible 

Snyder cut terrible

What I noticed the most was how terrible the music is and how it’s used for each character.

Its a choppy unplanned mess, still.

The villains are rubbish and the good guys know things about them they shouldn’t.

Watched some comfort films recently. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Paddington 2. I have a list of about 40 films I could put on whatever my mood and they're two of the best 

• Like 2

Â