The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The King of Staten Island recently, semi-autobiographical story of Pete Davidson’s earlier life (not that he’s old anyway).

I really enjoyed it and thought i wouldn’t, it’s very poignant in parts and well acted / scripted throughout.

Definitely  recommend.

• Like 4

On 26/02/2021 at 09:16, Bizzzle said:

Glad I listened to the reviews on here and not IMDB for I care a lot! Good film 8/10

It really is so annoying what's become of IMDB, so many influencers/bots leaving reviews to manipulate the ratings.

It used to be like an encyclopedia, with message boards and a solid way of finding all you need to know about anything film/tv.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It really is so annoying what's become of IMDB, so many influencers/bots leaving reviews to manipulate the ratings.

It used to be like an encyclopedia, with message boards and a solid way of finding all you need to know about anything film/tv.

Yup and the whole thing with people either giving 1's or 10's when they dislike or like something. Black or white, nothing in the middle.

Protagonist having a costume or hair color in slightly the wrong color compared to in the comic 1/10, hate it.

It's not fantastic but not as bad as people are saying, give it a chance 10/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yup and the whole thing with people either giving 1's or 10's when they dislike or like something. Black or white, nothing in the middle.

Protagonist having a costume or hair color in slightly the wrong color compared to in the comic 1/10, hate it.

It's not fantastic but not as bad as people are saying, give it a chance 10/10

In all fairness I rate every Nicolas Cage film an 8 out of 10 minimum before even seeing it. The only thing I’ve got wrong so far is that the eight often is not enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

In all fairness I rate every Nicolas Cage film an 8 out of 10 minimum before even seeing it. The only thing I’ve got wrong so far is that the eight often is not enough

But as a true connaisseur you are making an educated guess. 

• Like 1

Watched the new 'Tom and Jerry' movie with my youngest nephew last night.  He absolutely loved it, but I thought it was not that good at all. And he still did not get that **** Jerry

Just now, Big Salad said:

Watched the new 'Tom and Jerry' movie with my youngest nephew last night.  He absolutely loved it, but I thought it was not that good at all. And he still did not get that **** Jerry

Like the pigeon, never to be caught

• Like 1

Escape from Pretoria on Prime. Given the context of the story it felt like it should have been more than it was. Without the back story (which was not given any depth) it would have been a half-decent thriller but it left me somewhat disappointed. 

On 31/01/2021 at 19:16, It's Your Round said:

Anyone watched White Tiger on Netflix? Watched it last night, really enjoyed it. Couldn’t decide whether the main character was someone I wanted to succeed, or just a clearing in the woods. 

I watched this last night. Like you, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what you're 'meant to' feel, but I felt all of the characters were deeply flawed, including the protagonist, though perhaps he was less flawed than the others. I liked that the relationships were quite ambiguous, including the slightly odd homo tension between master and servant. Only complaint was it felt a bit rushed in places, it was the odd film where it might have been better if it was actually 20 minutes longer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I watched this last night. Like you, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what you're 'meant to' feel, but I felt all of the characters were deeply flawed, including the protagonist, though perhaps he was less flawed than the others. I liked that the relationships were quite ambiguous, including the slightly odd homo tension between master and servant. Only complaint was it felt a bit rushed in places, it was the odd film where it might have been better if it was actually 20 minutes longer.

Coincidentally, I also watched it last night. Similar reaction. I thought the ending was a bit of an anticlimax, too. Felt like it had the makings of a really good movie, but somehow fell short. Interesting insight into modern India, though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think a movie has had more undeserved hype than the Snyder cut of the Justice League. I bet its as crap as the original

I suspect it'll be a better film than the original release - but that's a long way from being good.

The original cut isn't awful, but you can tell it's cobbled together and has an absolutely bizarre tone as a result. The Snyder Cut should rectify that, but fundamentally the plot is there so theres only so much you can do with it - none of which is to make it good. Snyder will ditch the Whedonisms, desaturate it, put on more 'epic' visuals, and go grim dark at every opportunity. Which will probably be more successful than the original film.

But, fundamentally, the film is going to be about Batman bringing the Justice League together to stop Steppenwolf gaining the mother boxes and turning Earth into a wasteland for his master. There's only so much you can do with that, with a few reshoots, tone changes and revamped visuals, and all the black suit Supermans and Darkseids aren't fixing that.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think a movie has had more undeserved hype than the Snyder cut of the Justice League. I bet its as crap as the original

I saw a tweet the other day saying that film is going to be 4 hours and 1 minute long, which blew my mind. 4 whole hours of men in capes fighting each other and exploding stuff amidst a CGI murk. Anyway, I guess hundreds of millions of people love it, so they're going to get their money's worth.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw a tweet the other day saying that film is going to be 4 hours and 1 minute long, which blew my mind. 4 whole hours of men in capes fighting each other and exploding stuff amidst a CGI murk. Anyway, I guess hundreds of millions of people love it, so they're going to get their money's worth.

Just had a look and yes, the four hour run time appears to be reported consistently. The original cut was two hours long. 

As for people loving it, it regularly comes across to me with these films that people suspect beforehand that they won’t like it, pay to watch it, then confirm that in fact their suspicions were correct and they don’t like it. This film might get a bit more love with some convincing themselves that it’s closer to the original vision or some such reasoning. But I imagine it will be dreadful.

I’ll wait until it’s shown on ITV before watching it, with the adverts I should get through it in a weekend, provided it’s a bank holiday weekend.

Â