The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Venom this afternoon.

Not as bad as feared. It's not good, but it's enjoyable enough. You can tell it was done on a shoestring budget for what it is - it's quite small scale, there's maybe 10 characters in it total, and some of the CGI is rough. Hardy carries the whole thing, I quite like his take on Eddie Brock all told, and he's clearly having a fun basically playing an every man who underneath is a loser, who happens to get infected by an alien that takes over his body. You could replace the entirety of the test of the cast with anyone and the film would still work, but i don't think the film is as successful if Hardy isn't involved - it's him that sells the movie and it's why it's done surprisingly well at the box office.

The plot is an excuse to hang a few action scenes off, which are well done but surprisingly small scale, the biggest scope one being a chase scene that is tarted up with some effects to emphasise the powers Venom has. The plot also dives headlong into how stupid the symbiote mythos gets, which I can appreciate, although it introduces an idea about how the symbiotes work that then had next to no bearing on the plot to a laughable degree.

All in all, not good, not bad, but fun. Better than it should have been.

Upgrade: Nice sci-fi movie with all of the deepest fears of Mr. Man tackled vis-a-vis AI etc.

Spoiler

and the bad "guy" wins :cheers:

Sicario II: Well worth a watch, buts seems much more like a TV show made into a movie than a standalone. Not a patch on the first one.

Peppermint: If you liked John Wick, you'll love this. Opening scene contains the first discharge of a round into a poor henchman-types face, from point blank range for style points.

Spoiler

and there'll probably be a sequel, really hope they do a better job than the Wick II folks.

Watched Black Panther tonight.

Completely independent of the politics of it, I thought it was fantastic. It was everything a comic book film should be: fun, brash, bold, ambitious and more than a bit bonkers. I thought Michael B. Jordan was particularly excellent. 

Being picky, my main criticism would be:

Spoiler

How quickly the supposed utopia of Wakanda descended into full-on civil war and the different tribes started killing each other

As someone who used to try and avoid comic book movies, this is third Marvel film in row that I’ve really enjoyed, after Thor 3 and the latest Avengers. 

Great fun and highly recommended. 

• Like 3

last film of the year was catching Bumblebee. Hitherto, I've had zero interest in transformer films, was never into them as a kid so had zero preconceptions of what to expect going in. Only saw it as there were suggestions it wasn't shite, and it turns out that's true. A very pleasant surprise. It's cheesy and imperfect, but fundamentally it was charming, with bits of coming-of-age and friendship stories, and you can see the Spielberg producing influence on the 'young human befriends alien visitor' trope. Has it's flaws, involving ludicrous military representations, and some (very) corny dialogue at times, but they are largely easy to forgive, as the story moves forward fairly swiftly and the young lass is an engaging lead. John Cena predictably delivers some utterly stupid bits of dialogue at the end, but its entertaining overall. A solid family film.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

last film of the year was catching Bumblebee. Hitherto, I've had zero interest in transformer films, was never into them as a kid so had zero preconceptions of what to expect going in. Only saw it as there were suggestions it wasn't shite, and it turns out that's true. A very pleasant surprise. It's cheesy and imperfect, but fundamentally it was charming, with bits of coming-of-age and friendship stories, and you can see the Spielberg producing influence on the 'young human befriends alien visitor' trope. Has it's flaws, involving ludicrous military representations, and some (very) corny dialogue at times, but they are largely easy to forgive, as the story moves forward fairly swiftly and the young lass is an engaging lead. John Cena predictably delivers some utterly stupid bits of dialogue at the end, but its entertaining overall. A solid family film.

Massive blockbuster scales down action/characters/story and gets better shocker.

Its why a lot of the marvel films are better than they should be, knowing when to tone the whole thing down is half the battle with films like this.

• Like 3

watched birdbox, i enjoyed it while it was on but the more i think about it the more i think about its flaws and how its not what it could have been, i dont think its particularly suspenseful, cant remember much of the score or if that worked but usually i would point the finger there, at the same time there arent really that many jumpy moments either, it lacked the creepiness that it needed, add to that i think there are 2 moments towards the end of the film that really dont hit the mark 

Spoiler

picking a child to look through the rapids

it being a blind school - my missus guessed that straight away

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

watched birdbox, i enjoyed it while it was on but the more i think about it the more i think about its flaws and how its not what it could have been, i dont think its particularly suspenseful, cant remember much of the score or if that worked but usually i would point the finger there, at the same time there arent really that many jumpy moments either, it lacked the creepiness that it needed, add to that i think there are 2 moments towards the end of the film that really dont hit the mark 

Hide contents

picking a child to look through the rapids

it being a blind school - my missus guessed that straight away

I still don't really get the big deal with

Spoiler

it being a blind school

People are talking like it's a massive twist. It just got a shrug of the shoulders from me.

For me it was the amount of stuff they were able to do blind. The

Spoiler

driving the car to the supermarket

was **** absurd.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still don't really get the big deal with

Reveal hidden contents

it being a blind school

People are talking like it's a massive twist. It just got a shrug of the shoulders from me.

For me it was the amount of stuff they were able to do blind. The

Reveal hidden contents

driving the car to the supermarket

was **** absurd.

yeah agree with both, i think it tried to be a twist but it really missed the mark, it was clever but irrelevant really

the 2nd point i liked the theory of it but yeah the way they actually did it just doesnt work

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

yeah agree with both, i think it tried to be a twist but it really missed the mark, it was clever but irrelevant really

the 2nd point i liked the theory of it but yeah the way they actually did it just doesnt work

It was when 

Spoiler

They "parked" the car in the car park. Could have been anywhere. And the guy who worked there says "The entrance should be a few paces from here!"

Should it? How do you know that? You could be anywhere in that car park.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Spoiler

In the book it turns out that they have all intentially made themselves blind in the blind school, which is how it should have  ended in my opinion.

I would like to know how the “creatures” came to be and also why the “crazy” folk can happily see them.

11 hours ago, birdistheword said:
  Hide contents

In the book it turns out that they have all intentially made themselves blind in the blind school, which is how it should have  ended in my opinion.

I would like to know how the “creatures” came to be and also why the “crazy” folk can happily see them.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I realise is unanswered

I think my overall emotion regarding the film is irritation :D 

23 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Massive blockbuster scales down action/characters/story and gets better shocker.

Its why a lot of the marvel films are better than they should be, knowing when to tone the whole thing down is half the battle with films like this.

Yep, it's also why I love the Ant Man films more than some of the other Marvel output - they are more specifically focused on the characters, and it's nice not to be thinking about the grander placement in the bigger story arc.

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yep, it's also why I love the Ant Man films more than some of the other Marvel output - they are more specifically focused on the characters, and it's nice not to be thinking about the grander placement in the bigger story arc.

the irony of that being he will be key in the next avengers film!

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the irony of that being he will be key in the next avengers film!

That may be true, I can't remember the end credit sequence tbf, but the films are very well contained. I mean most Marvel stuff is fine, but there's something about the Ant Man films which are just so effectively accessible

• Like 1

Apparently it's become a thing now to the point that Netflix have felt compelled to issue a warning to people not to put on a blindfold while driving and doing other everyday things.

It's called The Bird Box Challenge and it's a real thing people are doing.

Netflix warns viewers against Bird Box challenge meme: 'Do not end up in hospital'

The streaming giant has cautioned those mimicking Sandra Bullock’s character by walking around blindfolded to try not to injure themselves

Last week Netflix claimed that 45 million of its subscribers had streamed the Sandra Bullock thriller Bird Box in its first week of release: a record for original movie content on the platform.

Five days later, on 2 January, they issued a public health warning in the interests of keeping as many of those subscribers alive as possible. The service was responding to a growing social media fad for the Bird Boxchallenge, in which people emulate characters in the film who must perform every task blindfolded, lest lurking monsters drive them to suicide.

“Can’t believe I have to say this, but: PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE,” Netflix tweeted from its primary account. “We don’t know how this started, and we appreciate the love, but Boy and Girl” – a reference to the two unnamed children of Bullock’s character – “have just one wish for 2019 and it is that you not end up in the hospital due to memes.”

Netflix’s call for moderation (but not abstention) from the craze comes after thousands of videos posted online show people stumbling around houses, stairs and woods with scarves wrapped round their eyes.

Meanwhile, YouTube star Morgan Adams’s 24-hour Bird Box challenge earned more than two million views in five days.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/03/netflix-bird-box-challenge-meme-sandra-bullock-blindfold

Thanos absolutely had the right idea.

Â