The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched “The Witch”.

Yep, good. Not much of a horror fan and I guess it’s up for debate where on the horror spectrum it would be. But I enjoyed it, atmospheric rather than gory and sudden jumps which I prefer.

The ending -

Spoiler

I could take or leave it to be honest. I didn’t dislike it particularly, it was ok. But the talking goat, going into the woods, levitating with the other witches.... Don’t know, I think I might have preferred a little bit more of an ambiguous ending, just her left alone amongst the remains of her family, staring at the goat and it staring back at her, in the unnerving way they did in other parts of the film.

That might have been rubbish now I’ve written down, but something like that might have worked. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to watching Bohemian Rhapsody at the cinema.

yes, there are chronological errors and a few bits contrived/cliched but it was a great watch (and listen) with all the cast playing their parts well. 

I know the plaudits have (rightly) gone to Rami Malek’s portrayal of Mercury but I thought the lad who played John Deacon (the toughest band member to do) was spot on! 

Also liked the mike Myers cameo, complete with a nod to Waynes World! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Finally got around to watching Bohemian Rhapsody at the cinema.

yes, there are chronological errors and a few bits contrived/cliched but it was a great watch (and listen) with all the cast playing their parts well. 

I know the plaudits have (rightly) gone to Rami Malek’s portrayal of Mercury but I thought the lad who played John Deacon (the toughest band member to do) was spot on! 

Also liked the mike Myers cameo, complete with a nod to Waynes World! 

Yep, the little boy from Jurassic park did well. :) I find it a bit hard to believe it's little Tim. I'm getting old.

• Like 1

Saw “The Favourite” tonight. 

Bit of a strange film to be honest. I very much enjoyed it but it’s unlike any film I’ve seen I think. 

Very funny in places and some great performances. 

Olivia Coleman is fantastic. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bit of a strange film to be honest. I very much enjoyed it but it’s unlike any film I’ve seen I think. 

Just having a WhatsApp chat with one of my mates who’s seen it.

I’ve since become aware of the phrase “word removed - struck” that apparently is uttered in it. Shall have to remember that one for the relationship thread.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've seen a trailer and I wasn't impressed, but it's got good reviews so I might change my mind and see it anyway. But I'll wait for the BD. Or streaming.

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched it for the 3rd time tonight. It's just...wonderful. I thought Yorgos was a brilliant new voice in contemporary cinema after first watching Dogtooth. His subsequent movies have absolutely confirmed this.

Edited by Designer1
Forgot about Dogtooth!
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2018 at 12:58, AVFCDAN said:

Upgrade is very very good, impressed.

I imagine it will be everything Venom isn't and there is a sweet irony that Logan Marshall Green also looks like Tom Hardy's brother.

To do that film on a 5-7 million budget is almost unbelievable - it looks great and sounds great.

I watched it again last night.  Superb film. 

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Watched it for the 3rd time tonight. It's just...wonderful. I thought Yorgos was a brilliant new voice in contemporary cinema after first watching Dogtooth. His subsequent movies have absolutely confirmed this.

Had no idea he was the guy who did Dogtooth. That’s also a brilliant film. 

I thought the way The Favourite ended was a bit strange. Left me a little unsatisfied but it’s a great movie. 

'The Favourite' was excellent. Really great parts for some really watchable actresses. Love how they all leaned in to being kind of gross at different points, and I loved how your sympathies change through the film with regard to who, if anyone, you like or support at any particular moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The Favourite' was excellent. Really great parts for some really watchable actresses. Love how they all leaned in to being kind of gross at different points, and I loved how your sympathies change through the film with regard to who, if anyone, you like or support at any particular moment.

Yep

Spoiler

You start off thinking Lady Marlborough is manipulating the queen and is jealous of Abigail. Abigail is the innocent one and the queen is vulnerable and being used.

By the end you realise Marlborough was holding everything together. The Queen is basically mad so she had to make decisions for the Queen to hold everything together, and Abigail IS a manipulative bitch so she was right to try and keep her out of it.

I do think Lady Marlborough was trying to get her husband killed though :D 

Very clever. 

One Cut to the Dead: watch it. Don't read about or see trailers, if you can find it in a cinema, watch it. It's **** awesome. So, so funny.

Addtional - being a bit confused after 30 minutes is nothing to worry about, it's all about the pay off in the 2nd 2/3rds, which is executed superbly.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

One Cut to the Dead: watch it. Don't read about or see trailers, if you can find it in a cinema, watch it. It's **** awesome. So, so funny.

Good man :thumb:

v1.bTsxMjY2MjMyMDtqOzE3OTY2OzEyMDA7MjgzN

If you're someone who doesn't mind if a comedy is in a foreign language, then I highly recommend 'The Return of The Hero', a slight but very funny comedy about a soldier who departs for war, promising to write to his fiance, but never manages it, and then shows back up in town again. 

The film stars Jean Dujardin, who my wife and I have liked ever since watching the 'OSS 117' films. Obviously he got his Oscar for 'The Artist', but a Hollywood career never quite seemed to happen, and this is very much home turf, in which he returns to playing a dashing-but-conceited pompous fool who thinks he's God's gift to everyone but is actually an enormous pain in arse. There's some very funny jokes, some over-the-top acting, the last four or five shots of the film are priceless in their simplicity. 

Probably won't be easy to see most places, but it's on at mac on Thursday evening. 

• Thanks 1

went to watch gone baby gone again but after 2 minutes i remembered the end and couldnt be bothered

watched wolf of wall street for the 1st time since the cinema, loved it, its just a brilliant mad film

also watched arrival, not sure why its taken me so long to watch, very very good, very clever, a film about aliens that isnt really about aliens at all

and finally tomb raider...its a bit shit, offers nothing new or really that interesting, shoe horns in bits like the bow and arrow because they're cool in the game, the whole thing just never feels very real or grounded

• Like 1

Â