The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:02, TheMelvillan said:

Seconded. Pretty tough watch at times. Had to pause one scene to control my gag reflex (but i'm a bit a big woose like that)

But overall a great movie with a properly creepy vibe throughout. Would thoroughly recommend it to any big horror/ gore/ body-horror fans out there. Might be a bit much for the "normo's"

Watched it your recommendation and wasn't disappointed. Excellent, different to anything I have seen before. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOF said:

In his defence, he was churning out semi-decent stuff.  The Jack Reacher stuff and people seem to like the Mission Impossibles (not my cup of tea), plus his frankly brilliant cameo in Tropic Thunder.  It's like his religious nuttery isn't affecting his career the way it might.  And then he does this.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of his and he was almost on that list of people I specifically avoid.  But if he's in something now I'll still watch it if I was going to watch it in the first place (so still no M.I. then)

He has made some watchable films but every film you watch him you think its Tom Cruise and not the character he is playing, the only other actor like that is probably George Clooney. Valkyrie was the worst as had a decent storyline but couldnt take it seriously

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has made some watchable films but every film you watch him you think its Tom Cruise and not the character he is playing, the only other actor like that is probably George Clooney. Valkyrie was the worst as had a decent storyline but couldnt take it seriously

My worst 'oh look it's X playing himself again', by a mile, is Vince Vaughn. God he's awful. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

DiCaprio is the same isn't he. Even Daniel Day Lewis in the last 10 years or so has played virtually the same character in every film. Who are the great actors Tom Hardy, Jake Gyllenhaal, Gary oldman, Matthew McConaughey

2 minutes ago, pooligan said:

Life is Beautiful  (1997)

A very enjoyable film , one i would recommend having a look at 

I'll be honest.  I haven't mustered the courage to watch that yet.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'll be honest.  I haven't mustered the courage to watch that yet.

Benigni is an interesting guy that's for sure. His take on Pinocchio is still one of the most bizarre films i've ever seen.

1 hour ago, pooligan said:

Life is Beautiful  (1997)

A very enjoyable film , one i would recommend having a look at 

I love it. I know due to it's subject matter some people have reservations over i.e. issues of the aesthetics of mass death but for me, it is a very human drama set in the Holocaust. I don't think it's exploitative. When I watched it a 2nd time I did realise Benigni was straddling the line between being entertaining and annoying in the first half of the fim, but it has a strong heart at it's pulse.

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I love it. I know due to it's subject matter some people have reservations over i.e. issues of the aesthetics of mass death but for me, it is a very human drama set in the Holocaust. I don't think it's exploitative. When I watched it a 2nd time I did realise Benigni was straddling the line between being entertaining and annoying in the first half of the fim, but it has a strong heart at it's pulse.

My only reservations are over me being an overly-empathetic wuss and thinking that it might be very heavy going.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

My only reservations are over me being an overly-empathetic wuss and thinking that it might be very heavy going.

For me, It's not in the same league (emotionally) as something like The Pianist or Son of Sam, but it is a good watch.

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

For me, It's not in the same league (emotionally) as something like The Pianist or Son of Sam, but it is a good watch.

What about In Darkness. that film brought a tear or two from me. I thought it was a brilliant film 

Star Trek Beyond.

Best of the 3 by a country mile. It was fun, had great characters and a decent story that didn't take itself too seriously. Has gotten the closest to that 'feel' of the old series and movies of the new films they have done since 2009.

It was a visual feast too, the Franklin rising up out of the Yorktown main square lake was just absolutely awesome.  

Didn't have the spectacle of the first (mainly due to being the third movie so we've seen it all now I guess, by which I mean, watching the first after such a gap and wait of trek films, was such an event) but from start to finish Beyond was just bloody great and everything Star Trek should be. Enjoyable sci fi pulp done very very well.

9/10.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

This could be in Trivia or film.  I chose film.

Captain America's "To do" list was different depending on which country's version you were watching.

Spoiler

Taken from this Cracked list.

USA

616056_v2.jpg

UK

616057_v2.jpg

France

616058_v2.jpg

Mexico

616059_v2.jpg

Brazil

Mamonas Assasinas = Assassin boobies :) (band)

616060_v2.jpg

South Korea

616061_v2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

This could be in Trivia or film.  I chose film.

Captain America's "To do" list was different depending on which country's version you were watching.

Reveal hidden contents

Taken from this Cracked list.

USA

616056_v2.jpg

UK

616057_v2.jpg

France

616058_v2.jpg

Mexico

616059_v2.jpg

Brazil

Mamonas Assasinas = Assassin boobies :) (band)

616060_v2.jpg

South Korea

616061_v2.jpg

They actually did an appeal to get each country's chosen things for the list as well.

And really annoyingly, it was only for the cinema release. The home media version is just the US version.

Other random trivia from Winter Soldier? Check out the quote on the tomb stone at the end... It'll be familiar.

There's also dozens of references to Robert Redford movies.

The creator of the character the Winter Soldier had a cameo as one of the scientists that 'resets' the titular character. One of the directors cameos as a doctor before the finale.

The moment where Jasper Sitwell is interrogated on the roof and reels of the threats potentially makes reference to loads of Marvel characters - most obviously Stephen Strange, but there's arguably a reference to Moon Knight amongst others.

...**** Winter Soldier is a good movie.

Not a Tom Cruise fan, but I saw this trailer, and I thought maybe this is a rare good Tom Cruise film.

Its a bit like if " Air America" and " Breaking Bad" had sex, they would give birth to this movie.

So watched a few films on the plane..

Passengers-

When I first saw this advertised, I couldn't help but think it was a more serious Red Dwarf, and I still feel that now. Especially the swimming pool scene when the gravity goes, which is very similar to Doug Naylor, Last Human.

Pratt and J Law did decent enough performances and Sheen was very good.

Not the best film, but easy watching and does raise the moral question of whether you'd do the same in similar circumstances.

Sing -

Anither easy watching animation with some funny moments.

Lego Batman

Not as good as hoped and slightly too long, but it's ok. Some laughable moments.

Get Out

Awful, terrible story and shocking acting.

Split 

McAvoy was good, but overall expected a better story. Left open for a second by the ending.

Â