The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

"Ghost in the Shell" was ok, SJ can't act worth a damn but looks good, so there's that.

She's like the Anna Kournikova of Hollywood.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

She's really, really not.

Very talented as quite a few of her roles have shown.

OK I was being unfair.  She showed in Lost In Translation that she can act.  I think what I should have said is that she now seems to be taking roles that allow her to be the Anna Kournikova of Hollywood.

• Like 1

In fairness, in Ghost in the Shell she's playing a cyborg. I kinda expect a robotic performance.

Scarlett's usually a good thing in a movie. And not only because she will single handedly make anything look better.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah, it's not a quality film or anything, just suited my mood at the time. The type of film where I can browse the web for a bit and not feel like i've missed anything :D 

Indeed, probably similar reasons for me enjoying Passengers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

There's worse people to look like, Dave Hill from Slade for example.

True, but I never used to enjoy choking my chicken over Dave Hill. 

Finally got to see Wonder Woman tonight and my god was that film over hyped. Maybe I missed something but I was extremely underwhelmed by it.

It suffers from extremely cardboard black and white characters. It's literally full of plot holes and has an extremely poor ending.

It tries hard at times to throw an emotional punch at you but just falls short every time. Gaddot and Pine give decent performances with what they have.

And that much vaunted no mans land scene was just such a let down. Even the action scenes look over CGI.

batman vs superman was arguably a better film.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Under the Skin and Her are both utterly superb tbf. And she is good as well as sexy in her Marvel roles too.

Match point, Vicki Christina Barcelona, The Prestige, the other Boleyn girl, there are so many films I have liked her in. 

• Like 2

The Mummy was a predictable snorefest. Cruise was as dull as expected and Wallis was the worst thing in Peaky Blinders. Was neither scary nor entertaining

The actress that played the Mummy was probably the best part of this mess

Passengers was fairly decent if a little twee. 

The dilemma for Chris Pratt was the real high point but the effects were good as were the main characters/actors particularly Michael sheen as the robotic barman. 

I half expected a darker tone but it was an easy watchable sci-fi film with no aliens in sight. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

In fairness, in Ghost in the Shell she's playing a cyborg. I kinda expect a robotic performance.

Yes, she took that cyborg role.  Is my point.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Mummy was a predictable snorefest. Cruise was as dull as expected and Wallis was the worst thing in Peaky Blinders. Was neither scary nor entertaining

The actress that played the Mummy was probably the best part of this mess

Never really rated Cruise. Seems very one dimensional. 

In his defence, he was churning out semi-decent stuff.  The Jack Reacher stuff and people seem to like the Mission Impossibles (not my cup of tea), plus his frankly brilliant cameo in Tropic Thunder.  It's like his religious nuttery isn't affecting his career the way it might.  And then he does this.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of his and he was almost on that list of people I specifically avoid.  But if he's in something now I'll still watch it if I was going to watch it in the first place (so still no M.I. then)

Eyes wide shut is prob one of my fav films and and my fav Kubrick film. I liked him in that. Also liked Magnolia apart from the ending but  the Nilsson song prob made that film better than it was. 

Edited by PaulC

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yes, she took that cyborg role.  Is my point.

True. She's kinda developed a career where she's the go to 'hot woman who can also do action', particularly sci fi stuff. She's like the Harrods Milla Jovovich.

I can't deny she's good at it even if it's not pushing her acting skills much.

Â