The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 minutes ago, hogso said:

So er, uneducated non-comic fan question here - is he literally the human manifestation of a Black Panther or...what? Or something akin to the African version of Captain America? What's the source of his strength?

He's the king and protector of Wakanda, a secretive African nation who have incredible technology. He has enhanced human abilities, caused by (depending on the comic, and era...) consuming a sacred plant and having connection to a Panther God. He has increased strength, agility, speed, healing, stamina and senses from this. He also, in the comics at least, is incredibly smart. He forms part of the secret Illuminati group with some of the other intelligent heroes like Dr Strange and Iron Man.

He also has a costume made from vibranium, the stuff Cap's shield is made of, including claws that will cut basically anything. Wakanda is the only source of vibranium, and pretty much is the foundation of their society.

He largely is Cap with African basis as far as power goes. But very different personality. Cap is... a truly Good And Righteous Man. Panther isn't. He's regal and vengeful. In the comics he often is solely concerned with Wakanda, doesn't care about anything else, and many of his early stories revolve around him having to fight for Wakanda against usurpers and people that wish to exploit it. He sits out Civil War in the comics because of this.

Very good character. He's a good guy but in some ways flawed. He's not someone that will fight anything, usually, it has to threaten his people. And he can be an arsehole. Should mean we get a different type of setting as the story should be fairly heavily based in Africa.

• Like 2

Looks good but it also looks like it'll need to pull the fight choreography out the bag, throw some parkour and martial arts at it to make it different from the rest, basically what iron fist failed to do

more of the jump in the air 3 spinning kicks "what the **** did he just do" moments from civil war

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Is that Wallace from The Wire in that teaser?

Yep

for all his roles he's always be Wallace! Watch fruitville station that's probably my favourite film of his

hes the main villain, Angela Bassett is BPs mom, forest Whittaker is in there somewhere and Louisa nyongoo 

Big year for serkis too, actually on screen in this one, playing snoke in Star Wars and in planet of the apes, his motion capture studio has been bought out after big losses

41 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He's the king and protector of Wakanda, a secretive African nation who have incredible technology. He has enhanced human abilities, caused by (depending on the comic, and era...) consuming a sacred plant and having connection to a Panther God. He has increased strength, agility, speed, healing, stamina and senses from this. He also, in the comics at least, is incredibly smart. He forms part of the secret Illuminati group with some of the other intelligent heroes like Dr Strange and Iron Man.

He also has a costume made from vibranium, the stuff Cap's shield is made of, including claws that will cut basically anything. Wakanda is the only source of vibranium, and pretty much is the foundation of their society.

He largely is Cap with African basis as far as power goes. But very different personality. Cap is... a truly Good And Righteous Man. Panther isn't. He's regal and vengeful. In the comics he often is solely concerned with Wakanda, doesn't care about anything else, and many of his early stories revolve around him having to fight for Wakanda against usurpers and people that wish to exploit it. He sits out Civil War in the comics because of this.

Very good character. He's a good guy but in some ways flawed. He's not someone that will fight anything, usually, it has to threaten his people. And he can be an arsehole. Should mean we get a different type of setting as the story should be fairly heavily based in Africa.

And plus, kinda looks like Batman without a cape.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogso said:

And plus, kinda looks like Batman without a cape.

He has the same silhouette as Batman's shorter eared versions :). Honestly a coincidence ;)

He's also often worn a cape...

12a5d2d7a80351c9ba321c22b4e841aa.jpg

• Like 1

On 2017-6-10 at 04:53, Chindie said:

Tell me... What do you know about Wakanda?

I've watched this about 8 times since yesterday.

That's a **** good trailer.

Most anticipated Marvel movie for me after Ragnarok now. It's so good to see Marvel keep expanding their universe and mining the less well known names. A black character with an African setting, seemingly done with real swagger, looking completely different to everything else they've done... Excellent.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I feel like such indepth reviews like the above deserve a better home than the film thread on villa talk, I assume you are posting these reviews elsewhere?

Actually @Chindierecently signed a highly lucrative exclusivity deal with VT, worth literally tens of thousands of likes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Watched "Life" last night. Not bad for a take your brain out type film, enjoyed it! 

My one word review of that film is "meh"

Too derivative of lots of better films unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

My one word review of that film is "meh"

Too derivative of lots of better films unfortunately.

Yeah, it's not a quality film or anything, just suited my mood at the time. The type of film where I can browse the web for a bit and not feel like i've missed anything :D 

Watched "Get Out" last night. Great little film even though you can see what's coming early enough.

"Ghost in the Shell" was ok, SJ can't act worth a damn but looks good, so there's that.

Â