The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

31 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

So he is just like us then? 

no , you are tier one operators from the best of Delta and navy seals, so to him, you are all pussies 

🥳🥳🥳🥳

More worryingly Irons looks like JRMogg

Really quite enjoyed The Creator, it’s by no means perfect but it was a decent sci-fi movie with another good performance by John David Washington and the newcomer playing Alphie.

Aesthetically great to look at too and an added bonus of having Sturgill Simpson in it! 

deffo worth a watch! 

• Like 1

Wonka. Hadn't realized it was a full on musical, I hate musicals. Not 100 % certain why but I think it's an immersion thing. Having the odd song is OK, having 30 or whatever completely ruins it for me. On the plus side the movie becomes really short when you fast forward through every singing number.

The colours where nice thou.

• Like 1

Also just finished Wonka, really enjoyed and not to be contrary, really liked the songs. They were penned by Neil Hannon so that helped. Good film, different of course to the other 2 Wonka films. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

MV5BOTkzYmMxNTItZDAxNC00NGM0LWIyODMtMWYz

really wonderful

5/5

@foreveryoung you ok hun? You seem to be following me around giving weird replies or reactions to my posts.

Want me to get someone to check on you?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Really quite enjoyed The Creator, it’s by no means perfect but it was a decent sci-fi movie with another good performance by John David Washington and the newcomer playing Alphie.

Aesthetically great to look at too and an added bonus of having Sturgill Simpson in it! 

deffo worth a watch! 

Ya, enjoyed it, visually stunning, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

really wonderful

5/5

Terrific innit? Just waiting for the Blu ray price to come down a bit so I can watch it again.

First time Director too, which is astonishing considering how mature a piece of work it is.

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Terrific innit? Just waiting for the Blu ray price to come down a bit so I can watch it again.

First time Director too, which is astonishing considering how mature a piece of work it is.

Yeah it was amazing. Best film I’ve seen in a while for sure

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

really wonderful

5/5

Yep great film. No special affects, great camera work, great script and great acting. It's amazing that such a simple film can be so entertaining 👏 

• Like 2

On 28/07/2023 at 09:58, tonyh29 said:

I saw it in the cinema having not read the books or seen any of the other attempts at a film or TV.

the first 15 - 20 mins or so were hard work as they kinda laid out the story and the characters for you and you had to try and keep up  .. after that I thought it was a pretty decent film , certainly the best Dune film I've seen  

I came back to read what other people have thought of Dune, because I started trying to watch it this afternoon and fell asleep in the first 20 minutes :blush:

Will have to give it another go when I'm more prepared fore the lore drop, but that opening is hard **** work.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I came back to read what other people have thought of Dune, because I started trying to watch it this afternoon and fell asleep in the first 20 minutes :blush:

Will have to give it another go when I'm more prepared fore the lore drop, but that opening is hard **** work.

Amazing film

On 20/01/2024 at 19:03, Designer1 said:

We're watching this tonight as the good lady wife didn't see it with me when it was first released.

spacer.png

Because of the recent exposure that Saltburn has received, hopefully this (Emerald Fennells first movie) will be getting some well deserved fresh attention.

A career best performance from Carey Mulligan in a really superb drama.

I adore this film. Criminally underrated imo. 

• Like 2

Just back from watching this...

spacer.png

Good stuff.

A million miles away from Hollywoods idea of a disaster movie (here, the UK is affected by almost apocalyptic flooding), very character centric and emotionally powerful with another excellent performance from Jodie Comer.

Well worth your time.

• Like 1

image.png.84813961b78ff799aac59ff9f0e966fa.png

Direct follow on from last years 'One Shot'  it is basically Die Hard in an airport but allegedly filmed in one take and much the better for it, think of a continuous fps. 

I think Adkins is actually becoming a much more accomplished actor these days, yes you get the ass kickin and gunplay but the lad can also add a bit of substance to his roles 

One criticism is the criminal underuse of Michael Jai White but even so the 102 minutes rattles along at a fair old pace.

Worth a watch if stuck for a loose end 

I think I'm the one person on earth who dislikes Oppenheimer. Well, no, I'm not, but it feels that way at times. I don't even think some of my favourite film critics could convince me otherwise on this one. But I've never liked Christopher Nolan's work -- not one single film of his has worked for me. They seem so pretentious and unfun. I found this one heavy-handed to an extreme, overly stylized, and the titilar tortured genius thoroughly unlikable from start to finish -- and unbelievable, too. Some of the dialogue embarrassed me to hear:

Niels Bohr : The power you are about to reveal will forever outlive the Nazis, and the world is not prepared.
J. Robert Oppenheimer : You can't lift the stone without being ready for the snake that's revealed.
Niels Bohr : We have to make the politicians understand, this isn't a new weapon, it is a new world.

Thanks for that explanation, Niels! It's new! The nuke was new! It changes everything!

Got that. About 100 times over in the film, so much so, the idea loses its impact. It's like spoon-feeding simplistic ideas to audiences not really interested in anything other than simulated intellectual or political engagement -- over and over.

Is there anyone likable at all in the film? Not for me. Many characters seemed to be so obviously telescoping themes. It's was cloying. Got tired of all the trippy blooms of fire on the screen and hey-pay-attention-to-me soundtrack. Awful. I actually think it's disturbing that so many people admire this.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Â