The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm currently working my way through the Mission Impossible films, I'm up to Ghost Protocol now, I think this is the last one in the series that I have seen.

So far

Mission Impossible 1 - great film but its pretty dated now

Mission Impossible 2 - Not great it was acceptable but it was a typical John Woo balls to the wall action film which bordered on ridiculous (even for this franchise) at times

Mission Impossible 3 - Enjoyed this one, if it wasn't for the nostalgia of re-watching MI1 this would probably be the top of the first 3 in the series for me

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Forgot about Black Panther 2... Another I turned off after about 25 minutes. Just knew it wasn't for me as it bored my backside off. 

I understand why they wanted to do a second, but without chadwick it massively failed for me. Disnt likw it at all. The first waa so much better

28 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Forgot about Black Panther 2... Another I turned off after about 25 minutes. Just knew it wasn't for me as it bored my backside off. 

I understand why they wanted to do a second, but without chadwick it massively failed for me. Disnt likw it at all. The first was so much better

On 14/07/2023 at 16:58, Designer1 said:

Hopefully you'll enjoy it, different strokes and all that.

Think I’d largely agree with your thoughts. Definitely missing the heart of previous films. I enjoyed it probably until act three but by the end I wasn’t sure if I’d missed the point or if there wasn’t actually one there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Are there any famous films where the "baddies" score a total win?

The Great Escape sees most of the escapees murdered.  A few get away.  That's not a total win.  

There is probably a factual film that meets that criteria.  

Is there a fictional one?   

The Silence Of The Lambs sees Lecter escape.  But Starling solves a murder, rescues a hostage and kills Buffalo Bill.   That's not a total win.  

Any ideas? 

Spoiler

Primal fear, Memento and seven are the ones that jump to mind. Probably a good fee others, that are not horror related as there are loads there.

17 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The Great Escape sees most of the escapees murdered.  A few get away.  That's not a total win.  

The Silence Of The Lambs sees Lecter escape.  But Starling solves a murder, rescues a hostage and kills Buffalo Bill.   That's not a total win.  

Any ideas? 

Spoiler

The original Saw springs to mind here, as well as Avengers: Infinity War (as just a standalone film but we know it gets undone in subsequent films).

The Dark Knight gets close to it as the goal for Joker in the end is to show the ugly side of humanity and de-throne Batman as a moral compass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I understand why they wanted to do a second, but without chadwick it massively failed for me. Disnt likw it at all. The first was so much better

I couldn't get into the 2nd one at all and thought it was absolute trash.

The first was good, but personally I didn't think it was as good as a lot of people made it out to be.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Any ideas? 

Off the top of my head, Open Water, A Perfect Storm, Buried. I know the first two were supposedly factual but....

Spoiler

If everyone died in both films, then no one could have relayed the story after the fact, so essentially the film makers made the entire sequence of events up. 

Incidentally I hated all three of those films for that reason.

On 15/07/2023 at 15:48, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Any ideas? 

Platoon? Lots of bad boys in that film prosper.

What about Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees? They just keep going...

• Like 1

tumblr_pz2idaAfsv1qfg94wo1_r1_540.gifv

L'ete (Michael Hanoun) - Pretty good and inventive.

f6c546b524be29b24a6b82a3c4fdef1e64abf10a

Asteroid City (Wes Anderson) - Not bad

a7c13286e88168d464996847fbb29fe5453c2799

Freeway (Matthew Bright) - Entertaining and good performance from Reese Witherspoon

59 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Anyone seen Oppenheimer yet?

Tried to book it for next weekend. All full at our local Everyman. Was gutted as her backup was the Barbie film. Thankfully that was fully booked too. 

On 15/07/2023 at 22:07, leemond2008 said:

I'm currently working my way through the Mission Impossible films, I'm up to Ghost Protocol now, I think this is the last one in the series that I have seen.

So far

Mission Impossible 1 - great film but its pretty dated now

Mission Impossible 2 - Not great it was acceptable but it was a typical John Woo balls to the wall action film which bordered on ridiculous (even for this franchise) at times

Mission Impossible 3 - Enjoyed this one, if it wasn't for the nostalgia of re-watching MI1 this would probably be the top of the first 3 in the series for me

John Woo is awful, he does the most ridiculous cuts to slow motion scenes. That movie had a great soundtrack though if I remember correctly 

I've also watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and Rougue Nation now as well, Ghost Protocol was really good, probably the best in the series so far, Rogue Nation...I watched it, but I already can't really remember much about it 

so far I would go

Ghost Protocol

MI3

MI1

Rougue Nation

MI2

Getting into the Mission Impossible jizz, here's my list (it's the film series I've inexplicably seen every instalment in cinema... But haven't seen the new one yet.)

Fallout

MI3

MI1

Ghost Protocol

Rogue Nation

MI2

The word on the street says the new one is rather good.

Â