The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

22 hours ago, Rolta said:

I loved it when I watched it back in 2007 and rewatched it this Christmas. I actually thought this time that it had aged so badly and came across as stupid. Al Pacino is the worst cop—the amount of destruction he's directly responsible for is crazy. And then he's portrayed as some kind of god cop who can do no wrong in the dialogue—but it's so unsubtle. His scenes with his wife I remember as being pretty embarrasing. The script tries so hard to make him out to be the hero, but it seemed so forced. I have loved Michael Mann as a director and still really rate Manhunter, and I know Mann's style isn't ever subtle, but I think I'll leave Heat to the past unfortunately.

I can't watch it any more, except the final gun battle. 

The sound is phenomenal. If you can watch it on a decent sounding 5.1 system, do so. You'll be blown away. 

Not literally, thankfully. 

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Event Horizon added to Netflix.

Really hasn't aged well, last time i seen it was 10 years ago.

Liberate Tutemet Ex Inferis.

I think it’s aged perfectly fine, excellent example of horror sci fi, the bigger mystery is how Paul Anderson fluked such a good film.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think it’s aged perfectly fine, excellent example of horror sci fi, the bigger mystery is how Paul Anderson fluked such a good film.

The only thing of his that's actually watchable.

A wretched director imo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I remember slowing down the hell sequence on VHS back in the day 

35 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I remember slowing down the hell sequence on VHS back in the day 

Indeed. Something very unsettling about that film and pretty unique as well.

Nailing the atmosphere and sense of uncanny in a horror film is very rarely done so well, its hard to put your finger on how and why its achieved in certain films.

• Like 1

I watched the original Predator for the first time ever the other day. After seeing various "Alien vs Predator" type films over the years my expectations were completely on the floor. But it was actually kinda fun. Can see why it's loved so much. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I watched the original Predator for the first time ever the other day. After seeing various "Alien vs Predator" type films over the years my expectations were completely on the floor. But it was actually kinda fun. Can see why it's loved so much. 

I remember going to the cinema to watch it upon release 35 years ago and everybody in there was totally blown away. It’s still one of those films that if I catch halfway through channel hopping I will watch till the end, know most of the dialogue etc

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Out of interest how would people rank Predator / aliens / terminator 2

Id go aliens top definitley then maybe Predator just edging out T2 but only just 

All 3 are 10/10 films 

T2, Aliens, Predator but absolutely adore all 3.

• Like 3

On 10/08/2022 at 11:03, Designer1 said:

The only thing of his that's actually watchable.

A wretched director imo.

Hmmm, I've got a bit of a soft spot for the original Mortal Kombat film.  Definitely better than the most recent one (and Annihilation of course).

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Out of interest how would people rank Predator / aliens / terminator 2

Id go aliens top definitley then maybe Predator just edging out T2 but only just 

All 3 are 10/10 films 

Aliens > Predator > T2 (not the biggest fan of T2 - First Terminator is infinitely superior)

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Can't complain too much because my daughter has finally moved in from turning red but her new favourite film is the good dinosaur which imo is easily the worst pixar film they've ever done 

I hate arlo he's a proper whiny bitch

Arlo is awful and the films not great but there's some good characters. The caveman/dog character (spot?) is great and the weird insane dinosaur who collects animals is good. 

Enough about the T2/Aliens/Predator talk, I watched a proper 10/10 film last night. @Follyfoot would approve

ROTFS_ORIGINS_-_Poster-600x847-1.jpg

Does exactly what you would expect. 

"**** watch it you no good word removed!"

• Haha 1

Watched Prey last night and concur it’s up there as the best Predator sequel (although I do have a soft spot for the Adrian Brody fronted Predators, which had a great concept) 

Thought the Comanche rituals and lifestyle were really interesting and how that incorporated ‘the hunt’ as a rights of passage.

Would watch again

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Enough about the T2/Aliens/Predator talk, I watched a proper 10/10 film last night. @Follyfoot would approve

ROTFS_ORIGINS_-_Poster-600x847-1.jpg

Does exactly what you would expect. 

"**** watch it you no good word removed!"

'There's an app, download it you fah**n word removed!

Â