The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

see the things that piss you off thread im sure ive moaned about it at least 4 times!

award season films for some reason get released weeks if not months behind the states

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 18/09/2011 (UK), 08/01/2012 (US). So it's not all bad.

It's not a big surprise though, films just tend to be released first in the country that they are made. It's not just limited to awards season.

i watched gasland, it was ok, it was about how drilling for natural gas in the states is ruining the local area's water supply and in some cases making their tap water flammable, problem with it was his filming style isnt great, his voice was a bit grating because he is almost too mellow and no one from the big companies agrees to be interviewed, it was oscar nominated but disappointing IMO

also watched bowling for columbine for the 1st time in years, since watching fahrenheit 9/11 and deciding that he's a dick, my opinion thats its a great film didnt change but this time round i didnt like a few things, the cartoon showing the history of american violence and the him slaughtering heston being the main things

Just out of 'Shame'.

Wow, it was some experience.

Uncompromising and enthralling.

Won't be every one's cup of tea, but it's one of those that gets inside your head, and I expect it to be in mine for a while yet.

Just got back in from watching Shame. You were spot on about the uncompromising and enthralling bit. I'd add powerful, and an uneasy yet rewarding watch too.

A couple of the scenes (the subway and the restaurant) just blew me away. Fassbender and Mulligan both on top form.

Not for everyone, but I thought it was excellent.

Saw The Artist. Brilliant, loved it. VERY much my sort of thing. The French have so much more love and respect for the golden age of Hollywood than the Americans.

Oh, and Oscar for Best Supporting Dog, please.

Forget the Avengers though. I want to see a film set in the Age Of Apocalypse. Or better yet a story relating to the origins of Apocalypse, which has been done in comic form.

Failing that I want to see an X-Men film with Onslaught in it as the villain...

Always been a huge Marvel fan personally and Apocalypse is one villain that really needs to be in a movie. Cable is by far my favourite Marvel character, so a movie about the Cable/Apocalypse run would be a dream for me!

That would be great and I see no reason for them not to do it. Fingers crossed that it will happen some day...

On another note, the 'Chronicle' reviews are starting to come in and they are largely positive. I was already looking forward to it and now my expectations are increasing even more.

just seen coriolanus

overall its very good, some scenes are just brilliant, however some of the scenes with lost of characters and a lot of script at a fast pace are just brain melting, my enjoyment of it suffered because i dont know any of the original works and at times i couldnt process the language fast enough to fully understand what was going on

that said to say it is superbly acted wouldnt do it justice

Quick heads up for anyone not watching us on MOTD or wants to Sky+ it, the acting masterclass that is 'Doubt' is on BBC2 at 10.30 tonight. Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are absolutely flawless. Well worth a watch.

Watched "The Artist" today. Loved it. Didnt know what to expect with a silent movie as i never seen one before and i struggle to pay attention to a "talkie" film. But deffo worth a view.

AFWIW watch it at the cinema not the kind of film i would recommend for the home

Watched Cell 211 last night, a quality Spanish thriller in which a Prison guard on his first day gets caught up in a riot and wakes in Cell 211. He then has to convince the prisoners, he's one of them!

10927754_det.jpg

Really decent and worth checking out (wouldn't be surprised if there was an american remake in the pipeline!!!)

Watched Cell 211 last night, a quality Spanish thriller in which a Prison guard on his first day gets caught up in a riot and wakes in Cell 211. He then has to convince the prisoners, he's one of them!

10927754_det.jpg

Really decent and worth checking out (wouldn't be surprised if there was an american remake in the pipeline!!!)

Like the sound of that, cheers fella.

watched J Edgar

the films main story is the relationship between him and his mother and the relationship between him and clyde tolson shown at different periods of his life and with plenty of mentions of scandals and presidents

problem is IMO the sexual tension between hoover and tolson is nowhere as good a story as the relationship between hoover and say the kennedys and it never really goes beyond tension, so like most biopic films it doesnt have a cock on the block moment where it actually tries to make a statement about hoover, just a lot of suggestion

hoover and kennedys differing opinions on the mafia and communism and the files hoover therefore kept on him could probably make a very interesting film by itself yet its given a 30 second throw away scene

Watched "The Artist" today. Loved it. Didnt know what to expect with a silent movie as i never seen one before and i struggle to pay attention to a "talkie" film. But deffo worth a view.

AFWIW watch it at the cinema not the kind of film i would recommend for the home

Agreed. I've decided it's that rarest of things - a 10 out of 10. I simply couldn't fault it.

i didnt like it, started amazing then just went overblown and boring before a rubbish ending with brando not making much sense

would be a perfect entry for things ive never got, id probably put it about 7th on a list of best vietnam films, doesnt come close to platoon IMO

Another vote for Apocalypse Now as favourite film. I've always wanted to see it on the big screen. It was re-mastered last year and released in selected cinemas and I didn't get off my lazy arse to see it. I've avoided the redux as I've heard it's a waste of time.

Â